Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dermot Morgan must be laughing

'Father Ted Festival' sparks row between Aran Islands

A row has broken out between two of the Aran Islands off County Galway over an inaugural Father Ted festival next month.
    Inis Mor, the largest of the three isles, is planning a three-day 'Friends of Ted' event from February 23 to mark the ninth anniversary of the death of comic Dermot Morgan, the star of the Channel 4 series.

However, Inis Oirr, the smallest of the islands, believes it has a bigger claim over Father Ted because local scenes, including the famous Plassey shipwreck, are shown in the opening scenes of the hit comedy.

Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Ninth anniversary[img]smileys/shock.gif[/img] - Deosnt seem like that long ago

Comment

Yeah that's what I was thinking....

Comment

Islands clash in unholy row over Father Ted festival

A FEUD between two remote islands over which is the true spiritual home of three feckless priests is threatening to overshadow the inaugural Father Ted festival next month.

Two of the three Aran Islands off the Galway coast are battling over which has more of a claim to celebrate the TV comedy priest.

And the unseemly row is even more bizarre as neither of the islands actually featured as the fictitious Craggy Island, the home of long-suffering Fr Ted, Fr Dougal McGuire and Fr Ted Hackett.

Inis Mor, the largest of the islands, plans to mark the ninth anniversary of the death of comic Dermot Morgan, who played Fr Ted, by holding a three-day 'Friends of Ted' event from February 23 to 25 next.

However, the big island's decision has upset inhabitants of Inis Oirr, the smallest of the islands. They claim to have a stronger association with the Channel 4 series, pointing out that local scenes, including the Plassey shipwreck, are shown in the opening credits of the hit comedy.

The Inis Mor festival is already sold out - unsurprisingly as, due to the size of the island and its venues, only 100 tickets were issued. Tickets cost €130, with €10 going to Croi, the West of Ireland Cardiology Foundation.

Local hotels, hostels and B&Bs are basking in the Fr Ted glow as dozens of fans rush to book rooms ahead of the festival - much to the resentment of some of their colleagues on Inis Oirr.

"It's unfair that Inis Mor is cashing in on Fr Ted when obviously we have closer links with the show," argued one irrate B&B owner on Inis Oirr.

"Fans and tourists would have come here in the past just to view the Plassey shipwreck. Inis Mor is trying to pull a fast one, to be honest, and we're not very impressed."

The comedy, written by Arthur Mathews and Graham Linehan, earned legions of fans following its debut in 1995. It ran for just three seasons before coming to an end in May 1998, shortly after Morgan's sudden death.

Most of the the location footage was shot in Co Clare, including at Ennis, Kilfenora, Ennistimon and Kilnaboy. The parochial house is at Glenquin, near Kilnaboy.

The 'Friends of Ted' event will feature a Fr Jack Cocktail Evening, Fr Dougal Breakfast Movie Charades, a Lovely Girls Contest and a midnight Crazy Golf Championship.

One of the highlights of the weekend should be 'A Song For Europe', which aims to recreate the success of 'My Lovely Horse', Ted and Dougal's Eurovision entry.

There will also be Ludo Aerobics, Toilet Duck Comedy Awards and a fancy dress five-a-side football match where priests will be pitted against nuns.

Senan Hogan and Breda Heffernan

Comment

[img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]

<!-
          var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
          var SymReal;

Sym()
          {
          window.open = SymWinOpen;
          if(SymReal != null)
          SymReal();
          }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
          {
          if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
          SymReal&#079;nLoad();
          window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
          SymReal = window.;
          window. = Sym;
          }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
          window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//->

such a quality show!!!!

\" 220 horses, i gotta gun, a siren, a tank full of city gas....DON\'T YOU LOVE IT\"

Comment

I wonder would Dermot be sniggering at everything that is going on today in this country. From the recession to Biffos painting ,I'd say he would have torn those boyos to bits.

Dermot Morgan...now there was a satarist.

Happy Birthday Mr Morgan wherever you may be.

Comment

Morgan as Fr. Trendy.

One of the funniest men ever.
              Wally_fan 25/04/09
              \"bump bump bump, trying to keep the thread up there. holy mary im drunk. and in love with trish. although you all dont care about that. doesnt matter, i still love her\"

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT9xuXQjxMM

"Not at all, Willie's is rounder at the top!"[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img][img]smileys/lol.gif[/img][img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Comment

15 year anniversary of Dermot Morgan's death,rte have put up an old episode of "The Live mike" featuring sketchs from Fr Trendy(Dermot)
                  http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10116389/
                  Last edited by taz; 28th-February-2013, 14:20.

Comment

Comment

"Ah now ted, is this what they call an ecumenical matter?"
                      psychoanalysis is wasted on the Irish; Sigmund Freud

Comment

Jaysus, all I thought when you posted that was how the fup can it be 15 years??? Nice that Dermot is still so well remembered though.
                        Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
                          Jaysus, all I thought when you posted that was how the fup can it be 15 years??? Nice that Dermot is still so well remembered though.
                          It's mad Ted!

Comment

I remember seeing him in Dublin around the time Scrap Saturday was in full flow.

Most good comedians leave you with a warm glow after the show.

Morgan left me with a pain in my stomach from laughing. It wasn't just the voices - although he excelled at those - it was the satire that was spot on. He had a knack of tapping into the national psyche and ridiculing it on many levels.

A genius, sorely missed.
                            Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Working...
                            X