Dell Cutting Bonuses and management

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Cutting Bonuses and management

<DIV>Days after returning to the helm of the computer maker he founded, Michael Dell told employees in a memo the company would eliminate bonuses and reduce management to cut costs.
    </DIV>
    <DIV>
    Dell, who returned to the company as chief executive officer last week after the resignation of Kevin Rollins, said in the e-mail that he planned to stay with the company "for the next several years". He also announced the company would not hire a chief operating officer. </DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>
    He wrote: "We had great efforts but not great results. This is disappointing and it is unacceptable." </DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>
    The announcements come after a terrible year for the computer maker, during which it lost its lead in PC market share to HP and an investigation by the Securities and Exchange Committee (SEC) for possible accounting improprieties began. Several executives have left the company in recent months, including CFO Jim Schneider, who was slated to leave at the end of January. </DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>
    Dell is currently under investigation by the SEC over accounting issues that the company has said could result in significant restatements to its profits before the 2006 fiscal year. The company has not specified the exact nature of the accounting issues but has said they involve revenue recognition, and they do not appear to be associated with the stock-options backdating practice that has ensnared hundreds of tech companies over the past year. </DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>
    The memo was first reported by the Austin American-Statesman, which posted a copy of the e-mail on its website. A Dell spokesman confirmed the e-mail for the Associated Press. </DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>
    Dell wrote that the bonus plan would be replaced by "limited discretionary awards" which would be available to all but senior management. He also announced a shortening of the stock-vesting period and an adjustment of the annual bonus plan set "against realistic targets". </DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>
    In its executive ranks, the number of top managers who report to Dell would be streamlined from more than 20 to 12. "We have great people... but we also have a new enemy: bureaucracy, which costs us money and slows us down," he wrote </DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>
    In related news, Dell shareholders filed an expanded securities-related lawsuit against Dell late last week, adding Intel as a defendant over the chipmaker's controversial marketing rebate programme. The suit alleges the computer giant failed to make required disclosures to the SEC and investors about the "existence, impact and uncertainty of Intel rebates". </DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>Steven Musil writes for CNET News.com. </DIV>
    <a href=\"http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/Ruck_You\" target=\"_blank\">
    http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/default/Ruck%20You.jpg
    </a>

If you’re fat stay in the ruck - Liam Toland

I hear demand for Polish language classes in Limerick is soaring.

I sincerely hope this is not a significant fact.

Comment

it is strongly rumored that a certain organisation has purchased half the
      polish countryside east of Warsaw

Comment

never guess who that could be I betcha

Comment

A friend of mine works in a high level for a service provider to a big american company that makes computers in limerick, he has been told he may as well buy a house in Poland!!!
          www.stsenansrugby.com

Comment

Lodz? Even Ryanair are flying to there now.

I only hope they don't sell any 1 way tickets.

Limerick has been allowed become and @@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;">remain@@@@/SPAN> way to dependant on Dell.

Comment

Not just Limerick Dermot. Alot of companies especially freight forwarders in the shannon area would suffer big time...
              www.stsenansrugby.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dermot G
                Lodz? Even Ryanair are flying to there now.

I only hope they don't sell any 1 way tickets.

Limerick has been allowed become and @@@@SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">remain@@@@/SPAN> way to dependant on Dell.

Almost a total of 20,000 jobs in the area according to something I read recently.
                The early bird catches the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

It's scary to think of the potential fallout if that figure is accurate.

Let's hope and pray it doesn't.

Comment

Apparently one of Nenagh's big employers is going to be upping sticks soon aswell.
                    \"Hmm, no, I don\'t have a gambling problem, I\'m winning, and winning is not a problem. That\'s like saying Michael Jordan has a basketball problem, or Def Leppard has an awesomeness problem. So why don\'t y\'all pour some sugar on that?\"

Comment

Ireland is clearly not a cheap place to employ people anymore.

Comment

Its not but if you think back to when people were working long hours for very little money is that what we really want?

My computer thinks I'm gay
                        What's the difference anyway
                        When all the people do all day
                        Is stare into a phone

Comment

tasty as a pig works there-he tells me they are shipping in polish and paying them at below the min rate but housing them for free and training them up here for the polish operation-they have just given him ANOTHER temporary contract till may instead of making his contract permanent and paying him the proper rate

might be shoite tho-he was pissed when he told me this

If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.

Comment

Originally posted by sewa

Its not but if you think back to when people were working long hours for very little money is that what we really want?

No. I never even suggested it was.

Labour costs are high, which clearly doesn't equate with mass produced and hand assembled goods.

Comment

Dell are building a facility in poland. expected to be open later this year. there should be no significant impact to limerick.<!-
                              var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
                              var SymReal;

Sym()
                              {
                              window.open = SymWinOpen;
                              if(SymReal != null)
                              SymReal();
                              }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
                              {
                              if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
                              SymReal&#079;nLoad();