Tech Help...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tech Help...

Have a Dell Dimension 8400. Pentium 4, about 2.5 gig of RAM.

Have just installed a GeForce 9400 gt. When I boot up, I get a messahe to say "no signal" on the monitor.

My previous gfx card (an old Radeon job) will still give a signal when I put it back in the slot, but I can't get any signal out of the new one.

The fan is powering up, but I'm wondering if it might be a PSU issue? There's no connector on the card to plug it straight into the psu.

Stumped.
    "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Cards are powered directly from the slot. You could try a different slot, and also make sure the card is firmly secured.

But it sounds as though your new card is a duffer.

Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Some PCI-E cards have additional power inputs don't they? Academic anyway, as this one doesn't. It's drawing enough power to spin up its own fan, so doubt that's the issue. Disconnected the power on the CD ROM to see if it might be a power capacity issue, but no impact.

No onboard graphics, and whenI use the other card to go into the video settings on the set up menu its set up to use the slot.

Looks like it's just dead then, unless anyone has any other ideas?
      "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy

Some PCI-E cards have additional power inputs don't they? Academic anyway, as this one doesn't. It's drawing enough power to spin up its own fan, so doubt that's the issue. Disconnected the power on the CD ROM to see if it might be a power capacity issue, but no impact.

No onboard graphics, and whenI use the other card to go into the video settings on the set up menu its set up to use the slot.

Looks like it's just dead then, unless anyone has any other ideas?
        Yes, you are right about the PCI E cards (they didn't in my day!).

Only other option is to stick it into another PC to see if it powers up.

Comment

do u have another monitor you could check it on? long shot i know

or 2 slots? connect old one to monitor and see if display settings show second monitor?

"Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Only the one slot, unfortunately. Just put my old 256mb card back in and it's running fine. No problem at all.

So I'm figuring it's not the slot or the monitor, and it's not like I've gone from on board to 1gb gfx in one fell swoop. I'd be suprised if the psu can't handle it - any tips on a good cunsumption monitor?

It only arrived through Amazon today, so chances are I'll fire it back to them tomorrow under their 30 day return and see if I fare better with a replacement.

Feels like quitting though [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy

Only the one slot, unfortunately. Just put my old 256mb card back in and it's running fine. No problem at all.

So I'm figuring it's not the slot or the monitor, and it's not like I've gone from on board to 1gb gfx in one fell swoop. I'd be suprised if the psu can't handle it - any tips on a good cunsumption monitor?

It only arrived through Amazon today, so chances are I'll fire it back to them tomorrow under their 30 day return and see if I fare better with a replacement.

Feels like quitting though [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]
              A few here

http://www.techsupportalert.com/node/84

Haven't used any myself, but feel free to torture yourself for hours [img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

EDIT

And I remember using this a few years ago for temperatures of servers. Was pretty impressive stuff.
              <a href="http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php" target="_blank">
              http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php</a>

Comment

It sounds like its not getting enough power all right, in which case it'd probably be a bigger PSU that you need. Was there any indication of what kind of power it needs on the specs with it? How big is the one you have?

Comment

On my keyboard, on the right hand side where the number section is, there is a decimal point OR there used to be! When I hit it now it acts as a RETURN. Anyone know how to get it back again? Very annoying since I mainly use that part of the keyboard except when I'm on here[img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]

edit: Its okay thanks. Fixed it. Well I turned it on and off and now it works![img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

Lads, what's the story with Claro search? There seems to be a rake of ways to get rid of it but all involve downloading other stuff. Are these downloads safe?

Comment

Re: Tech Help...

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
                      Lads, what's the story with Claro search? There seems to be a rake of ways to get rid of it but all involve downloading other stuff. Are these downloads safe?
                      Depends on what you're planning on downloading really, fire up the names and we'll have a nose.
                      "If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards - checkmate!" Zapp Brannigan

Comment

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/ is one of them. Are they on the level?

Comment

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/ is one of them. Are they on the level?
                          Absolutely - highly recommended by Gizmo:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best...re-remover.htm
                          New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Re: Tech Help...

Yep rock solid.
                            "If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards - checkmate!" Zapp Brannigan

Comment

I have downloaded Malwarebytes as advised and it scanned my machine and detected over 300 threats. I clicked "Remove Threats" and it set about its work. I them told me "URGENT: you must restart your system in order to remove all active threats properly. Click yes to restart now"
                              I clicked Yes and the system shut down, but when it restarted, I rescanned it and there were still over 300 threats found.

What am I doing wrong?

Comment

Working...
                              X