• Show
Clear All

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...s-nigel-farage
    Stand up for the Ulcer men

Comment

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49224816

Comment

30 reported deaths by automatic arms carried by "normal" citizens not terrorists and they worry about foreign terrorists......
        Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

It’s the society they want.

No point even talking about it, when a society decides not to change after what happened at Sandy hook then it’s frightening to think what needs to happen for people to demand concrete action, and as bad as shootings get do you ever wonder how bad it has to be before things change, is sandy hook wasn’t the tipping point what could be???

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post
            It’s the society they want.

No point even talking about it, when a society decides not to change after what happened at Sandy hook then it’s frightening to think what needs to happen for people to demand concrete action, and as bad as shootings get do you ever wonder how bad it has to be before things change, is sandy hook wasn’t the tipping point what could be???
            There is something to this but its also more complicated. I live in a strongly Democratic area, in Virginia, a DC suburb. I am sure some of my neighbors may have a gun somewhere but if they do they dont mention it. I have never seen a civilian carrying a gun in the US (I have lived here on an off for 25 years albeit in liberal coastal enclaves). I do not know anybody personally in favor of open carry, or against tightening up the restrictions. As far as I know none of my close friends has a gun. There is a strong majority here in favor of tightening restrictions on guns. Poll after poll bears this out (see Gallup for example). But for whatever reason and like so many other policy debates in the US it has become a political pawn. The gun lobby, the manufacturers and their front the NRA have seized the issue and made it a touchstone of the culture wars. And no Democratic candidate has ever taken it on. This is starting to change - a little. But its a sign of the dysfunction in US as a representative democracy that a majority of politicians can decide this is a losing issue and run a mile away from it.

Comment

The US is NOT a democracy. It's an 'inverted' autocracy. All the politicians are sponsored by the corporate sector. Any house member who fails to do their bidding loses their election budget and another will challenge them in a primary.. America has become entirely corrupt. It's about the careers of politicians, not the people. What the public wants is of low priority. I agree with Trump on one thing. It is a mental health problem. Starting with the nutjob in the WH.

Comment

Originally posted by Yatenga View Post

There is something to this but its also more complicated. I live in a strongly Democratic area, in Virginia, a DC suburb. I am sure some of my neighbors may have a gun somewhere but if they do they dont mention it. I have never seen a civilian carrying a gun in the US (I have lived here on an off for 25 years albeit in liberal coastal enclaves). I do not know anybody personally in favor of open carry, or against tightening up the restrictions. As far as I know none of my close friends has a gun. There is a strong majority here in favor of tightening restrictions on guns. Poll after poll bears this out (see Gallup for example). But for whatever reason and like so many other policy debates in the US it has become a political pawn. The gun lobby, the manufacturers and their front the NRA have seized the issue and made it a touchstone of the culture wars. And no Democratic candidate has ever taken it on. This is starting to change - a little. But its a sign of the dysfunction in US as a representative democracy that a majority of politicians can decide this is a losing issue and run a mile away from it.
                I lived in MA for two years, knew mostly Irish people but of the yanks I knew about half had guns, and nearly all had exposure to them, we used to talk about it a bit, None had open carry permits.

I remember reading in the paper one day how the local cash in transit company was looking to hire and they wanted people with open carry permits, one fella I worked with, military background remarked how it’s only nutters who have them, seemed true the times they came to my workplace to collect money.

I found that the approach to guns can be different from state to state, a friend lived in Arizona and told me seeing people carrying firearms openly, or on the back window of their pick up was just normal.

You might think there are changes, but a ban on bump stocks, or more background check is just smoke and mirrors to satisfy the political needs.

Look at NZ, they have made some concrete changes since Christchurch.

Comment

Stephen Colberts take on Trumps speech regarding these shootings
                  Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Here's a novel approach to deterring kids firing snowballs at your car...

https://www.rte.ie/news/us/2020/0107/1104962-snowball/
                    He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

sure he probably feared for his life in case one of the snow balls was lethal
                      (excuse works for cops anyway)
                      "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Originally posted by Hugged Rugger View Post
                        sure he probably feared for his life in case one of the snow balls was lethal
                        (excuse works for cops anyway)
                        Also works for Israeli soldiers.

Comment

Seven people have been killed in the US State of Wisconsin after a former employee opened fire at the Milwaukee campus of brewing giant Molson Coors, according to local media reports.
                          "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Working...
                          X