Recycling legislation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recycling legislation

Does anyone know if there are any laws governing recycling in the work place.

We must be the only office on planet earth who dont / wont have a recycling bin (too expensive!). I think its a disgrace and am really pissed off with it. Final straw was office numbskull flinging about 300 A4 pages into the bin this morning.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Ps - Its just for paper and cans and things. Nothing more.

Originally posted by SkibRed

We must be the only office on planet earth who dont / wont have a recycling bin (too expensive!). I think its a disgrace and am really pissed off with it. Final straw was office numbskull flinging about 300 A4 pages into the bin this morning.

We're the same-and it infuriates me - every week we throw massive amounts of paper, tin cans and glass jars/bottles into the general waste collection.

We have regularly approachedour HR Branch about introducing re-cycling facilities, and got nowhere - all kinds of excuses were cited from IR problems to security issues, but the simple fact was that they didn't want to get involved.

New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Its dissapointing to hear the above. Everybody has their part to play in cutting landfill and incinerator bound waste and companies even more so. I haven't found any legislation which says a company must recycle but their is a voluntary code ran by Repak which companies can get involved with. My own organisation is certified by them.
      "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too ?" - Douglas Adams

Comment

Its as simple as this. Levy an X% tax on all things recycleable and when you bring stuff to a recycling centre you getmoney for it.If every plastic bottle thrown around after the game in Croker yesterday was worth 10c then they would all be brought home by people.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dog

We're the same-and it infuriates me - every week we throw massive amounts of paper, tin cans and glass jars/bottles into the general waste collection.

We have regularly approachedour HR Branch about introducing re-cycling facilities, and got nowhere - all kinds of excuses were cited from IR problems to security issues, but the simple fact was that they didn't want to get involved.

Where I used to work, we had a confidential recycling bin - any potentially confidential papers etc went in there and were collected once a week by a company who transported it to be recycled. It was a pretty hefty price if I remember correctly, but there were guarantees about how it would be processed so if the papers were ever seen again it would the the recycling companies fault.

Good business idea for Ireland methinks.
          Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

From my knowledge and also checking Repak site, there does not appear to be such legislation. There are however targets for reduced waste and also for rcycling initiatives.

You may not be able to bring compliance with legislation to your company's attention but it may be worth you doing an exercise:

Average nuber of cans per day x average weight x 5 days per week x 52 weeks per year x weight charge (which may be available from Cork City Council or other council ) compared to cost of 1 member of staff visiting landfill orelse compared toreduced cost from local authority for recyclable material.

I'm sure if you phone Greenstar or one of their competitiors and get their collection rate for refuse and segrated recyclables, you will be able to calculate a possible saving to the company/organisation

You might also want to do a similar exercise with your paper /confidential shredded paper.

I would suspect that if you can show your company that by providing designated recycling bin areas for paper/cans/plastic bottles and the like that they could actually save money and also create a feel good factor within the organisation, they might well consider its introduction.

This is being provided in so many organisations that I think that as well as being environmentally friendly, it is also cost efficient.

Comment

We use one of those services Fitzy, and it costs feck all to be honest. Rehab Recycle in Cork, bouy...
              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

There must be some bit of a cost benefit there alright.
                "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too ?" - Douglas Adams

Comment

My employer has 2 offices in 2 different building .. literally across the road from each other. Both buildings are run by the same managment company but have different procedures & policies.

The building I'm in doesn't have any recycling contract, but we do have a shredding company contract which includes paper recycling. so if we want paper recycled it has to go into the "confidential" bins.

In the other building there is a recyclables collection contract so pretty much anything that can be recycled gets put into the recyclables bin over there.
                  Plato: \"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.\"

Comment

Well if your around Limerick you should DGD papers Ltd. I know his rep which is good and your office doesn't have to be big as my wifes office uses dgd and her office is small
                    Is it only a game?
                    And its Thomond Park NOT Thomond

Comment

Isn't Repak just a way for companies to get around their recycling responsibilities ?

Comment

Greenstar are a shower of cĂșnts. Dodgy dealings and spurious practices. Be wide.
                        The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Working...
                        X