X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

state of the union address

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/bsp/h...01_07_sotu.pdf

Anybody bother to read/listen to it?

What excerpts I've read indicate some good ostrich impersonations from the Bushmeister..
    The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
    - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

The American hostility towards Iran
    Analysis
    By Paul Reynolds
    World Affairs correspondent, BBC News website

President Bush describing the State of the Union

One of the notable features of President George W Bush's State of the Union speech was its hostile attitude towards Iran.

References to Iran ran like a drum beat through the speech, adding a wider element to his appeal for support for what he called his "new strategy" in Iraq.

He accused the "regime" in Iran of arming "terrorists like Hezbollah" and of directing "Shia extremists" in Iraq.

He raised the prospect of a larger conflict in the Middle East in which Iran would be central.

"If American forces step back before Baghdad is secure, the Iraqi government would be overrun by extremists on all sides," he said.

The world will not allow the regime in Tehran to acquire nuclear weapons

President Bush
    Speech in full [102KB]
    Most computers will open this document automatically, but you may need Adobe Reader
    Download the reader here
    "We could expect an epic battle between Shia extremists backed by Iran, and Sunni extremists aided by al-Qaeda and supporters of the old regime.

"A contagion of violence could spill out across the country - and in time, the entire region could be drawn into the conflict."

And he did not leave out the nuclear issue: "The world will not allow the regime in Tehran to acquire nuclear weapons."

He referred only to the "regime" in Iran, not the government.

Trend

Such rhetoric is used partly to lay the blame for the chaos in Iraq on others but it is not just rhetoric. The State of the Union speech is a carefully considered declaration.

The new chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee Senator John Rockefeller, a Democrat, has spoken out against the verbal attacks on Iran and compared them to what happened before the invasion of Iraq in 2003.

"To be quite honest, I'm a little concerned that it's Iraq again," Senator Rockefeller told the New York Times.

The anti-Iran trend in the administration was already evident when Mr Bush announced the increase in troops in Iraq on 10 January. In that speech he rejected the recommendations of the advisory Iraq Study Group that the United States should engage diplomatically with Iran (and Syria).

The president has said very clearly that the issues we have with Iran should be solved diplomatically

Stephen Hadley
    National Security Adviser
    Instead he accused Iran and Syria of "allowing terrorists and insurgents to use their territory to move in and out of Iraq".

US failure in Iraq, he claimed, would have a consequence: "Iran would be emboldened in its pursuit of nuclear weapons."

And he added: "We will work with others to prevent Iran from gaining nuclear weapons and dominating the region."

That phrase "will work with others" is primarily a reference to the UN Security Council which has imposed sanctions on Iran, aimed at preventing it from getting technology useful for its nuclear enrichment and missile programmes.

However, if the sanctions effort (supplemented by offers of co-operation on nuclear power) do not work, the likelihood is that the US will seek support for further isolating Iran. And the question remains as to whether the US would itself in due course attack or would support an Israeli attack on Iran's nuclear facilities.

The line from the White House, as expressed recently by the National Security Adviser Stephen Hadley, is that the US is seeking a diplomatic solution.

Asked on ABC television if the US was preparing an attack on Iran, he replied: "No, the president has said very clearly that the issues we have with Iran should be solved diplomatically."

This may be true but such a formulation does not rule out a
    The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
    - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

I have a funny feeling that George W*nker Bush is going to do a lot more damage to this planet before he leaves office. WW3 could just be around the corner, if hasn't already started ! Lets hope Hillary C gets in to office and adopts the sensible approach.[img]smileys/smiley37.gif[/img]
      "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too ?" - Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by jmccoy
        I have a funny feeling that George W*nker Bush is going to do a lot more damage to this planet before he leaves office. WW3 could just be around the corner, if hasn't already started ! Lets hope Hillary C gets in to office and adopts the sensible approach.[img]smileys/smiley37.gif[/img]
        Why? Hillary voted for the war and generally supports the war still.

Kiva - Loans That Change Lives

Comment

Originally posted by daveirl
          Originally posted by jmccoy
          Why? Hillary voted for the war and generally supports the war still.

Somehow I think she would have her head alittle bit more screwed on when it comes to making them decisions. Thats only my opinion.
          "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too ?" - Douglas Adams

Comment

hilary wont win if she gets nominated.shes a very divisive figure in america.obama would have a better chance,gore might even get in there,although i can see the republicans winning again,they've got some strong candidates,like mccain,guiliani,maybe even rice.the faces of this regime will all be gone,namely bush,cheney and rumsfeld,so it will basically bea new start
            g\'wan bruff!!

``The answer is not heavy- handed regulations that crush the entrepreneurial spirit and risk- taking of American capitalism. That\'s what\'s made our economy great.\"
            -Barack Obama

\"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics\"
            -thomas sowell

Comment

Watched in NYC. Iraq is an unmitigated disaster and there is no easy way out for the US, none. ""You break it, you own it" said Colin Powell.

Iraq was never a threat to the US, imminent or otherwise. Onlythe US'mindless intervention has made it so. It's not a question of tactics, as Bush would have the US electorate believe, butitsthe greatest USforeign policy strategic blunder since Yalta.

Even should the"surge" succeed for a time, itonly pushes the inevitable into another year.Ultimately, an Iraqi Shia majority will alligh itself with Iran, a member of the US "axis of evil". Iran's influence, whichthe US fears, has grown greater by US action, and more Iraqis will be butchered in what borders on ethnic cleansing.

