Bodega and Savoy sold

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bodega and Savoy sold

Rumour has it the Bodega on Cornmarket St. has been sold to Owen O'Callaghan and will close next weekend. It's to be converted into a retail premises (as if we won't have enough with existing outlets, plus the huge new shopping centre on Cornmarket St./Paul St., plus the huge new centre on Academy St, plus the huge new centre planned for Patrick St./Grand Parade/Oliver Plunkett St.)

I'm gutted. [img]smileys/mad.gif[/img]

The Savoy also reportedly has been sold, though it's likely to be retained as some kind of bar/club (and hopefully a live music venue, one of few large venues left).
    Munster - Incessant Perfervidity
    "Ireland Will Choke" - Jeremy Guscott

Not sure I know Cornmarket St, which part of Limerick is that?[img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]
    I am not an alcoholic - alcoholics go to meetings.

Comment

I had heard that Jay Bourke had sold off most of his assests save for The Bodega and one other pub in Dubland before Christmas. Owen O'Callaghan is like a leech. Not content with introducing yet more identikit English high street stores for the Acadmey Street/Paul Street developments now there is this. The Savoy is no great loss, it has been a white elephant since the day it opened. At least Connie D's is still there although judging from their autographed photograph collection they might have someone "down there" looking after them.
      The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

I wouldn't knock the Savoy, there have been some great gigs inside there. Rodrigo and Gabriela played there before Christmas, one of the best gigs I've ever attended! Bic Runga played earlier in the year too, very, very good.

Comment

Originally posted by wayen
          Not sure I know Cornmarket St, which part of Limerick is that?[img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]
          Sheesh... typical upside-down Aussie sense of direction! [img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by who?
            I wouldn't knock the Savoy, there have been some great gigs inside there. Rodrigo and Gabriela played there before Christmas, one of the best gigs I've ever attended! Bic Runga played earlier in the year too, very, very good.
            It's main problem is it's too big and would only be full for how many nights during the year. Freakscene has left there as well. If anything it might be converted into something akin to the Bewleys' development on Grafton Street, while retaining a night venue element.

I've been to some good gigs in there but by the same token there have some very average nights with about a handful of people there.

Comment

Originally posted by The Word Is Born

Owen O'Callaghan is like a leech.

As a prominent member of the Leech family I take exception to the above comparison. Our family have had royal blood coursing through our bodies since Boadicea was a virgin. Can this O'Callaghan commoner make such a claim?

New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Originally posted by who?
                Sheesh... typical upside-down Aussie sense of direction! [img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]
                [img]smileys/sad.gif[/img] touché
                I am not an alcoholic - alcoholics go to meetings.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dog

Owen O'Callaghan is like a leech.

As a prominent member of the Leech family I take exception to the above comparison. Our family have had royal blood coursing through our bodies since Boadicea was a virgin. Can this O'Callaghan commoner make such a claim?

I'm not sure the ancestors of Mr. Cork went in for the same kind of reckless interbreeding that went on in the Leech family which eventually led to Canis Vetulus.

Comment

It's main problem is it's too big and would only be full for how many nights during the year. Freakscene has left there as well. If anything it might be converted into something akin to the Bewleys' development on Grafton Street, while retaining a night venue element.

I've been to some good gigs in there but by the same token there have some very average nights with about a handful of people there.
                    Yeah, I suppose it was possibly too big for Cork, it was never going to be full most nights unless a good band/DJ were playing.

Now that I think about it, the fact that they kick everyone out after a gig so people would pay to get in for the night was a real pain. Glad it's gone, waste of space! [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]smileys/sad.gif[/img] touché
                      Oooooonly jooooking.. in retrospect I should have mentioned Cork in the original post, but didn't want to tell dem Limerick langers nathin'! [img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X