Free food!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free food!!

Now that I have you attention... and I'm not lying! You do get free food!!

IBTS Mobile Clinic:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width=439 ="tableGrey"><T>
    <T>
    <TR>
    <TD ="tableGreyDarkSq">Venue:</TD>
    <TD ="tableGreyDarkSq">Kilmurry Lodge</TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD ="tableGreySq">Date:</TD>
    <TD ="tableGreySq">Wed, 31 Jan 2007</TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD ="tableGreyDarkSq">Address:</TD>
    <TD ="tableGreyDarkSq">Castletroy, Co. Limerick</TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD ="tableGreySq">Time:</TD>
    <TD ="tableGreySq">6:00pm » 9:00pm</TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD ="tableGreyDarkSq">Contact:</TD>
    <TD ="tableGreyDarkSq">Castletroy Mobile Clinic</TD></TR></T></T></TABLE>

<T>
    <TR>
    <TD ="tableGreyDarkSq">Mallow Park Hotel</TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD ="tableGreySq">Tue, 30 Jan 2007</TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD ="tableGreyDarkSq">Mallow, Co. Cork</TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD ="tableGreySq">5.00pm » 8.00pm</TD></TR></T></T></TABLE>

<T>
    <TR>
    <TD ="tableGreyDarkSq">Mallow Park Hotel</TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD ="tableGreySq">Wed, 31 Jan 2007</TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD ="tableGreyDarkSq">Mallow, Co. Cork</TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD ="tableGreySq">3.00pm » 5.00pm
    7.00pm » 9.00pm</TD></TR></T></T></TABLE>
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man - George Bernard Shaw

http://www.ibts.ie/clinic_search.cfm?mID=4&amp;sID=89

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

...If you're a vampire [img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

On a serious note - I give blood3 times a year - great cause. I didn't realise until recentlythat the blood I donate only lastsa few weeks. No wonder a constant stream is needed.

Comment

But they won't take my blood as Ilived in the UK in the past.

I used to donate every 6 months over there as Iam B+, have contactedthe IBTS and they told me thereis no way around it.[img]smileys/smiley37.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by dermotmccarthy

But they won't take my blood as Ilived in the UK in the past.

I used to donate every 6 months over there as Iam B+, have contactedthe IBTS and they told me thereis no way around it.[img]smileys/smiley37.gif[/img]

I'm in the same boat Dermot (as is all the family). Raised it with the person-in-charge last time they visited, and also pointed out that my blood is acceptable in Italy (where they did test for hep, etc.....). Suggested I contact Head Office. Made the call, but didn't get anywhere (I got the feeling that everyone there is an slightly off-centre (I had a silver pin, but they have no record of it......).

Think we have another 'well-run' semi-state here......[img]smileys/c&#111;nfused.gif[/img]

Comment

That HEP C tribunal cost us enough, and we got no real answer, except what we knew all along - the screening process wasn't up to scratch. Now your blood is being screened.

Do we need a BSE in Humanstribunal too. In about 3 years time (open to correction), your blood will be acceptable here again.

I for one don't want any possibility of my kids getting infected with either of those diseases heaven forbid an accident that requires a transfusion.

Live with the less significant un-altruistic side effect of safety for all our sakes.

Comment

toyman,

Yes we need blood tested for any conceivable contamination or infection. The so-called threat to humans from BSE has not materialised (despite some appaling practices that were commonplace both here and inUK abbatoirs). There is a company in the countyI live in that has made quite a fortune (&amp; reputation) from testing for it.

However the responses I have received from my enquiries lead me to believe that the attitude has not changed that much to the time that they were buying blood products from dodgy sources. I have worked in lab environments, one of my kids is a chemist (&amp; previously worked in a company making blood test products), and no industry here would be run as Pelican House was. There have been changes from those dark days in the 80s and 90s, but we still seem to have a bit to go.

Seems to be a common thread in this. Do you ever wonder why the OECD ranked us 37 out of 38 as rgds health care?

Comment

I'm AB-, and have lived in the UK, so the IBTS don't love me either!

They seem to have little enthusiasm for developing a BSE test - I've called them a few times, and their response has been vague and uncommunicative.
                [img]smileys/sad.gif[/img]

Trust is good; control is better. V I Lenin.

Comment

That 'so-called threat' has taken 161 lives in Britain, including 2 in Northern Ireland that I am aware of. Look at the estimate of 14,000latent cases of vCJD the following refers to.

http://www.healthcoalition.ca/bse-2006.pdf

Comment

Used to donate on a very regular basis. Must look again at going back. Last time I was rejected as it was less than 12 moths after an operation.

Comment

Originally posted by mike11

Seems to be a common thread in this. Do you ever wonder why the OECD ranked us 37 out of 38 as rgds health care?

Because Albania is in Europe?
                      New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Originally posted by toyman

That 'so-called threat' has taken 161 lives in Britain - over what period? - and only a few attributed to BSE cross-infection, including 2 in Northern Ireland that I am aware of. Look at the estimate of 14,000latent cases of vCJD the following refers to.

http://www.healthcoalition.ca/bse-2006.pdf Lot of vagueness, not much fact (when, who, how, where). I'm afraid that article is just a number of vague soundbytes supposedly quoted from News International;Yes the same publishers that bring us Page 3........

The death-rate from Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease has not changed very much over the past 1/4 century in the UK (10-20 pa). That is in line with what was recorded historically, even if there is a far bigger perception of the disease today (it is not new). Themedia-forecasted epidemic from BSE infected beef has failed to materialise (UK has been exporting beef again for a number of years). There are also tests both for BSE and CJD available. There are also tests available both for persons suspected of carrying the prion (i.e infected), and for tissue and other products (e.g corneas, etc). Blood, plasma, etcis not considered a primary infection route. The test for BSE in cattle (as mentioned above)is well known and 100% effective. The number of crossover infections in humans from BSE-infected beef is unknown, butdeaths areestimated to be well less than 10% of total carriers. The length of incubation is also unknown, but agreed by allto be less than 17 years. I'll leave it up to you to the the rest of the maths.

Comment

Accepting your points on the figures, can you explain so, why Ireland has only had 1 fatality to CJD in the last 12 years, and that case being attributted to the fact that the young man in question having lived for a number of years in the UK.

If you take the incidence of say 15 cases p.a. in the UK, then Ireland should be having 1.125 cases p.a.

The IBTS are still correct in taking every precaution as regards the possibility oftransmission by blood especially as they do not receive enough funds to be able to test everyone who has spent time abroad for vCJD. Better safe than sorry.

Comment

I'm not allowed give blood sometimes because iron levels in me blood [img]smileys/sad.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by toyman

Accepting your points on the figures, can you explain so, why Ireland has only had 1 fatality to CJD in the last 12 years, and that case being attributted to the fact that the young man in question having lived for a number of years in the UK.

If you take the incidence of say 15 cases p.a. in the UK, then Ireland should be having 1.125 cases p.a.

The IBTS are still correct in taking every precaution as regards the possibility oftransmission by blood especially as they do not receive enough funds to be able to test everyone who has spent time abroad for vCJD. Better safe than sorry.

Its not as simple as that. There might have been a difference in the way farmers fed their cattle over here.If there's lessbrain matter in the offalthe problem doesnt spread so much. The population over theremight have sections with genetic predispositions to it.When we looked at it in college, many aspects ofCJD were poorly understood, I dont think theres been any major advances since. There was a genuine fear about the number of diseases that would pop up in the years after it became news. It wasnt justmedia hype, the altered proteins that causedthese diseases are extremely durable.

Comment

Working...
                              X