Horror Movies... what’s happening?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horror Movies... what’s happening?

There are number of cult horror movies but, to the exception of Wolf Creek, I can't remember any good decent one.

Horror movies have often be diregarded as lower quality movies, whereas IMO that's where you can find some of the most skilful directors and writers.

And don't talk to me about "masters of horror" which just underlines how low the current level is.

Here is my top 5:

<ul>[*]1. The Thing - John Carpenter (1982)[*]2. Day if the Dead - George Romero (1985)[*]3. Texas Chainsaw Massacre - Tobe Hopper (1974)[*]4. Evil Dead 2 - Sam Raimi (1987)[*]5. Dawn of the Dead (1978)[/list]

Agree with the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Never laughed so much in my life. The sparks in the woods from the wheel chair[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]
    Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

American Werewolf in London. Great movie.
      Grandpa Simpson: The last time the meteors came, we thought the sky was on fire. Naturally, we blamed the Irish. We hanged more \'n a few.

Comment

Made the mistake of watching Jeepers Creepers 2 last night, i think thats the type of rubbish your talking about, avoid at all costs, and for me Evil Dead 2 would be No1. Classic movie

Comment

Rosemary's Baby, the exorcist, alien, the ring 1&amp;2(asian), the grudge(asian), angel heart, poltergeist, the omen, the bit where the bag starts moving in auditionand the episode of the x files where your one turns into a snake and starts eating satanists.............

Hollywood remakes are never as scary as their asian counterparts.

Comment

That said, no film ever scared me as much as the first time I played Resident Evil and those flipping dogs came through the window (in the game[img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img])with no warning. Needless to say I was playing it in the dark at around 2 o'clock in the morning. Silent Hill was another game that was quite freaky.
            Grandpa Simpson: The last time the meteors came, we thought the sky was on fire. Naturally, we blamed the Irish. We hanged more \'n a few.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief
              That said, no film ever scared me as much as the first time I played Resident Evil and those flipping dogs came through the window (in the game[img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img])with no warning. Needless to say I was playing it in the dark at around 2 o'clock in the morning. Silent Hill was another game that was quite freaky.

Chief I agree on American werewolf. It is top class. And for games, what about the first time you encounter a mutant in Far Cry?
              =========================
              \"Our Association cannot be expected to accept a vista where the competing sporting organisations have no capital investment commitments, can exploit the value of their existing infrastructure and use our facilities as a cash cow, while investing their returns in games development\" - Liam Mulvihill.

Comment

The Exorcist.Carrie,Angelheart,Rosemarys Baby,The Shining
                What once were vices,now are habits

Comment

I still love the first Halloween (Carpenter) and The Birds (Hitchcock) is
                  class for its era. Of the newer ones the recent Dawn of the Dead
                  remake was useful enough, especially when compared to the remakes
                  of Texas Chainsaw and The Hills have Eyes. Funny thing is that the
                  Texas remake was done by the guy who i believe has made the
                  definitive Slasher/Horror flick of the past 8 years (Aja), his Switchblade
                  Romance/Haute Tension was awesome, and made for very little money.
                  Goes to show that when money is given to people the creativity seems
                  to die.
                  Also worth noting that the Asian market are making some of the most
                  innovative Horror and well received Horror and chiller movies of late.
                  Unfortunately the Americans then see fit to try and remake them, but
                  generally make a mess of them.
                  “People are broad-minded. They'll accept the fact that a person can be an alcoholic, a dope fiend, a wife beater and even a newspaperman, but if a man doesn't drive, there's something wrong with him.” - Art Buchwald

Comment

Originally posted by mullet is gone

Rosemary's Baby, the exorcist, alien, the ring 1&amp;2(asian), the grudge(asian), angel heart, poltergeist, the omen, the bit where the bag starts moving in auditionand the episode of the x files where your one turns into a snake and starts eating satanists.............

Hollywood remakes are never as scary as their asian counterparts.

[img]smileys/shock.gif[/img]brilliant

Comment

How about 28 Days Later, starring a shed load of Irish actors? Great movie.
                      Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73
                        How about 28 Days Later, starring a shed load of Irish actors? Great movie.

Yeah i loved that movie.

Danny Boyle has a new one on the way now, also with cillian murphy, looks useful enough

Comment

Originally posted by James Lynch
                          I still love the first Halloween (Carpenter) and The Birds (Hitchcock) is

class for its era. Of the newer ones the recent Dawn of the Dead

remake was useful enough, especially when compared to the remakes

of Texas Chainsaw and The Hills have Eyes. Funny thing is that the

Texas remake was done by the guy who i believe has made the

definitive Slasher/Horror flick of the past 8 years (Aja), his Switchblade

Romance/Haute Tension was awesome, and made for very little money.

Goes to show that when money is given to people the creativity seems

to die.

Also worth noting that the Asian market are making some of the most

innovative Horror and well received Horror and chiller movies of late.

Unfortunately the Americans then see fit to try and remake them, but

generally make a mess of them.
                          Carpenter is definitely one of the master, if you except mistakes like Vampires and his Masters of Horror contribution. Ghost of Mars is not that good either but I found it quite entertaining + Natasha Henstridge [img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]

I also liked the TCM remake and I am going to watch the prequel (the beginning) but funnily enough, I think what kills horror in modern movies is the fact that there is too much work on the atmosphere (lighting, image, etc.). The first TCM crude images make it more frightning IMO.

Dawn of the Dead was also pretty good, especially the first minutes. It plays on the fact that we are used to slow, easy to outrun zombies, watching them run like Ben Johnson scared the holy s**t out of me. This trend of fast Zombies has been confirmed with the Remake of Resident Evil on Game Cube, they gave me a bloody hard time.[img]smileys/smiley37.gif[/img]

Contrarily to you I enjoyed the Hill have eyes remake, I think it was pretty well done but the best horror movie I have seen in recent times is definitely "Wolf Creek", highly recommended (+ it is not a remake)!

The Hostel is alright as well, very very disturbing...

I also forgot the Blair Witch Project which is probably one of the most convincing attempts to renew the genre. The end left me voiceless.

Comment

Nobodies mentioned "Saw", i think, thats a cracking horror movie, Saw 2 isnt a patch on the first though

Comment

Blair witch put me to sleep in the cinema and just to confirm it put me asleep again when I tried to watch on DVD - overrated and camera was irritating.

Chief those dogs in RE scared the crap out of me too!

The grudge was the last movie I saw i the cinema to genuinely scare me. Wolf creek was good but all the jeepers creepers, cabin fever, etc etc are dreadful.

Some of the best horrors were old 80's movies where virtually nothing happens but the atmosphere just builds until you are as tense as the actors(can't remember the name of any of them off hand though, TCM shows them sometimes)Stephen Kings IT also scared the crap out of me when I was younger.
                              The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
                              - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

Working...
                              X