Dail debates the Civil Unions Bill

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dail debates the Civil Unions Bill

Expect before the end of the day there will be some classic quotes to look at[img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

Dail to debate Civil Unions Bill

07:36 Tuesday February 20th 2007

The Dail is to debate the Civil Unions Bill later today.
    The Bill, which has been tabled by the Labour party seeks to give same sex couples the same legal rights as married couples.

Most rules which are relevant to marriage will also apply to civil unions.

It's the first time that the Dail will consider such legislation, and it follows a report on civil partnerships which was carried out by the Working Group on Domestic Relationships last November.

Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Jesus, what are they on at all in that Leinster House.
    "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too ?" - Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by jmccoy
      what do you mean?
      Kiva - Loans That Change Lives

Comment

Originally posted by daveirl
        what do you mean?

I'm a homo basher and dont agree with this sort of thing. I now pronounce you husband and husband, very wrong, very wrong indeed ! [img]smileys/confused.gif[/img][img]smileys/confused.gif[/img][img]smileys/confused.gif[/img]

I now pronounce you wife and wife may be acceptable (as long as I'm allowed watch. [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]
        "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too ?" - Douglas Adams

Comment

so long as they don't do it in public and frighten the horses etc etc

speaking of which, I just saw the new Budweiser ad. Why are so many ads full of male models who look like absolute b^m bandits? And the French ads are the worst...

Comment

<DIV =storyer ns="">
            <H1>Anger at Polish President's gay remarks</H1> @@@@SPAN =storyDate>Tuesday, 20 February 2007 22:40@@@@/SPAN> </DIV>
            <DIV =story ns=""><rte:>

Gay and Lesbian groups have called onthe Polish President,Lech Kaczynski, to withdraw remarks he made earlier today attacking gay culture as a threat to the survival of the human race.

During a debate at the Forum on Europe in Dublin, Mr Kaczynski said 'homosexual culture' should not be promoted as an alternative.

Meanwhile, the Dáil has been debating a private members' bill which would give full legal recognition to same sex unions.

An amendment introduced by the Government would have the measure deferred for six months.

Thank God someone is talking sense !</rte:></DIV>

Comment

This isn't just about homosexual couples, it's about all co-habitating couples and their rights under the law as regards taxation, inheritance etc.
              The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

<DIV ="storyer" ns="">Meanwhile, the Dáil has been debating a private members' bill which would give full legal recognition to same sex unions. An amendment introduced by the Government would have the measure deferred for six months.</DIV>

No it wouldn't - in fact it would kick the bill into the next Dáil when it would take pot luck as to whether it might ever get onto the floor of the House again.
                New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Originally posted by The Word Is Born
                  This isn't just about homosexual couples, it's about all co-habitating couples and their rights under the law as regards taxation, inheritance etc.

Agree

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dog
                    <DIV ns="" ="storyer">Meanwhile, the Dáil has been debating a private members' bill which would give full legal recognition to same sex unions. An amendment introduced by the Government would have the measure deferred for six months.</DIV>

No it wouldn't - in fact it would kick the bill into the next Dáil when it would take pot luck as to whether it might ever get onto the floor of the House again.

Agree. Government and TD's kicking to touch again.

Comment

Changes to gay marriage proposals ‘deeply opportunistic’, says Labour

By Shaun Connolly, Political Correspondent
                      LABOUR last night branded Government moves to block its civil union proposals “shameful” as the Dáil debated same sex marriage for the first time.

The party’s Justice spokesman Brendan Howlin attacked Tánaiste Michael McDowell’s amendments to Labour’s landmark Bill as “deeply opportunistic”.

Mr Howlin said it was a clear issue of equal rights to allow civil unions between gay and lesbian couples to be recognised by the State.

Amid heated Dáil exchanges he attacked Government moves to delay a second reading of the proposed legislation for six months as an attempt to kill the Bill while attempting to look supportive. Mr Howlin compared the reform to previous ones on contraception and divorce which were highly contentious at the time yet today command widespread approval.

“This is an issue of human rights and citizenship. There are many Irish citizens in stable long-term partnerships who are denied legal recognition, who are denied the protections and rights of loving couples simply because of their gender,” he told TDs.

Justice and Equality Minister Mr Micheal McDowell said Labour’s proposals would be open to Constitutional challenge and called them “lazy minded grandstanding”.

He insisted there was “no terrible rush” to bring in legislation before the looming general election and it would be better to ensure civil partnership laws were comprehensive and well thought out.

The Tánaiste stressed the Government was not voting against the Bill, but instead proposing its second reading should be postponed for six months so that more time could be spent on the issue.

“A Constitutional amendment qualifying the status of marriage to accommodate gay and lesbian relationships would, in view of the Government, be highly unlikely to succeed and could, if attempted, be very counterproductive in terms of achieving social consensus on this issue.

“The Government is unequivocally in favour of treating gay and lesbian people as fully equal citizens in our society,” he said.

Mr McDowell said the Coalition had brought in many pieces of legislation which promoted equality for gays and lesbians.

Mr McDowell also said the legislation was premature as the Supreme Court was considering whether the State should recognise foreign civil partnerships.

Fine Gael justice spokesman Jim O’Keefe said that he backed many aspects of the Bill, but was against its provisions allowing same sex couples to adopt in Ireland.

“Last year an opinion poll showed that 84% felt same sex couples should be given official recognition and over half believed they should be allowed to marry.

“Fine Gael want recognition for same sex couples, Labour does and the public does — so why don’t we have it?” he said.

Click here for irishexaminer.com stories before this date

Comment

what do you mean?

I'm a homo basher and dont agree with this sort of thing. I now pronounce you husband and husband, very wrong, very wrong indeed ! [img]smileys/c&#111;nfused.gif[/img][img]smileys/c&#111;nfused.gif[/img][img]smileys/c&#111;nfused.gif[/img]

I now pronounce you wife and wife may be acceptable (as long as I'm allowed watch. [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]
                        Why is it so wrong? How does it affect you? I couldn't care less what other individuals decide to do.
                        Kiva - Loans That Change Lives

Comment

WUM alert Dave I'd say.

My computer thinks I'm gay
                          What's the difference anyway
                          When all the people do all day
                          Is stare into a phone

Comment

<!-
                            var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
                            var SymReal;

Sym()
                            {
                            window.open = SymWinOpen;
                            if(SymReal != null)
                            SymReal();
                            }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
                            {
                            if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
                            SymReal&#079;nLoad();
                            window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
                            SymReal = window.;
                            window. = Sym;
                            }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
                            window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//->

Civil Liberties Groups= Bleeding Hearts Club [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]
                            \" 220 horses, i gotta gun, a siren, a tank full of city gas....DON\'T YOU LOVE IT\"

Comment

what do you mean?

I'm a homo basher and dont agree with this sort of thing. I now pronounce you husband and husband, very wrong, very wrong indeed ! [img]smileys/c&#111;nfused.gif[/img][img]smileys/c&#111;nfused.gif[/img][img]smileys/c&#111;nfused.gif[/img]

Why is it so wrong? How does it affect you? I couldn't care less what other individuals decide to do.

IMHO opinion it is not biogically right. Thats my opinion and I am entitled to that.

By the way Sewa I am not a wind up merchant, just a person with his own opinions.

Comment

Working...
                              X