What do people think of the Luas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do people think of the Luas?

I got it last weekend and its grand in from the Red Cow for a match but I would not like to use it every day. It takes about 30 minutes from city centre to the Red Cow, I assume it must be 40 minutes from Connolly to the last station in Tallaght and if they extend to city west it will be 50 minutes to get into town.

It stops very frequently and because it is mostly on the streets it usually crawls along. Any incident with hitting a car, bike or pedestrian is likely to halt it for hours and the probability of this is quite high as it shares the same streets as everything else.

Given the disruption during the construction and the overall cost of it surely an underground from day 1 while more expensive initially would ultimately be far superior?

I've never used it tbh.

It's still popular and must be better than the standard gridlock however.

Comment

I live on the Green line and it is fantastic

Comment

I used to live at the corner of Parnell St and Capel St, and spend endless nights listening to JCB's digging up the street in preparation for the LUAS. Twas a pain in the rear end. I left before it was completed but freinds in the area tell me its now a godsend.
        Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

It is very handy when you get into Heuston, whips you down town pretty fast. However I have seen cows going to the slaughter in a truck having to stand in more humane conditions. Do they have a max capacity that is enforced at all ?
          "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too ?" - Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by epaddy
            I live on the Green line and it is fantastic

Excuse my ignorance but thats the one out to Sandyford? I've used that a good bit, thats much better because it was built on an old railway line so can go much faster as it doesn't have to merge with the traffic as much.

Comment

I think its great that the rest of us living outside Dublin pay for projects where there isnt even a projected cost to keep the traffic moving up there. Anything to keep them happy.Cheap at any price. Sure why not build a 100 billion euro metro altogether?

My computer thinks I'm gay
              What's the difference anyway
              When all the people do all day
              Is stare into a phone

Comment

Wouldn't mind having one in Limerick. We could call it the Bullet !
                "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too ?" - Douglas Adams

Comment

I've been impressed with it whenever I've used it.

Can't imagine what it would cost to build an underground system from scratch.

Given that the drive is to push cars out of city centres anyway, I'd say tram type systems will become more common.
                  "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Given the astronmical cost of it and the hassle building it caused a QBC would surely be equally effective?

Comment

Think it's great. Drive up to Dublin park at the red cow roundabout, Luas to town. On to LR with the Dart. Great.
                      Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Originally posted by wildRover
                        Given the astronmical cost of it and the hassle building it caused a QBC would surely be equally effective?

What's the shopping channel got to do with it?
                        "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

I'm a daily user of the Red Line on my commute to work. It's an excellent system but can get overcrowded - especially if a full train at Heuston disgorges a couple of hundred people or more, all wishing to catch the LUASinto the city centre.

In my experience, the drivers never intervene withover-crowding problems at all.
                          New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

I still don't understand the hype about tram/light rail transport schemes. People are clamouring for them here in Cork too, but I just don't understand the logic.

Benefits:
                            - They get you there (as does a bus).
                            - Some light rail schemes have dedicted lanes or right-of-way (you could just as easily create a dedicated bus lane).

Drawbacks:
                            - Cost and disruption of building the lines.
                            - Inability to detour around a breakdown/accident.
                            - Inability to quickly and cheaply add new routes.
                            - Inability to easily/cheaply add extra capacity at short notice or for 'peak' events.

Munster - Incessant Perfervidity
                            "Ireland Will Choke" - Jeremy Guscott

Comment

Originally posted by wildRover
                              Cost efficiant yes.. but the for a highly effective public transport system you need a good mix of trains/trams/buses/taxis.

With the Luas you are guaranteed your arrival time, you know when ones coming, you know when it'll arrive at your destination.

Comment

Working...
                              X