No announcement yet.

Growing your own vegetables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah same here salad going great. That and raddish every evening nearly. Peas are comming on well, ditto my onions and carrots. Spring onions need to kick on a bit though. Sweet corn doing well in the green house. Will move them out into the garden at the end of the month. Out door strawberries look to have a good crop. Must havea look at my rasberries tomorrow. Was looking at my apple trees looks like it will be a good crop come autumn.
    Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Blight warning issued this morning - only spraying opportunity is Friday.

Poor cabbages got attacked by cabbage root fly, lost half of them. Is it safe to replant in same patch or should I plant elsewhere?

Comment

We grew the strawberries in the gutters again and also tried hanging bags and there are loads of strawberries. All we need is sun to ripen.[img]smileys/sad.gif[/img] We eat our lettuce every day. There are 3 types and 1 being purple. No idea the make but all lovely. Spring onion are motoring as are the peas and looks like this year we will get the raspberries. The kids though are keeping na eye on the pumpkin, wondering will it be ready for Autumn.
        Fed the parsley and flip I could supply a shop! Chives and basil all going well. The bag of potatoes are doing well. Must pass on the blight warning.
        There is loads of berries on the cherry tree but it is too big to net off and we have a huge amount of starling about so there is little hope.

Comment

Hang blank dvd's on the tree boo-boo. Theflash (when the sun comes out) scares birds. Or at least it worked for me when rooks were after my apples last year.
          Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud
            Hang blank dvd's on the tree boo-boo. Theflash (when the sun comes out) scares birds. Or at least it worked for me when rooks were after my apples last year.
            Good one, thanks McCloud. I use tin foil strips around the peas but never thought of DVDs. I will raid the kids scratched ones![img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by The Spoofer

Poor cabbages got attacked by cabbage root fly, lost half of them. Is it safe to replant in same patch or should I plant elsewhere?

Jaysus! Tell me you're living up to your name....

I thought blight only came around mid summer (July) [img]smileys/shock.gif[/img]

I have a can of Dithane, but why is Friday only opportunity for spraying pray tell
              Con Artist

Comment

More of an agricultural than a horticultural question ... I've a field of about 2.5 acres, which is usually kept grazed by a neighbour's herd of sheep. They were taken out a few weeks ago and since then the thistles have completely taken over - never seen it so choked!! I could always spray the whole place with Roundup but I'm reluctant to use anything so toxic. Apart from bringing in a herd of donkeys to munch the problem away (and keep me awake at all hours!), any suggestions before I fill up the sprayer?

Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips
                  More of an agricultural than a horticultural question ... I've a field of about 2.5 acres, which is usually kept grazed by a neighbour's herd of sheep. They were taken out a few weeks ago and since then the thistles have completely taken over - never seen it so choked!! I could always spray the whole place with Roundup but I'm reluctant to use anything so toxic. Apart from bringing in a herd of donkeys to munch the problem away (and keep me awake at all hours!), any suggestions before I fill up the sprayer?
                  A herd of goats. Them feckers will eat thistles and washing and anyhting in their way. Is there a friendly farmer with a topper who would top it for you?

Comment

Got news for you Mr Chips, unless you use a hell of a dose of Roundup you won't kill the thistles and even worse you will kill the grass and the thistles will then take over what is left, a wee drop of the chemical MCPA under it's various tradenames is what you need, find a friendly local farmer and get some for the knapsack sprayer, it's one of the cheapest chemicals around and should cost about €10 an acre if you were spraying entire field, sheep won't eat them anyway and they can take over sheep grazing due to the grass being eaten off close to the ground.
                    By the way Roundup is not very toxic at all to humans, knocks the crap out of grass though[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster
                      More of an agricultural than a horticultural question ... I've
                      a field of about 2.5 acres, which is usually kept grazed by a
                      neighbour's herd of sheep.  They were taken out a few
                      weeks ago and since then the thistles have completely
                      taken over - never seen it so choked!!  I could always
                      spray the whole place with Roundup but I'm reluctant to
                      use anything so toxic.  Apart from bringing in a herd of
                      donkeys to munch the problem away (and keep me awake
                      at all hours!), any suggestions before I fill up the sprayer?
                      Got news for you Mr Chips, unless you use a hell
                      of a dose of Roundup you won't kill the thistles and even
                      worse you will kill the grass and the thistles will then take
                      over what is left, a wee drop of the chemical MCPA under
                      it's various tradenames is what you need, find a friendly
                      local farmer and get some for the knapsack sprayer, it's
                      one of the cheapest chemicals around and should cost
                      about €10 an acre if you were spraying entire field, sheep
                      won't eat them anyway and they can take over sheep
                      grazing due to the grass being eaten off close to the
                      ground.By the way Roundup is not very toxic at all to
                      humans, knocks the crap out of grass though[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]
                      Isn't it a fine thing to hear tell from a man who know's
                      what's what.
                      Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by Valencia
                        Originally posted by The Spoofer

