No announcement yet.

Last Night on TV I watched

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Olive Ketteridge on Sky. A Hbo 2 part mini series. Stunning performance from Frances McDormand
    Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Yeah great performance HR
      "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Heads-up for anyone who hasn't seen it before - on Film4 tonight at 12.25 is the excellent movie "Dead Man's Shoes", directed by Shane Meadows and starring Paddy Considine. It's a gripping tale centred around the interaction between the main character and some fairly unsavoury hoods, who rapidly start to find themselves out of their depth. Considine is simultaneously understated yet extremely intimidating and it's the quiet moments in which he manages to become genuinely scary - do not f*ck with this man, not ever!

For some light relief / black humour, it's followed up by Shallow Grave, which contains one of my favouritest party-pooper lines: "We don't know how much it cost us yet ..." ;)
        Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Another recommendation for Film4 tonight - The Station Agent at 11.20pm, with Peter Dinklage (better known today as Tyrion from Game of Thrones) as the protagonist. If you haven't seen it before, it's a character-driven slow burner of a movie that manages to include some subtle humour while providing a genuine and honest exploration of the relationships between three individuals who start out as strangers. Dinklage's character pulls no punches as a fairly anti-social and world-weary sort, which makes a very refreshing change from the stereotype of a person with a disability as being the ah-shur-god-love-him courageous bubbly hero. Looking forward to seeing it again.
          Tis but a scratch.

Comment

A retrospect look at the genius that was Dave Allen is on BBC2 now.
            Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Charlie Brookers is like nobody else making tv at the moment

(stupid autocorrect calling him brooks)
              Last edited by Cowboy; 30-December-2014, 21:44.
              I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
                Heads-up for anyone who hasn't seen it before - on Film4 tonight at 12.25 is the excellent movie "Dead Man's Shoes", directed by Shane Meadows and starring Paddy Considine. It's a gripping tale centred around the interaction between the main character and some fairly unsavoury hoods, who rapidly start to find themselves out of their depth. Considine is simultaneously understated yet extremely intimidating and it's the quiet moments in which he manages to become genuinely scary - do not f*ck with this man, not ever!

For some light relief / black humour, it's followed up by Shallow Grave, which contains one of my favouritest party-pooper lines: "We don't know how much it cost us yet ..." ;)
                Agree re:Considine, and thought Kebbel was exceptional too, in fact all the actors were brilliant, one of the few films to live up to the hype!

Comment

TV3, Garth Brooks: What Went Wrong? WTF is wrong with this country? Why do we have to make a program about a washed up singer not getting his way with concerts? Have we any self respect / self confidence?
                  A lion online, a lamb at home.

Comment

Originally posted by 5eight View Post
                    TV3
                    First mistake
                    "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post

my film director son's "favourite film of all time" (to date) I agree, an excellent film, though not exactly bundle of laughs

Comment

Originally posted by 5eight View Post
                        TV3, Garth Brooks: What Went Wrong? WTF is wrong with this country? Why do we have to make a program about a washed up singer not getting his way with concerts? Have we any self respect / self confidence?
                        The new UTV Ireland must be quaking in their boots
                        "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

The new utv will have most of tv3's current garbage to show. Soaps, uk quiz shows, reality shows like X factor, let's laugh at the gypsies time etc. They aren't the ones worried anyway.
                          "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Originally posted by LeakyBoots View Post
                            I read somewhere that Love/Hate loses RTE money because of the budget it has. Surprised if that's true. Wouldn't be surprised if that was the end of it, other alternative could be a Season 6 focused in Spain/prison.

Good show, not up there with The Wire etc. but not a million miles away, certainly the best Irish-produced show I've seen. Probably could have done with having 8 episodes a season, there was a lot to be crammed in.
                            Jesus I hope not, we're already shovelling enough money into rte as it is!
                            anyway I think utv teamed up with rte on love hate after season 1, production definitely became a lot slicker afterwards.

given the ratings for it, DVDs sold, and the fact that outside of a few main actors the rest are paid buttons, I'd say its making a profit.

Comment

Channel 129 now sky arts 1 , led Zeppelin reunion 2007
                              Still there's a light I hold before me
                              You're the measure of my dreams
                              The measure of my dreams.

Comment

The Almighty Johnsons coming to TG4 in Jan. Defo worth a watch, quirky and funny. Was raging there wasn't another series after the last one.
                                The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Working...
                                X