Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An inconvenient truth

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    An inconvenient truth



    you know, if you do one thing this week or next week go down and rent out "An Inconvenient Truth", a documentary about Global Warming by Al Gore. It is very very good.


    Just take a big step back and do something personally to help stop global warming, small steps help. Stop acting the selfish b*****d for one moment and make a difference if you can. Do not believe any bo***cks who says it is a natural thing, he is probably being paid by a pharma or a government who thinks jobs are more important than actually having a planet to live on, and choose to ignore facts at will.


    Take your head out of your arse and stop thinking it is not a problem.


    That's all for now. I know this is rugby site but this is serious issue, maybe not as important as our match against the Scarlets but truth be told Munster fans cannot stop global warming by then anyway, but we can get the ball rolling.


    http://www.climatecrisis.net/


    Frank the Tank is not coming back. OK? That part of me is over, water under the bridge.

    #2


    There's a movie thread for this stuff, Harry is blatantly not respecting the forum. Ban him.


    And I have a question for Mr. Gore: How come the Romans were able to cultivate vines in Britannia 2000-odd years ago despite the fact that the colder climate now renders this largelyimpossible?


    *Sits back and waits to be put in his place by someone who knows even the slightest thing about climate change*


    Oh, and:


    "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Jenta


      And I have a question for Mr. Gore: How come the Romans were able to cultivate vines in Britannia 2000-odd years ago despite the fact that the colder climate now renders this largelyimpossible?


      May the forum note this question: can we set up a spastic section on the forum where we can have stupid questions answered by a select stupid few?


      Jenta I am surprised at you. I thought a man of your education would know better than read and agree about some somecrap froma scientist who is being paid by pharmas and oil companies to create doubt about this. Global warming used tohappen every x years, it does not now.





      Frank the Tank is not coming back. OK? That part of me is over, water under the bridge.

      Comment


        #4


        What kind of a world do we live in when you trust an ex-American VP and not the good people of Exxon or Mobil? For shame Harold.[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]


        Seriously though, I'm quite proud of my small carbon footprint. I even use the sleep function on my hi-fi at night now. I'll be hugging trees next so I will. And driving one of those smug hybrid Toyotas.


        Gene Kerrigan wrote a good article on this very subject last Sunday in the Independent. Full of sarcasm, just the way I like it.
        "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

        Comment


          #5
          http://movies.peekvid.com/



          its here


          Seven social sins: politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice



          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Jenta


            What kind of a world do we live in when you trust an ex-American VP and not the good people of Exxon or Mobil? For shame Harold.[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]


            Seriously though, I'm quite proud of my small carbon footprint. I even use the sleep function on my hi-fi at night now. I'll be hugging trees next so I will. And driving one of those smug hybrid Toyotas.


            Gene Kerrigan wrote a good article on this very subject last Sunday in the Independent. Full of sarcasm, just the way I like it.


            I hope Greenland melts and your house is the first in line for a flood Jenta maybe then you'll take notice.


            [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]
            Frank the Tank is not coming back. OK? That part of me is over, water under the bridge.

            Comment


              #7


              Jenta,


              Get your head out of the sand man and don't believe everything you hear (especially from a lobbyist). The English wine industry is thriving again after the mini ice age (began in the middle ages to about 100 yrs ago) that W. Europe is now coming out of. see http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article635009.ecefor a fairly recent article on the stuff. A friend (now deceased unfortunately) used to grow grapes (no less than Pinot Noir) not far from Reading, and most years made an excellentfull-bodied red.Was privileged to be invited to help with a bit of pruning a few years back.


              As rgds your footprint or even initiatives. Firstly forget about the marketing (& the hybrids cars) - it's like margarine and cholesterol; that 'cure' is worse than the original. The total carbon print of a certain very expensive hybrid is about twice that of say a Saab diesel. Most of Brazil's car fleet runs on bio-ethanol or bio-diesel; why are we not thinking about it here (Irish sugar was the biggest missed opportunity our generation passed up on)? Unfortunately only a few forward-thinking farmers and a few green councillorsare doing anything about it.Our government seems to be against most of the sensible options right now. Presume you know about E-85 and the various bio-diesel possibilities?

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Harry
                Originally posted by Jenta


                And I have a question for Mr. Gore: How come the Romans were able to cultivate vines in Britannia 2000-odd years ago despite the fact that the colder climate now renders this largelyimpossible?


                May the forum note this question: can we set up a spastic section on the forum where we can have stupid questions answered by a select stupid few?