As for Iran.. the next one. Recently, the Israeli neocon Netanyahu stated that Israel "must immediately launch an intense, international public relations front first and foremost on the U.S. The goal being to encourage President Bush to live up to specific pledges he would not allow Iran to arm itself with nuclear weapons. We must make clear to the (U.S.) government, the Congress and the American public that a nuclear Iran is a threat to the U.S. and the entire world, not only Israel."

So, Israel's war will be sold as America's war, and they are many in the current US administration who will be buyers.

The folly of Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld and Rice in launching this unnecessary and unprovoked war, the folly of the neocon snake oil salesmen who bamboozled the media into believing in this insane crusade to bring democracy to Baghdad in a Humvee, and the folly ofa cowedDemocratic establishment in handing Bush a blank check for war out of political fear of being called unpatriotic will have consequences for many years to come.

Comment

Originally posted by bruffian
                hilary wont win if she gets nominated.shes a very divisive figure in america.obama would have a better chance,gore might even get in there,although i can see the republicans winning again,they've got some strong candidates,like mccain,guiliani,maybe even rice.the faces of this regime will all be gone,namely bush,cheney and rumsfeld,so it will basically bea new start

Hilary could win- I think the nomination will be her problem. Democrats will go harder on her war position. She is divisive, but the next election will be about delivering core vote which she would undoubtedly do.

Obama has a lot of media buzz, but no one can say he has a better chance than Clinton. The guy has VP written all over him I reckon - wouldn't be at all suprised to see him on a ticket with Clinton or Edwards who would both be stronger runners. At the back of it all, Obama is black, and I'm not sure America isgoing to elect a black democrat.To be a democrat president, on the whole, you haveto be both white and southern.

Rice is as much a face of this regime as anyother. She's gone when they're gone and not a day too soon, the hellspawn b***h.

McCain will be a strongrunner, but he'd need to be walking on water to win the election after the f**k up that has been the Bush era. Gore couldn't follow the most popular democrat govt for generations into power - how do you generate a turnaround like the one McCain would need?
                "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Excellently put ,Riptide ,I'm sorry to have to agree with your analysis and all of the planet will await the consequences with some trepidation.

And we worry about global warming?

Comment

Hilary's negatives are too high, and she is just trying to neutralize Obama on her left. She's campaigining for the presidenc now, not the Democratic nomination.

She'll win the Democratic nomination with her fund raising in high gear. She's a politician first and foremost - not that principled - she'll do what she needs to improve her popularity.

The GOP is been crippled by Iraq... that'sher greatest strenght right now..GOP weakness.

Comment

The israelis are in a bit of turmoil at the mo.Just changed their defence minister after the lebanon debacle. The pm is looking at investigations over illegal financial wranglings and the president is looking at a sexual assault cause. That Netanyahucharacter will get back in,I reckon the country will look to the hardass option,I think heisvery dangerous. Hes been doing the TV circuit alot, pressing the need for actionagainst Iran at every oppurtunity.Its going to happen unless theres a radical change in yank foriegn policy.

Comment

republicans are praying hillary gets the nod.........

Comment

McCain or Guilliani have the capacity to eat up Dem votes. Both are liberals who will get red state votes all the same. I'd like to see Obama win purely because I like the guy, but I'd like McCain or Guilliani too. Both are great guys, McCain would currently be president IMHO if it weren't for Karl Rove's dirty tricks.
                          Kiva - Loans That Change Lives

Comment

Originally posted by Riptide

Watched in NYC. Iraq is an unmitigated disaster and there is no easy way out for the US, none. ""You break it, you own it" said Colin Powell.

Iraq was never a threat to the US, imminent or otherwise. Onlythe US'mindless intervention has made it so. It's not a question of tactics, as Bush would have the US electorate believe, butitsthe greatest USforeign policy strategic blunder since Yalta.

Even should the"surge" succeed for a time, itonly pushes the inevitable into another year.Ultimately, an Iraqi Shia majority will alligh itself with Iran, a member of the US "axis of evil". Iran's influence, whichthe US fears, has grown greater by US action, and more Iraqis will be butchered in what borders on ethnic cleansing.

As for Iran.. the next one. Recently, the Israeli neocon Netanyahu stated that Israel "must immediately launch an intense, international public relations front first and foremost on the U.S. The goal being to encourage President Bush to live up to specific pledges he would not allow Iran to arm itself with nuclear weapons. We must make clear to the (U.S.) government, the Congress and the American public that a nuclear Iran is a threat to the U.S. and the entire world, not only Israel."

So, Israel's war will be sold as America's war, and they are many in the current US administration who will be buyers.

The folly of Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld and Rice in launching this unnecessary and unprovoked war, the folly of the neocon snake oil salesmen who bamboozled the media into believing in this insane crusade to bring democracy to Baghdad in a Humvee, and the folly ofa cowedDemocratic establishment in handing Bush a blank check for war out of political fear of being called unpatriotic will have consequences for many years to come.

Good analysis there Riptide. Watched the first 20 mins and got sick of the cliches....

My only comment/addition would be on what you said at the end - I think the 'patriotic' card has been overplayed, and that it's effect is wearing off. Likewise the democrats won't rubber-stamp everything for Bush.

Personally don't think US will touch Iran. They haven't the resources and they know it would bring both China and Russia on their back.

Comment

I urge you top watch what is by far the best analysis of the reasons for the US destruction of Iraq by comedian Rob Newman<h2 ="r">Robert Newman History of oil - Google Video</h2>
                              where he describes it as punishment beating meted out by the biggest crack dealer in the neighbourhood while Hugo Chavez looks on with a sceptical eye.

Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Comment

Working...
                              X