Bicycle carrier for car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bicycle carrier for car

Hi guys, looking for some advice please.

I want to get hold of a bike carrier for my car. The car is an estate but doesn't have a tow bar.

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a particular type of carrier to carry up to three bikes ? Two adult, one child.

Or could recommend an Irish online store or an actual Munster based store to check out various makes and designs.

Thanks.

Halfords, off the Ballysimon road have a selection, no idea on prices or value though..

from their UK site

Comment

Halfords must be a decent place to look. You'll get a good idea of what's hot and what's not at least.

Their prices are nothing special mind you.

Comment

Thanks guys - much appreciated

Comment

What till Aldi / Lidl are offering one they do it every now and again and with spring on the way it will probably be soon.
          Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

look out for paddy hopkirk bike racks - used to have one and it did the job grand. think they sell them in argos although you won't be able to check them out before buying there.

Comment

Originally posted by Krusty
              Hi guys, looking for some advice please.

I want to get hold of a bike carrier for my car. The car is an estate but doesn't have a tow bar.

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a particular type of carrier to carry up to three bikes ? Two adult, one child.

Or could recommend an Irish online store or an actual Munster based store to check out various makes and designs.

Thanks.

Emmerald cycles on Patrick is where I bought mine a coulple of years ago took three bikes to kilkee no problem
              Is it only a game?
              And its Thomond Park NOT Thomond

Comment

Krusty,

I have 3 cycle carriers (from many moons ago). Fisrt one was as per the Halfords' one Robbie posted. I purchased a roof rack carrier soon afterwards due to the damage (& expensive repair)inflicted on the car. You can't open the bootwith rack/bikes in place.

As you have an estate it may have roof bars - if so you can fitroof rack bike carriers (1 per bike) easily - I'll get details 2moro. Only drawback is you are height restricted and it adds to fuel consumption (we travelled all over UK).

I now use atow-hitch mounted rear carrier (but more usually detach wheels and pop the lot in the boot - 1 bike only....).

Comment

Have a Halfords one for a hatch back. It carries 3 as required and is one of the ones that sits high so you have a less obstructed view. It is a little time consuming to get onto the car, but is very solid once on, and is very strong. Only difficulty is thestraps on it to go around the bikes are too short for the modern larrge frame mountain bikes. You may need supplementary strapping.Also you cannot open the hatch when it is on if it is strapped to the bottom of the bumper as suggested on the instructions.

Also have a tow bar mounted one which carries two bikes only.

Bike shop in the Limerick Dock Road retail park has a good selection of carriers also.

Comment

Krusty
                    Following on what people were saying about Halfords - there is one now in Mahon Point retail park..

Comment

Working...
                    X