Shannon Airport security downgraded

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shannon Airport security downgraded

Just want to say well done boys you did a fantastic job[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Garda security team to be removed from Shannon Airport

11:47 Thursday February 1st 2007

Forty Gardai posted at Shannon Airport to protect it from the threat of anti-war activists are to be removed in the coming weeks.
    However, 10 permanent members of the force are to be stationed at Shannon Garda Station to continue the security operation with the army.

The 40 Gardai were stationed at the airport last September following statements from a group of protestors who vowed to close down the airport in protest at the continued presence of US military personnel.

Five members of the same group, known as Pitstop Ploughshares, were acquitted in July of last year of criminally damaging a US place at Shannon in 2003.

They demanded that the Government completely demilitarise the airport by the end of October 2006 or they would do so themselves through non-violent means, including by entering the runway.

It has now been decided to remove the 40 temporary Gardai deployed after the threat to patrol and protect the facility along with the army and airport police

They will be replaced in mid-February by 10 permanent members of the force who will be stationed at Shannon Garda Station and will continue the duties of the existing security team.

The army will also remain at the airport.

Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Met a guy yesterday who used to work where i do. He's from shannon and left to join the army in Cork. He is now based here for a while (offically away from home as he live's in cork) he get the option to stay in his mammys or the temp barracks at the airport and for his trouble his pay will rise ny €300 per week while he's here!!!!
    www.stsenansrugby.com

Comment

so the gardaí in the box stopping us and asking us what we are doing [img]smileys/confused.gif[/img]are off then?
      If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.

Comment

Originally posted by munsterforever
        so the gardaí in the box stopping us and asking us what we are doing [img]smileys/confused.gif[/img]are off then?

Always thought that was an Airport Police job.
        "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too ?" - Douglas Adams

Comment

Nah, they're bringing in the PSNI..

Comment

Originally posted by RobbieG
            great! i will ask them if i can help-im allowed to now[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]
            If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.

Comment

Originally posted by RobbieG
              great! i will ask them if i can help-im allowed to now[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

And you won't have to wear the balaclava on duty any more.
              The early bird catches the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

thought i heard something recently about this 40 having little to do, so much so they were being sent off to patrol the car parks in Shannon to look for motor tax defaulters. [img]smileys/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Corker
                  thought i heard something recently about this 40 having little to do, so much so they were being sent off to patrol the car parks in Shannon to look for motor tax defaulters. [img]smileys/mad.gif[/img]

Which reminds me - this morning, on my wayto d'office I was stopped by a Garda on horseback [on Blackhorse Avenue ironically] who was checking drivers' tax and insurance. Apart from his trusty steed he was on his own, so what precisely he could have done if someone simply didn't stop, is open to conjecture.
                  New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dog

Which reminds me - this morning, on my wayto d'office I was stopped by a Garda on horseback [on Blackhorse Avenue ironically] who was checking drivers' tax and insurance. Apart from his trusty steed he was on his own, so what precisely he could have done if someone simply didn't stop, is open to conjecture.

Conjures up pictures of McCloud [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Comment

Don't you love the way they tell everybody about it, so if I was a protester I know that the coast is clear again to attack planes. muppets.

Comment

Originally posted by Point
                        Originally posted by Old Dog

Conjures up pictures of McCloud [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Have a camel, you ever been spat on by a camel[img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]
                        Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

If that's the case they're not taking much notice. There's been a 93 MH registered, 5 series in fairly good condition parked in the same spot behind Lidl since October, obviously abandoned.

Comment

Working...
                          X