Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MUSIC THREAD

Do you like Huey Lewis and the news?
    : Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83,I think they really came into their own, commercial and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consimante professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humour.
    In '87, Huey releasedFore, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself.

I prefer their older new wave stuff. Who cares on their first album is a cracking song. I nearly went to see them in Birmingham about ten years ago but we got carried away drinking in the pub next door and the gig was sold out by the time we got there.
    I could dance with you until the cows come home. On second thought I\'d rather dance with the cows until you come home.

Comment

I have to post about Razorlight last night. Anyone else there? I'm bursting to tell people about it. This was my third time seeing them live and I can't recommend them enough to anyone. Every time I see them they actually just get better and better, which considering how fantastic they are live is amazing.
      Johnny Borrell is the best front man of any band currently on the scene. He's cocky and arrogant but by f*ck he can sing and get the crowd going nuts.
      Normally I like crowd interaction but Razorlight don't need it, you just want them to keep belting out the music and they oblige. The bigger the venue the better the performance so if you're going to Oxegen this is one band you cannot miss.

Comment

Originally posted by Raven
        I have to post about Razorlight last night. Anyone else there? I'm bursting to tell people about it. This was my third time seeing them live and I can't recommend them enough to anyone. Every time I see them they actually just get better and better, which considering how fantastic they are live is amazing.
        Johnny Borrell is the best front man of any band currently on the scene. He's cocky and arrogant but by f*ck he can sing and get the crowd going nuts.
        Normally I like crowd interaction but Razorlight don't need it, you just want them to keep belting out the music and they oblige. The bigger the venue the better the performance so if you're going to Oxegen this is one band you cannot miss.

In a way I'm gutted to hear that Raven. Was offered a ticket but refused. Friend of mine went and said they were amazing as well.
        http://www.rebelwaves.com

Comment

I can't bloody stand Johnny Borrell, he's overrated and arrogant beyond the point of it being acceptable for a frontman.

Although I'm sure if I liked Razorlight at all as a band I'd probably think he was a bit of a legend. Still though, you'd think he might have learned something about song writing having hung around with Pete Doherty for so long.
          "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

So sorry to hear that DonL. I'd have loved to chat about it today with someone. If you ever get a chance again you have to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Jenta

I can't bloody stand Johnny Borrell, he's overrated and arrogant beyond the point of it being acceptable for a frontman.

Although I'm sure if I liked Razorlight at all as a band I'd probably think he was a bit of a legend. Still though, you'd think he might have learned something about song writing having hung around with Pete Doherty for so long.
              [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img] [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img] Pete Doherty [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img] you're funny[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img] [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by scourge
                : Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83,I think they really came into their own, commercial and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consimante professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humour.
                In '87, Huey releasedFore, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself.

Is your name Patrick Bateman?

Comment

Leave Pete alone! He used to write songs, before the whole Kate Moss/extreme tabloid fodder era you know. Up the Bracket by the Libertines is a fantastic album.
                  "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Originally posted by dobbs

Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where, uh, Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as, uh, anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your ass. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and, uh, Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite

Comment

Originally posted by dobbs

Good spot Dobbs. I thought I recognised that from somewhere. Top book.
                      How come when Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider he gained superpowers yet when Alexander Litvinyenko ate some sushi laced with polonium he lost his hair and died? Once again it\'s one rule for comic book superheroes and another for KGB turncoats.

Comment

Leave Pete alone! He used to write songs, before the whole Kate Moss/extreme tabloid fodder era you know. Up the Bracket by the Libertines is a fantastic album.
                        Don't really know much about Pete except what I read in the papers so I won't comment on him.

Johnny is an arrogant, cocky w*nker but you should see him live. Last night he sat on the stage for 5 minutes just staring at the crowd and everyone went wild. He's cocky but he can carry it off. 4 months ago they played the Olympia and last night they played Simmonscourt in the RDS - that's some achievement.

Comment

Don't really know much about Pete except what I read in the papers so I won't comment on him.

Johnny is an arrogant, cocky w*nker but you should see him live.@@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;"> Last night he sat on the stage for 5 minutes just staring at the crowd and everyone went wild. He's cocky but he can carry it off.@@@@/SPAN> 4 months ago they played the Olympia and last night they played Simmonscourt in the RDS - that's some achievement.
                          says more about the crowd [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Comment

Johnny is an arrogant, cocky w*nker but you should see him live. Last night he sat on the stage for 5 minutes just staring at the crowd and everyone went wild. He's cocky but he can carry it off. 4 months ago they played the Olympia and last night they played Simmonscourt in the RDS - that's some achievement.

Arrogance is necessary to be a good frontman, especially when the music you've produced is, well, fairly flat and uninspiring. And the man deserves some respect for packing out decent sized gigs.

But he once compared his song writing ability to that of Bob Dylan, which basically made him look a bit of a clown. Whether he was entirely serious or not isn't really important, you just don't say things like that.

As has now become a bit of a music thread - I'm currently giving 'Good News for People Who Love Bad News' by Modest Mouse another listen. Top album.

Comment

Masons Arms acoustic night October 2002.

The gig was openend by Kris the landlord's band, Piledriver, a trash/nu-metal band who played a cracking acoustic medley of Valerie (monkees) and Papa don't preach with their growling vocalist, Dar Filth, really going for it.

Terribly Tall Tom's band were good as were lazy eye but they played the gig straight so they don't get a review.

I covered Video killed the radio star, copacabana, you're pretty good looking for a girl, word up and Wuthering Heights as well as a few of my own tracks. My own tracks actually went down better than the covers.

Then Matt Jenkins played a filthy song about wet pussies.

Next band, ParrafinAlien, played a great version of Weezer's the sweater song which got all the crowd singing along but the highlight of their set was when one of the guitarists broke the bass E sting on his guitar and had to play the rest of the set holding the string in his teeth so keep it out of the way.

Everyone upstaged however by the guy I kicked out of Johnny Wishbone & the Voodoo Starfish for being too unpredictable. Crazy Ants came on stage with a long brunette wig, deer stalker, Elvis shades and a full length sheepskin coat. His first song was Wicked Game which was accompanied by the growler from piledriver wearing a gimp mask and dancing in the background. He then started to tell us it was a traditional dance in his home town of Minsk. Then he played his own song which had the following lyrics;

And the cow goes moo

and the sheep goes baah

and the camel goes spit spit

and the car goes far

which he sung in his finest Georgian accent while the gimp held up drawings of cows, sheep etc. so we could all join in.

After that Rich from 21 Against sang a couple of songs with his old band, Stickman and as is traditional when Pig Ugly are at a gig they finished with Hipkiss playing keep on rocking in the free world.

Best gig ever.
                              I could dance with you until the cows come home. On second thought I\'d rather dance with the cows until you come home.

Comment

Working...
                              X