Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by K6
    Originally posted by mickyd

I planted mature plants (about a month old I think).

I don’t think it’s an exact science so every 2-3 days, I try not to let the soil dry out but that’s just me!

“They” say the best time to water is the morning also… [img]smileys/confused.gif[/img]

cool.

thanks.

I suppose a lot of it is trial and error and learning 'green fingers'.

looking forward to home grown salad though[img]smileys/cool.gif[/img]
    Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!

Comment

cool.

thanks.

Ya, that’s half the fun, learning from your mistakes. Although we will never be self sufficient when it comes to growing vegetables, anything you grow yourself tastes 100 times better!!
      http://www.munsterfans.com/uploads/i...6/MunsterL.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by K6

cool.

thanks.

Ya, that’s half the fun, learning from your mistakes. Although we will never be self sufficient when it comes to growing vegetables, anything you grow yourself tastes 100 times better!!

thats my experience too

I have friends in Cork who grow loads of their own vegetable and rear their own pigs and keep hens.

I once went for dinner at their place where every scrap of food on my plate came from their small-holding.

It tasted fantastic.
        Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!

Comment

Originally posted by K6

[img]smileys/shock.gif[/img]Winter Purslance [img]smileys/shock.gif[/img]

Great for salads and grows like wild fire!!

Did you mean winter purslane (miner's lettuce)? If so it doesn't look like any of it that I've seen (you sure it's not summer purslane - a bitter herb). I prefer the lettuce (Little Gem) meself. Anyway, well done.

Comment

Originally posted by Upfront_1979
            coriander seeds just started raising their little green heads which is great. no sign of life from the dill, parsley, marjoram yet. Been germinating for 12 days now is this normal?

Parsley is notorious re. germination. Too hot (above 20C)and it won't germinate; same if it dries. It also pays to stratify the seed (put in the freezer for 2 weeks), then soak overnight pefore sowing. It's a survival 'instinct' in the plant so that not all seeds germinate each year (some will lay dormant for years) in case of bad summers when nothing matures.

Comment

Originally posted by 99_oK?

Did you mean winter purslane (miner's lettuce)? If so it doesn't look like any of it that I've seen (you sure it's not summer purslane - a bitter herb). I prefer the lettuce (Little Gem) meself. Anyway, well done.

Yes sorry, Winter Purslane, its only at a very young stage at the moment but my friend bought the seeds off a hippie so wasn't sure what to expect!!

He raves about it anyway, so it’s actually a vegetable not a herb??

Comment

Originally posted by Upfront_1979
                coriander seeds just started raising their little green heads which is great. no sign of life from the dill, parsley, marjoram yet. Been germinating for 12 days now is this normal?

Parsley is notorious re. germination. Too hot (above 20C)and it won't germinate; same if it dries. It also pays to stratify the seed (put in the freezer for 2 weeks), then soak overnight pefore sowing. It's a survival 'instinct' in the plant so that not all seeds germinate each year (some will lay dormant for years) in case of bad summers when nothing matures.

interesting, I have it sown on a layer of damp compost and covered in about 1/2 inch of vermiculite as per teh spec on the seed packets. Its on the kitchen window so would probably be a fairly constant 18-20 during the day and 16 or so at night. Will give it another week or so before I panic!
                The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
                - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

K6, I only heard about it because of it's history and other name (miner's lettuce). It got that name as it was eaten by the miner's in the Klondike & other gold-rush areas as a prevention/cure for scurvy (seemingly high in vit C, but most veg are). It's also native to N. America.

It's really a winter substutute for lettuce or spinach. I've seen it in markets in france, but have never seen it it for sale here or UK.

Personally I wouldn't trust many of the seed packets from certain 'farmer's markets'. I'd prefer to deal with real farmers......[img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Upfront, I reckon your window sill might be too warm for parsley to germinate. I always grow it outdoors. If you have any seed left over why not pop the pkt in the freezer, and if in a couple of weeks the seed you have already sown hasn't germinated, then you have 'stratified' seed ready to sow outside.

Comment

K6, I only heard about it because of it's history and other name (miner's lettuce). It got that name as it was eaten by the miner's in the Klondike & other gold-rush areas as a prevention/cure for scurvy (seemingly high in vit C, but most veg are). It's also native to N. America.

It's really a winter substutute for lettuce or spinach. I've seen it in markets in france, but have never seen it it for sale here or UK.

Personally I wouldn't trust many of the seed packets from certain 'farmer's markets'. I'd prefer to deal with real farmers......[img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

Interesting, thanks for that.. Ill let you know how it tastes in a few weeks! [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Comment

K6, it'll taste far superior to anything out of a Tesco or Dunne's plastic bag.....[img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Thread of the year guys I reckon. Keep it coming!
                          My computer thinks I'm gay
                          What's the difference anyway
                          When all the people do all day
                          Is stare into a phone

Comment

The missus just got delivery of 'grow your own drugs'. (the medicinal kind, not the mind bending kind). There will be no stopping her now[img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by scourge
                              The missus just got delivery of 'grow your own drugs'. . There will be no stopping her now[img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]
                              well if you have too much and you can't use it all we are here for you [img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img][img]smileys/razz.gif[/img][img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]
                              "Syrana" on de Villiers "A step, a hand off and two more defenders beaten on the line and the third try was in the bag. It's amazing what a world class inside centre can do when you play him at inside centre!"

Comment

Originally posted by markcaver
                                Originally posted by scourge
                                The missus just got delivery of 'grow your own drugs'. (the medicinal kind, not the mind bending kind). There will be no stopping her now[img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]
                                well if you have too much and you can't use it all we are here for you [img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img][img]smileys/razz.gif[/img]

Naughty naughty[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X