open-source peer-to-peer (P2P) file-shar

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

open-source peer-to-peer (P2P) file-shar

Do any of you use open-source peer-to-peer (P2P) file-sharing programs. I am currently using frostwire over the past few weeks, and have had no issues. I am using zone alarm firewall and avast antivirusand seems to fine.

Is it safe to use these programs, and if so what is the best one?

I use 'bitcomet' and I did get a 'trojan horse' once but mcafee caught it. It is inherently dodgy though..proceed with caution. Personally I always do a virus scan of any files I download before I open them

Comment

I have no comment to make on those progs Rob. Got bitten a couple of years ago, & will not be Bittorrenting again. I am not a virus/trojan/malware sufferer, but I got a fair infestation once. I seem to be quite lucky & only getting spam from8 or 9 gowls per week.

Best advice i could give you is to turn off your machine whenever you're not using it, if you have signed up for something like that. If your PC isnot online you are less likely to be stung.

Comment

I use Limewire 4and BitComet0.77

BitComet allows you to select/deselect the files you want to download from the torrent. Usually when downloading a film I uncheck all files except the .avi which I know is the film. Sometimes there are a lot of other files and I have no idea what they are as I'm not familiar with the extensions so I uncheck them. Never had any problems with it once I did this.

Limewire on the other hand is a bit harder to police. I did get a dose of pop ups a while back while trying to download tv programs and some, ahem....videos!! Only use it now to download songs and use bitcomet for everything else.

Use your head when downloading anything. If you don't know what it is or are not familiar with a file extension then don't download it.
        It happened, and I was there.
        4.48pm, Saturday 20th May 2006.
        What does grease taste like? Is it like chicken?

Comment

I use Azereus and Torrentspyfor all my dark and dirty deeds. I always remove what I have downloaded from the queue for sharing, so I am a very selfish downloader indeed.

Frank the Tank is not coming back. OK? That part of me is over, water under the bridge.

Comment

I only use it for music, i dont have enough capacity for movies or AHEM!

Comment

Working...
            X