Whiskey

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Word Is Born View Post
    New Green Spot just released. Green Spot Chateau Montelena is the 2nd edition of the Wine Geese series, following Green Spot Chateau Léoville Barton, released in 2015.Initially matured in traditional sherry and bourbon casks, Green Spot Chateau Montelena was then finished for 12 months in French oak Zinfandel wine casks, from the prestigious Chateau Montelena in Napa Valley.
    Celebrating an Irish heritage, the collaboration between Green Spot and Chateau Montelena is not just the coming together of two unique stories, it’s also the fusion of two unique histories that as one deliver an exceptional whiskey - Green Spot Chateau Montelena Single Pot Still Irish Whiskey.
    Nose: Crisp oak combines with the soft sweetness of vanilla, white chocolate and marshmallow, balanced with signature Green Spot red apples and ripe pears, along with pomegranate, cranberries and maraschino cherries, the contribution of the wine cask.
    Taste: Sweet mouth coating takes on a dry note thanks to the effect of the wine cask. Pot still spices subside with zesty citrus leading to ripe orchard fruit and red berries. A touch of marzipan and toasted oak add to the complexity.
    Finish: Satisfyingly long with pot still spices in harmony with the delicate dry wine contribution.
    Has anyone tried it yet?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
    "If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards - checkmate!" Zapp Brannigan

Comment

It's a tough old station... Given I've indulged in a bit of Mont D'Or my taste buds might be a bit coloured. Lovely bit of spice to the taste after some apple hit. It's a slightly less intense but sweeter version of the Leoville Barton.
      The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

I was down in West Cork distillery in Skibbereen recently, tried their 12 year old single malt aged in rum casks, absolutely beautiful. Worth trying if you like sweet flavours in your whiskey, rrp is around 55 afaik.

Comment

Originally posted by masterchief View Post
          Has anyone tried it yet?

I finally found a bottle nearby. Living in Gironde would have been a shame if I would be unable to find one. Will taste it at the end of the evening today
          "To be energetic and self-sufficing is to be happy; but while one desire remains in the heart happiness may not come there. For to desire is to be incomplete: it is the badge of dependence, the signal of unhappiness, and to be freed from that is to be freed from every fetter that can possibly be forged." (James Stephens, Deirdre)

Comment

Originally posted by JN.Allezdax.com View Post

I finally found a bottle nearby. Living in Gironde would have been a shame if I would be unable to find one. Will taste it at the end of the evening today
            Enjoy JN!
            "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

I did, you can be sure of that! And It was a real pleasure. I found it even deeper and longer than the classical Green Spot (And I appreciate it already a lot!).
              Years ago, as I eat with my family in the Connemarra Pub in Bordeaux, I saw a collection of wine bottle labels on the wall. They had/have some strange at the first sight non local names... After that, I tried to count the Bordeaux vineyards with any relationship with Ireland. If I am not wrong, I counted something like 14 or 15, most of them in Medoc, and some great ones or first ones...So using Leoville-Barton casks to "celebrate a shared irish heritage" is anywhere logical. And the result is really really good.
              Nowadays, about 140 Bordeaux properties belong to chinese investors... Times are changing, my friends, times are changing. Only one thing does not change: The strange habit the chinese have to copy all what is possible: IDays ago, in a Carrefour supermarket in Guangzhou, people could buy false Bordeaux wine bottles!
              Last edited by JN.Allezdax.com; 15th-September-2018, 22:00.
              "To be energetic and self-sufficing is to be happy; but while one desire remains in the heart happiness may not come there. For to desire is to be incomplete: it is the badge of dependence, the signal of unhappiness, and to be freed from that is to be freed from every fetter that can possibly be forged." (James Stephens, Deirdre)

Comment

Originally posted by i_like_cake View Post
                anyone tried this stuff yet?

http://www.methodandmadnesswhiskey.com/en/
                had a dram last Christmas at a Whiskey tasting, really nice stuff - the missus picked me up a btl last month in DF - waiting for a special occasion to breach the seal
                Only fools and drunks argue over everything. If you don’t have a hangover the next day you’re not the drunk...

Comment

Originally posted by Oldschoolsocks View Post

had a dram last Christmas at a Whiskey tasting, really nice stuff - the missus picked me up a btl last month in DF - waiting for a special occasion to breach the seal
                  Have two of them, the single grain and the single pot still.
                  The single pot still is the better one in my opinion, but, they are both excellent.
                  I think there's a third one but I've yet to try it.

Edit, they're up to six now!

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards - checkmate!" Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Originally posted by masterchief View Post
                    Have two of them, the single grain and the single pot still.
                    The single pot still is the better one in my opinion, but, they are both excellent.
                    I think there's a third one but I've yet to try it.

Edit, they're up to six now!

mine is the Single malt - the IDL lad gave a quick chat on it - I like the philosophy behind it, trying out old and new techniques and aging environments.

Only fools and drunks argue over everything. If you don’t have a hangover the next day you’re not the drunk...

Comment

Is the 8 year single malt in Aldi any good? Locke's
                      "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Although green spot (55) and yellow spot (65) on sale in O'Brien s
                        "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Guilty pleasures, Powers Gold Label on sale for €20 in tesco, picked up a btl of cask mates stout edition for €25 top enjoying a sip of both now

Comment

Has anybody been following the distillery in Waterford?

Very interesting back story behind the owner, their approach to production will be a big selling point and apparently they have whiskey this year but are not bottling any of it.

I think they are one one to watch out for.

Comment

Working...
                            X