Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bodega and Savoy sold

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Bodega and Savoy sold


    Rumour has it the Bodega on Cornmarket St. has been sold to Owen O'Callaghan and will close next weekend. It's to be converted into a retail premises (as if we won't have enough with existing outlets, plus the huge new shopping centre on Cornmarket St./Paul St., plus the huge new centre on Academy St, plus the huge new centre planned for Patrick St./Grand Parade/Oliver Plunkett St.)

    I'm gutted. [img]smileys/mad.gif[/img]

    The Savoy also reportedly has been sold, though it's likely to be retained as some kind of bar/club (and hopefully a live music venue, one of few large venues left).
    Munster - Incessant Perfervidity
    "Ireland Will Choke" - Jeremy Guscott

    #2
    Not sure I know Cornmarket St, which part of Limerick is that?[img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]
    I am not an alcoholic - alcoholics go to meetings.

    Comment


      #3
      I had heard that Jay Bourke had sold off most of his assests save for The Bodega and one other pub in Dubland before Christmas. Owen O'Callaghan is like a leech. Not content with introducing yet more identikit English high street stores for the Acadmey Street/Paul Street developments now there is this. The Savoy is no great loss, it has been a white elephant since the day it opened. At least Connie D's is still there although judging from their autographed photograph collection they might have someone "down there" looking after them.
      The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

      Comment


        #4
        I wouldn't knock the Savoy, there have been some great gigs inside there. Rodrigo and Gabriela played there before Christmas, one of the best gigs I've ever attended! Bic Runga played earlier in the year too, very, very good.
        Munster - Incessant Perfervidity
        "Ireland Will Choke" - Jeremy Guscott

        Comment


          #5

          Originally posted by wayen
          Not sure I know Cornmarket St, which part of Limerick is that?[img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]
          Sheesh... typical upside-down Aussie sense of direction! [img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]
          Munster - Incessant Perfervidity
          "Ireland Will Choke" - Jeremy Guscott

          Comment


            #6

            Originally posted by who?
            I wouldn't knock the Savoy, there have been some great gigs inside there. Rodrigo and Gabriela played there before Christmas, one of the best gigs I've ever attended! Bic Runga played earlier in the year too, very, very good.
            It's main problem is it's too big and would only be full for how many nights during the year. Freakscene has left there as well. If anything it might be converted into something akin to the Bewleys' development on Grafton Street, while retaining a night venue element.

            I've been to some good gigs in there but by the same token there have some very average nights with about a handful of people there.
            The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

            Comment


              #7


              Originally posted by The Word Is Born


              Owen O'Callaghan is like a leech.



              As a prominent member of the Leech family I take exception to the above comparison. Our family have had royal blood coursing through our bodies since Boadicea was a virgin. Can this O'Callaghan commoner make such a claim?


              New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

              Comment


                #8

                Originally posted by who?
                Originally posted by wayen
                Not sure I know Cornmarket St, which part of Limerick is that?[img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]
                Sheesh... typical upside-down Aussie sense of direction! [img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]
                [img]smileys/sad.gif[/img] touché
                I am not an alcoholic - alcoholics go to meetings.

                Comment


                  #9

                  Originally posted by Old Dog

                  Originally posted by The Word Is Born


                  Owen O'Callaghan is like a leech.



                  As a prominent member of the Leech family I take exception to the above comparison. Our family have had royal blood coursing through our bodies since Boadicea was a virgin. Can this O'Callaghan commoner make such a claim?

                  I'm not sure the ancestors of Mr. Cork went in for the same kind of reckless interbreeding that went on in the Leech family which eventually led to Canis Vetulus.
                  The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

                  Comment


                    #10

                    Originally posted by The Word Is Born
                    It's main problem is it's too big and would only be full for how many nights during the year. Freakscene has left there as well. If anything it might be converted into something akin to the Bewleys' development on Grafton Street, while retaining a night venue element.

                    I've been to some good gigs in there but by the same token there have some very average nights with about a handful of people there.
                    Yeah, I suppose it was possibly too big for Cork, it was never going to be full most nights unless a good band/DJ were playing.

                    Now that I think about it, the fact that they kick everyone out after a gig so people would pay to get in for the night was a real pain. Glad it's gone, waste of space! [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]
                    Munster - Incessant Perfervidity
                    "Ireland Will Choke" - Jeremy Guscott

                    Comment


                      #11


                      Originally posted by wayen
                      [img]smileys/sad.gif[/img] touché
                      Oooooonly jooooking.. in retrospect I should have mentioned Cork in the original post, but didn't want to tell dem Limerick langers nathin'! [img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]
                      Munster - Incessant Perfervidity
                      "Ireland Will Choke" - Jeremy Guscott

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X