• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finance Corner

Thought I'd open a little corner of MF.com to talk about various
    financial wheelings and dealings. Given the accumulated wisdom on
    so many other topics, there is bound to money gold somewhere on
    this site (betting against Ballyman's tips is often the best way!)

So here goes. My SSIA is coming due at the end of April and I want
    to invest some it in stocks and mutual funds. Obviously, I'll be
    investing some of it in memories as well.

I've opened a Rabo account and will be depositing the lump sum
    there, along with whatever additional weekly savings I can make
    between now and then.

However, I also want to invest some directly in stocks, mainly US.
    Hopefully, between now and then, I'll be able to find an online broker
    in the US that allows non-residents to have an account, because
    some of the fees being charged here really hamper the small sum
    regular investor.

So that's my plan with my SSIA and savings. Anyone doing
    something similar or something totally different?

Like most investments, spread your risk by investing in different areas. Having said that, with volatility in the stock market and the housing market expected to have negligible returns this year, having liquidity in the form of cash in a high interest accountis always good.

That or hide it allunderneath the mattress.

EDIT

It would be interesting if a few of us took a fictional €10,000 to invest in whatever we see fit and see who does best by the end of the year - anyone on for that?
    Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

I read years ago in a technical magazine, (American)an article giving adviceon how to plan for retirement. It said that your money should be split four equal ways on Stocks and Shares, Government Bonds, Cash Deposits and Gold. The basis for this was that one or more of these may fall in a given year, but overall, there would be a rise.Every year readjustments should be made to keep the 25 - 25 - 25 - 25 split intact. No advice was given on the types of stocks and shares that should be followed.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73

It would be interesting if a few of us took a fictional €10,000 to invest in whatever we see fit and see who does best by the end of the year - anyone on for that?

Yep. But not if Harry enters - he always wins. [img]smileys/sad.gif[/img]
        New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Opinions are like assholes.....[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by theprop

between now and then.

regular investor.

Give it to me I'll look after it for you[img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]
            Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Buy land and sit on it.
              Munster to Win the HCUP in 2012!

Comment

[img]smileys/thumb-down.gif[/img]There is a dodgy pyramid scam underway over in the quartier du l'Etoile Du Nord. For €5500 you get to sit instead of stand 7 times a year.

=========================
                \"Our Association cannot be expected to accept a vista where the competing sporting organisations have no capital investment commitments, can exploit the value of their existing infrastructure and use our facilities as a cash cow, while investing their returns in games development\" - Liam Mulvihill.

Comment

the dow is in a bull market but be careful of american stocks as any continued weakness of the dollar may wipe out your profits. look at the dow transportation index rather than the dow jones
                  If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.

Comment

bull
                    Frank the Tank is not coming back. OK? That part of me is over, water under the bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud

Thought I'd open a little
                      corner of MF.com to talk about various financial wheelings and
                      dealings. Given the accumulated wisdom on so many other topics,
                      there is bound to money gold somewhere on this site (betting against
                      Ballyman's tips is often the best way!) So here goes. My SSIA is
                      coming due at the end of April and I want to invest some it in stocks
                      and mutual funds. Obviously, I'll be investing some of it in memories
                      as well. I've opened a Rabo account and will be depositing the lump
                      sum there, along with whatever additional weekly savings I can
                      make between now and then. However, I also want to invest some
                      directly in stocks, mainly US. Hopefully, between now and then, I'll
                      be able to find an online broker in the US that allows non-residents to
                      have an account, because some of the fees being charged here
                      really hamper the small sum regular investor. So that's my plan with
                      my SSIA and savings. Anyone doing something similar or something
                      totally different?

Give it to me I'll look after it for you[img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]
                      You're all heart! I've subscribed to the Motley Fool website. They
                      seem to have a fairly similar outlook to myself on shares. I don't
                      thiink it's possible to make money on a day-to-day basis on the stock
                      market unless you're doing it full time, and even then, it's a dodgy
                      business. These guy focus on the long-term growth prospects of a
                      company, review the fundamentals of the business, look at the
                      amount of debt being carried, whether or not the management is
                      buying up shares in their own company, and recommend two
                      companies each month that they think are solid, long-term (5 years
                      or more) investments.

Obviously, they don't get it right all the time, but they have a score
                      card on the site so you can see exactly how their picks are doing.
                      There are a few good discussion forums on their as well so you can
                      talk about various stocks. I'll be using that for my research into
                      stocks.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73

It would be interesting if a few of us took a fictional €10,000 to invest
                        in whatever we see fit and see who does best by the end of the year -
                        anyone on for that?
                        Good idea. We could set up portfoliios on Yahoo Finance, it allows you
                        to keep easy track of share prices, and gives good monthly and yearly
                        analysis of share prices.

Comment

Having had little success in the past with Stock market investment ( except the Eircom launch, in & out in 10 days) I'll be putting all SSIA money into Prize Bonds.

I'll qualify that, all SSIA money LESS what I spend on hooley to Twickenham in May to support Munster retaining the HEC.

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet
                            I read years ago in a technical magazine, (American)an article giving adviceon how to plan for retirement. It said that your money should be split four equal ways on Stocks and Shares, Government Bonds, Cash Deposits and Gold. The basis for this was that one or more of these may fall in a given year, but overall, there would be a rise.Every year readjustments should be made to keep the 25 - 25 - 25 - 25 split intact. No advice was given on the types of stocks and shares that should be followed.

That has to be the worst financial advice I have ever heard....
                            Seas suas agus troid!

Comment

between now and then.

regular investor.

IF you want to cut down on your fees, and capital gain tax,etc...no need to go to the US...have a look at someone like delta index(Irish co-some well respected bankers running it..)TO get used to how the contracts work there, you can even use their simulator...they are the co that run the competition in the Sunday business post each year...

Investments are really dependant on your profile-I dont work in equities myself directly,Im a trader in the interbank markets, but would still have a sound investment knowlegde accross all asset classes

Just to advise u that leaving your cash in rabo is nto the best idea long term-inflation will decrease your spending power yr on yr....if you know what cash you dont need immiadiatly on demand at any time, go for something a ig longer thats locked in...lcoking in your money will defo give you access to higher yields....

Any particular reason you want to invest in the US?With the way interest rates are going, the financial markets are pricing in/predicting further depreaciation of the USD..so you are opening yourself to currency (FX) risk....
                              Seas suas agus troid!

Comment

Working...
                              X