Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hugged Rugger
    replied
    Anyone else wondering is there truth in full/supermoons having affect on some kids? My fella acting like he's on speed

Leave a comment:

• Mrenda
    replied
    Would anyone with primary school, or near primary school children (or sure, former primary school children,) take a look at something I wrote? Kid's reading/activity work. http://niamhodonovan.com/sneak-peek-...-kids-writing/

It's an extract of something I wrote, and a collaboration with an artist friend. The premise of it is that it's real life kid's activities that the child reads, and maybe does with an adult; a guardian, aunt, uncle, parent, grandparent, or even a responsible older sibling or cousin. It's about cooking, "A Bad Breakfast," for someone you love. (<3 d'aaaw.) The Bad Breakfast for Someone You Love, burned eggs, rashers and hot sauce could be cooked for a special occasion, father's/mother's day, a birthday, anything... Its design is to get a child reading, and engaging with something while also engaging with a guardian/carer over a fun activity.

The artist is a friend of mine, she does amazing work and this is the first time she's done children's illustration, as far as I know. I have to say I'm completely humbled by the effort she put in. I described a simple idea of what I was looking for, the frying pan with the food and a bottle of hot sauce, but how she ran with it really boosted me. She took my writing seriously and really worked it as though it was a proper commission. As someone trying to find my feet with writing (even with self-pubbed novels out there) it was a joy to be taken as someone seriously involved with the creative process.

The article is only an extract. If someone here wanted a full version I'd be happy to provide it. Even more so as my website deals with a fair few heavy topics, with equally heavy language. I can get you a PDF, art and all and if you wanted to print it off it'd be great. I'm really hoping a magazine, newspaper or publisher would pick up this writing so I don't want to give the whole article away online with first publishing rights a concern. But if a Munsterfan wanted to test it out with a child I'd be really appreciative. If you're really taken about it I have more articles/advice in the works, although without art.

Anyway, the article again; Burned Eggs, Rashers and Hot Sauce.

Leave a comment:

• Boo-boo
    replied
    My husband's ister , 17 years ago, thin as a latt, 5ft 8 carried twins and found out at 7 months because they scanned her thinking the baby was breech. i remember when she rang me she managed to say twins and the rest was floundering excitement, shock and fear!. she was at our wedding in a normal dress and you cant tell from the photos that she is pregnant either with one never mind 2. they were born full term at above 6lbs each, 3 weeks later. Both babies were standing side by side like soldiers in the womb.

Leave a comment:

• the plastic paddy
    replied
    It is jaw droppingly bizarre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• mr chips
    replied
    Happened to the sister of one of my wife's colleagues last year - discovered she was expecting about a week before she was due. Thin as a rake, too. Baby is healthy and AFAIK was a normal birth weight.

Leave a comment:

• the plastic paddy
    replied
    Oh, the night feeds!

Originally posted by Mrenda View Post
    If she said she didn't know why wouldn't you believe her? It's not common but it does happen.
    I do believe her and I know of another situation the same that, again, involved a very fit and active young woman. This young lady was carrying about 25 KG sacks of corn less than a week before having her baby. It really is unbelievable. EDIT My question is whether others know of similar stories. It is not the pregnancy that is extraordinary, it is that a girl who, I would guess, is no more than a size 10 can carry an eight pound baby with absolutely no outward sign and know nothing about it, which she really didn't.

Last edited by the plastic paddy; 10th-November-2016, 22:23.

Leave a comment:

• Mrenda
    replied
    If she said she didn't know why wouldn't you believe her? It's not common but it does happen.

Leave a comment:

• bundi
    replied
    Bit mad alright, however a college of my sisters, early sixties with two children in 3rd level ,annual medical revealed 4mths gone. Fairly stifled Sunday dinner conversation I bet.

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• the plastic paddy
    replied
    Oh, the night feeds!

So..... really good kid, who I have known since she was 10 and is now 19, went into hospital with stomach pains and left with an 8 pound baby boy. She swears blind she did not know she was pregnant and, having been out shooting with her two weeks before she gave birth, she was not carrying a pound of extra weight and wasn't shirking her duties as a student gamekeeper, she did not look even remotely pregnant. I wonder what people think? EDIT Obviously I am not sitting in judgement on her getting pregnant, only wondering whether people think it is possible she didn't know.

Last edited by the plastic paddy; 10th-November-2016, 20:07.

Leave a comment:

• acheter
    replied
    Enjoy PP best time of your life and your other half!

Leave a comment:

• Boo-boo
    replied
    I am careful with the TV and radio. I am allergic to the news. I can catch the news at 9 o'clock when they're all done but usually I woukd go online. I let the older ones connect their music to the car radio so I can avoid news every half hour. I would never have the radio on in the house. I like peace. The world is too screwed up but even more screwed up is 24 hour news. Our telly hasn't been on in days. I'm not sure they are bothered or either that they're too lazy to search for the now mislaid controls.
    At least I know I'm not alone in hoping to preserve a reasonable amount innocence.

Leave a comment:

• Balla Boy
    replied
    Originally posted by Boo-boo View Post
    Rant alert. ..again

My 5 year old came home with a library book from their school library run by 2 volunteer parents. One was a librarian. The book was Hiroshima, the first atom bomb, complete with vivid pictures which she has already gone through . I emailed the school saying that I don't expect age rated books but I do expect a degree of common sense.
    Have some people no idea about preserving a child's innocence or am I too sensitive? Am I going to sit by her bed tonight and read to her as always...Once upon a time in a land far away...?

You're not alone. I'd lose my ****. They get some very powerful fears in their heads at that age. 5 year olds don't need to know about nuclear bombs. Mine doesn't know about Syria or anything else either. As far as he's concerned, the world is largely a good place.

I'm hoping that will have stuck by the time he encounters more of it.

Leave a comment:

• Upfront_1979
    replied
    Do you watch the news (Syria) or leave talk radio on in the car or at home?
    Not judging as its something I worry about as well.
    I have vivid memories of watching the news as a kid but equally my sister who is close in age doesn't. Its hard to know what will affect a child and what will be forgotten

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Boo-boo
    replied
    Rant alert. ..again

My 5 year old came home with a library book from their school library run by 2 volunteer parents. One was a librarian. The book was Hiroshima, the first atom bomb, complete with vivid pictures which she has already gone through . I emailed the school saying that I don't expect age rated books but I do expect a degree of common sense.
    Have some people no idea about preserving a child's innocence or am I too sensitive? Am I going to sit by her bed tonight and read to her as always...Once upon a time in a land far away...?

Leave a comment:

• Hugged Rugger
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	and the wiener is.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	2488060

Leave a comment:

Working...
X