Your favourite print publication on the w

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your favourite print publication on the w

I'm looking to take my regional newsaper online but i want it to be more than the "print publication in pixels".

Do you have any opinions on what makes a good website?

What do you think is desirable in an online publication?

Is you favourtite print publication already online?

Is it any good? What makes it better than it's printed parent?

Please let me have your opinions.

thanks.

Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

@@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;">What do I think is desirable in an online publication?@@@@/SPAN></font>
    Constantly interesting @@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;">content@@@@/SPAN></font>. Not just cute design.
    Rotate</font> the content reasonably often.
    Daily would be perfect</font>.
    @@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;">Everyday@@@@/SPAN> would be @@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;">better@@@@/SPAN></font>.

The site has to be @@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;">Usable@@@@/SPAN>,</font> @@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;">accessible@@@@/SPAN></font> and has to have a @@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;">searchable@@@@/SPAN></font> archive that works.
    @@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;">RSS@@@@/SPAN> feeds would also very nice.

It has to give me a reason to come back.</font>
    So, online only articles, specials, it @@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;">HAS@@@@/SPAN> to be @@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;">free@@@@/SPAN></font>.

@@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;">I don't@@@@/SPAN></font> mind giving up details, but @@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;">I do@@@@/SPAN></font> mind paying.
    I really don't care about @@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;">advertising@@@@/SPAN>.</font>
    If it's @@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;">targeted@@@@/SPAN></font> then I'll take more @@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;">notice@@@@/SPAN></font> of it.

If there are no advantages to going online then @@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;">I'll stay@@@@/SPAN></font> with the print edition.

I read the English Independent, but @@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;">I refuse to use@@@@/SPAN> their crappy website.
    But, I also read the English Times and the Sunday Times, their website i@@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;">s excellent.@@@@/SPAN>

@@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;">Remember that editing an online publication is different to an offline newspaper.

Aim high and the best of luck to you!!!

Good Examples Of Sites:
    @@@@/SPAN>wired.com (though it wasn't linked to the magazine for ages, after originally being linked to it, it's now back in the magazine's hands).

Rollingstone.com

thisislondon.co.uk (London Evening Standard)

thetimes.co.uk

sites like alternet.org and themorningnews.com are perfect examples of online only publications.
    Hibernicis natione, Mumhan per gratiam Dei

Comment

the important thing to remember is that most people who read on the web have the attention span of a common doormouse. People scan webpages not read them, use meaningful headings, bullet points, be credible, keep content fresh, half your word count, do not use promotional language as it imposes a cognitive burden on your readers, people read from right to left as well so don't get some dumbass web company do make a balls of it for you. Make sure your acceptance test anything a company does for you, this means testing it yourself or with a group before you pay. I rarely read online newspapers as I tend to use an RSS reader which amalgamates all my favourite newspapers and sites in one, I scan for a headline that interesting and only then will I visit the site. Best of luck.
      Frank the Tank is not coming back. OK? That part of me is over, water under the bridge.

Comment

Working...
      X