Jaysus! Tell me you're living up to your name....

I thought blight only came around mid summer (July) [img]smileys/shock.gif[/img]

I have a can of Dithane, but why is Friday only opportunity for spraying pray tell
                        Standard agricultural warning based on present weather and expected, blight forecasting is very accurate as it spreads in specific weather conditions, wind strength or possible rain would be reason for saying to work on Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by ustix
                          Originally posted by Rooster

More of an agricultural than a horticultural question ... I've

a field of about 2.5 acres, which is usually kept grazed by a

neighbour's herd of sheep. They were taken out a few

weeks ago and since then the thistles have completely

taken over - never seen it so choked!! I could always

spray the whole place with Roundup but I'm reluctant to

use anything so toxic. Apart from bringing in a herd of

donkeys to munch the problem away (and keep me awake

at all hours!), any suggestions before I fill up the sprayer?

Got news for you Mr Chips, unless you use a hell

of a dose of Roundup you won't kill the thistles and even

worse you will kill the grass and the thistles will then take

over what is left, a wee drop of the chemical MCPA under

it's various tradenames is what you need, find a friendly

local farmer and get some for the knapsack sprayer, it's

one of the cheapest chemicals around and should cost

about €10 an acre if you were spraying entire field, sheep

won't eat them anyway and they can take over sheep

grazing due to the grass being eaten off close to the

ground.By the way Roundup is not very toxic at all to

humans, knocks the crap out of grass though[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]
                          Isn't it a fine thing to hear tell from a man who know's

what's what.
                          Thats my free agricultural advice of the week ustix[img]smileys/shock.gif[/img] not great at gardening but know more about the large scale stuff.

Comment

Good man Rooster! Is it the sort of stuff I'd have to keep away from any trees/hedgerows? Field is surrounded by hawthorn and a couple of willows, plus assorted rowan/birch/beech trees about the place.
                            Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Good man Rooster! Is it the sort of stuff I'd have to keep away from any trees/hedgerows? Field is surrounded by hawthorn and a couple of willows, plus assorted rowan/birch/beech trees about the place.
                              No it's pretty damned useless at killing anything else than thistles and rushes and marestail/horse tail growing up through tarmac is another use, bit of drift might curl a few branches a bit but won't kill them. Will wilt over other weeds such as docks and buttercup but will only stunt them for a while.
                              Thistles are a tricky bugger to sort especially the small ones I would reckon you have in patches as they grow from long underground roots and send up shoots, the spray will kill the top growth plus a bit of root but other sections may escape and return in a few months or more probably next year, then you hit them again and keep that up till you get rid of the lot, if you miss a year out it is as bad as ever.
                              Plenty of other mixes of chemicals will do the same job on them but the MCPA is cheapest and most effective on thistles and rushes and the thistles do seem to be a real problem associated with sheep grazing from personal experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Boo-boo
                                We grew the strawberries in the gutters again and also tried hanging bags and there are loads of strawberries. All we need is sun to ripen.[img]smileys/sad.gif[/img] We eat our lettuce every day. There are 3 types and 1 being purple. No idea the make but all lovely. Spring onion are motoring as are the peas and looks like this year we will get the raspberries. The kids though are keeping na eye on the pumpkin, wondering will it be ready for Autumn.
                                Fed the parsley and flip I could supply a shop! Chives and basil all going well. The bag of potatoes are doing well. Must pass on the blight warning.
                                There is loads of berries on the cherry tree but it is too big to net off and we have a huge amount of starling about so there is little hope.

An effective method of keeping your cherries safe=1 puss
                                Ta an draoicht ar ais aris

Comment

Working...
                                X