A nice way to go??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A nice way to go??

Mother and child jumped off the cliffs of moher this afternoon apparently[img]smileys/smiley38.gif[/img]

God help them.
    Any more info on that?

Comment

Very sad.

Search operation at Cliffs of Moher

30 January 2007 16:52
      A major search operation is underway off the Co Clare coast, following reports that two people may have fallen from the Cliffs of Moher.

The Shannon based Irish Coastguard helicopter and coastal search and rescue teams are at the scene.

It is understood that a woman and young child were spotted in the water below the 180m cliffs.

Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest. I was there on St Stephens day and had to leave, the amount of people climbing over the wall and standing inches from the edge while looking downwards was frightening the shi'ite out of me. Most of them appeared to be from eastern Europe. It was either leave or run around shouting like a bansee and "shooing" everyone away from the edge.

Comment

I was there after Christmas myself. They made a mess of it, the new wall, which is about 4 feet high is way back from the cliff, so the view is restricted. They should have built some kind of enclosed gantry along the actual cliff edge so that people could right up close in safety.

Comment

Originally posted by blackandwhite
            Doesn't surprise me in the slightest. I was there on St Stephens day and had to leave, the amount of people climbing over the wall and standing inches from the edge while looking downwards was frightening the shi'ite out of me. Most of them appeared to be from eastern Europe. It was either leave or run around shouting like a bansee and "shooing" everyone away from the edge.

I agree the amount of loons hanging over or standing right at the edge is unbelivable.

Comment

they couldn't in put an official path that close to the cliff edge. A huge section on the southern side fell in back in the 80's with a couple of tourists on it.

I haven't been up to see the place since the works finished so I dunno what it's like now. But apart from the incident where the cliff collapsed every other death off the cliffs in modern times was eventually found to be suicide .. and there's been a lot of them.

it's such a regular occurance at this stage that everyone knows exactly where the bodies are likely to surface in almost any conditions. They found the 2 bodies from today fairly quickly. During the summer they usually turn up on the main swimming beach.

Plato: \"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.\"

Comment

it was suggested by one news report i heard that they were non-nationals. It was also reported that the little boy was alive when found but died later. Poor guy. Sometimes these things can't be predicted or prevented, but there have been cases where woeful mental health care has contributed to some degree. I hope this wasn't one such case.

Comment

Originally posted by beir bua
                  it was suggested by one news report i heard that they were non-nationals. It was also reported that the little boy was alive when found but died later. Poor guy. Sometimes these things can't be predicted or prevented, but there have been cases where woeful mental health care has contributed to some degree. I hope this wasn't one such case.

Indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by wildRover

I was there after Christmas myself. They made a mess of it, the new wall, which is about 4 feet high is way back from the cliff, so the view is restricted. They should have built some kind of enclosed gantry along the actual cliff edge so that people could right up close in safety.

Now, how would a gantry on a cliff edge be considered safe. Sections of cliff do tend tocollapse into the ocean when erosion gets to a certain stage. Doesn't take much brain power to risk assess that one.
                    "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too ?" - Douglas Adams

Comment

Latest news is that the 26 year old woman and 5 year old boy were from Cork. It puts life into perspective, when you hear tragic events like this.

Comment

Originally posted by shep
                        Latest news is that the 26 year old woman and 5 year old boy were from Cork. It puts life into perspective, when you hear tragic events like this.

This is without a doubt an extremely tragic case. Clare Co. Co. should really put the spotlight on the area to prevent such tragedies as this is not an isolated incident.
                        "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too ?" - Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by jmccoy

This is without a doubt an extremely tragic case. Clare Co. Co. should really put the spotlight on the area to prevent such tragedies as this is not an isolated incident.
                          i disagree. Without wanting to sound morbid, but if someone wants to end their days they'll find a way. Putting a fence up in on the cliffs of Moher may just ensure the tourists don't have to come across it.

Comment

Originally posted by jmccoy

This is without a doubt an extremely tragic case. Clare Co. Co. should really put the spotlight on the area to prevent such tragedies as this is not an isolated incident. - True. Heard a story (might be an urban myth) of people travelling from Germany and enquiring at the Tourist Office in Ennis about how to get out there - & didn'twant a bus back.....

jm, unfortunately Clare Co. Council actually have put the spotlight on the area. They have spent millions on 'infrastructure' and more on marketing (mainly overseas). The project was railroaded through against the wishes of many in the area/county/many councillors/many environmentally interested groups. The carrot was the 'millions' that some behind the scheme reckoned stood to be made from it. They also got junkets to places like Portugal. I know the spot in Portugal they were supposed to have visited/used as a blueprint and that is a bit like the Loop - far nicer and you don't have to look at Inis Oirr, and only the birds, whales, etc (+ a few rare plants) for company - i.e. left in it's pristine state.

Comment

<!-
                              var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
                              var SymReal;

Sym()
                              {
                              window.open = SymWinOpen;
                              if(SymReal != null)
                              SymReal();
                              }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
                              {
                              if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
                              SymReal&#079;nLoad();
                              window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
                              SymReal = window.;
                              window. = Sym;
                              }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
                              window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//->

The cliffs arefar safer nowthan what they were but you can't stop people going outside the safe areas to spots which are not protected and this is what happened in this case unfortunately.

The newvisitor centre will be opened by Bertie on the 9th of February. There are also rangers on duty at the site to keep an eye out for people in difficulty and for other purposes and their job can't be easy.

"This was the performance Ireland had been threatening all championship but had only managed to produce in fits and starts. Defeats at the hands of France and Wales had put paid to their title aspirations, never mind a Grand Slam, but yesterday’s emphatic 24-8 win shows that this is a team moving in the right direction."

The Irish Times after Ireland beat England at Lansdowne Road on 19/03/11

Comment

Working...
                              X