                Jenta I am surprised at you. I thought a man of your education would know better than read and agree about some somecrap froma scientist who is being paid by pharmas and oil companies to create doubt about this. Global warming used tohappen every x years, it does not now.

                Why I oughta [img]smileys/mad.gif[/img]


                My computer thinks I'm gay
                What's the difference anyway
                When all the people do all day
                Is stare into a phone

                Comment


                  #9
                  Harry, if you were serious about this premise then would it not be more worthwhile holding group screenings in various locations rather than asking people to contribute to global warming by asking them to use a multitude ofinefficient electrical appliances? I can see you've not though this one through. It's all the same with you, lot's of "hubble bubble, toil and trouble" about bird flu, muslims, global warming etc.
                  The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

                  Comment


                    #10
                    And of course any of our individual efforts are next to nothing compared to what USA inc. is doing (not to mention where China inc. is taking us.......).

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by mike11


                      Jenta,


                      Get your head out of the sand man and don't believe everything you hear (especially from a lobbyist). The English wine industry is thriving again after the mini ice age (began in the middle ages to about 100 yrs ago) that W. Europe is now coming out of. see http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article635009.ecefor a fairly recent article on the stuff. A friend (now deceased unfortunately) used to grow grapes (no less than Pinot Noir) not far from Reading, and most years made an excellentfull-bodied red.Was privileged to be invited to help with a bit of pruning a few years back.


                      Quality. My mate stumped me in the pub on the English wine issue last week. Time to rain on his smug parade.


                      As rgds your footprint or even initiatives. Firstly forget about the marketing (& the hybrids cars) - it's like margarine and cholesterol; that 'cure' is worse than the original. The total carbon print of a certain very expensive hybrid is about twice that of say a Saab diesel. Most of Brazil's car fleet runs on bio-ethanol or bio-diesel; why are we not thinking about it here (Irish sugar was the biggest missed opportunity our generation passed up on)? Unfortunately only a few forward-thinking farmers and a few green councillorsare doing anything about it.Our government seems to be against most of the sensible options right now. Presume you know about E-85 and the various bio-diesel possibilities?


                      Our Government is against sensible solutions in most aspects of society, not just on environmental issues. But Dick Roche is a bit of a tool alright. The average person on the street (which I would include myself in on this issue) knows very littleabout alternative fuel sources.
                      "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

                      Comment


                        #12


                        Jenta,


                        Don't know an awful lot myself, butheard of the greater efficiency (BHP wise) of bio-ethanol in the early 80's - when I witnessed (with a handful of others)a guy break the Irish lad speed record on the Carrigrohane straight at about 5 o'clock in the morning - on 2 wheels. He was a chemist who worked in Cork.


                        Quite a few diesel engines can be run on vegetable oil with little or no modification. Bio-diesel is another step on and is very clean as well as efficient. There's a green party councillor in Clare running his jeep (sorry SUV) on veggie oil. Excise don't have a category to tax his vehicle......!!!!!


                        Some of the English-produced wine is quite good. Some used to be awful. Not sure how profitable it can be. The guy I used to know was a real fanatic for the stuff - and it was very drinkable.

                        Comment


                          #13


                          Originally posted by The Word Is Born
                          Harry, if you were serious about this premise then would it not be more worthwhile holding group screenings in various locations rather than asking people to contribute to global warming by asking them to use a multitude ofinefficient electrical appliances? I can see you've not though this one through. It's all the same with you, lot's of "hubble bubble, toil and trouble" about bird flu, muslims, global warming etc.

                          I'm not asking people to do anything other than see the documentary. For the record I have not uttered much about the muslims on the forum for fear of being attacked by them and their mongoling hordes. As for bird flu all I did was give a simple warning to forum members that they would endure certain death if they did not take precautions against the plague to come. Now if all you want to do is be cynical about everything, take the hippy stance and do nothing then that's fine but I warn you that you better not cross the road near me as I will drive over you in my new vegetable oil powered truck.





                          Frank the Tank is not coming back. OK? That part of me is over, water under the bridge.

                          Comment


                            #14


                            And I thought the thread title referredd to the banning of Socks . . or is he unbanned?


                            Bad news on those glaciers. Who'll think of the penguins?

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Harry


                              ....


                              ..but I warn you that you better not cross the road near me as I will drive over you in my new vegetable oil powered truck.


                              Harry, I hope that's organic veggie oil you are putting in that truck.......[img]smileys/shock.gif[/img]


                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X