No announcement yet.

Oh, the night feeds!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unrelated or possibly tangential. A friend of mine had shingles when we were kids (80's). Anyway, he took all the stuff the doctors prescribed but nothing ever worked he was in bits with it until his mother sent him to the local faith healer (I was skeptical, even as a kid) but it worked, he was back to normal within about 3 days. He swears it worked, even though all she did was prick her finger with a pin and draw loads of crucifixes in blood all over him and tell him not to wash it off for a week.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
    "If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards - checkmate!" Zapp Brannigan

Comment

What could go wrong??!!

I reckon that one case proves it works....
      "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

In the regency, victorian eras placing leeches to drain people of the bad blood causing all their aliments was a very common occurrence. There were few reported complaints from the people who had it done.......but that could also be as a result of them not surviving said treatment .

Re chicken pox Ibuprofen/brufen/nurofen is contraindicated in chicken pox as it increases the risk of getting serious skin infections. Paracetamol, calamine lotion and if the child is very unsettled or finding it difficult to sleep vallergan syrup is very useful.

The pain of shingles is usually the major issue and it's unusual in children. In both cases anyone diagnosed with either should avoid pregnant women or anyone with immunity issues. In adults Versatis/lignocaine patches are very effective but don't think there's a licence for it for children.

Comment

he only got very mild chicken pox when he did get it a few years ago. he doesnt seem to be getting the real pain that an adult can get with shingles, but hes itchy alright
          "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

As some of you may know, our three and a half year old daughter has been extremely unwell. She has gone from being ostensibly normal, at the end of November, to now being unable to sit up, hold her head up, roll over, walk or even stand up. Her breathing, speech and swallowing have also been severely affected.

The initial prognosis was that she had muscular dystrophy. Obviously we were absolutely devastated by this prospect and the last 7 weeks have been beyond grim as we watched her literally fall apart in front of our eyes.

Last week we were in hospital for all sorts of tests which included her undergoing two general anaesthetics to do biopsies, lumbar punctures and MRIs. The terrifying speed of her deterioration was such that I will admit that I questioned whether she would still be with us by Easter. They let us home late on Saturday afternoon, we got home just in time to watch the game, but I returned with her on Monday morning fearing the worst.

We arrived to be greeted by her neurologist who took us around to the nearest window and started inspecting her finger nails. He then proceeded to tell me the best thing that I have ever heard. Such was the terrifying speed of her deterioration he had been doubtful of the muscular dystrophy diagnosis but couldn’t work out what was going on. Fortunately the most brilliant people abhor being mystified and he had come up with a diagnosis of juvenile dermatomyositis which is an incredibly rare autoimmune disease. This has now been confirmed. Crucially for us the condition is reversible and, hopefully, manageable without too many significant long term issues. Nora has started a course of extremely hardcore steroids coupled with a cocktail of other drugs to bring her immune system back under control and stop it attacking her body. They are very hopeful that the treatment, coupled with rehabilitation and physio will see her back to herself in a couple of years.

Our care has been quite exceptional at every level, it has been truly humbling to be the beneficiary of such extraordinary levels of expertise and professionalism.

We are beyong elated, I feel like our darling girl has been reborn to us.

Thank you to everyone on the forum for your kind messages, it really has helped to know that people were keeping us in their thoughts and prayers.

Comment

That’s fantastic news PP. Delighted for you and all the family. Seeing a little one going through the pain of lumbar puncture etc is horrible but when you get positive news at the end it’s all worth it.

You won’t know yourselves when Nora is back to her former self again. I can only imagine the relief you and the Mrs must feel
              "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Comment

Delighted for ye.

Comment

Best news all year!!!
                  Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Great stuff
                    "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Delighted for ye PP, can't imagine what that was like for ye. Onwards and upwards now!
                      When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

Nora and I are still in hospital so they can monitor her closely while she adapts to the drug regime but she is a different kid since she has started the steroids. She has started walking again and her heals are gradually getting lower as her core builds up strength. She has got her voice and speech back and is bossing everyone around (just like her mother)!?!? And along with all that she is sleeping properly with no teeth grinding or pain in her muscles. Hopefully we will be home on Tuesday.

Comment

Fantastic to read that PP. What a difference a week has made.
                          Tis but a scratch.

Comment

I'm really pleased to read that PP. There is nothing worse then seeing one of your own children suffering.
                            Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Great news indeed

Comment

Working...
                              X