X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mr chips
    replied
    Originally posted by JN.Allezdax.com View Post
    Bon, ce n'est pas tout ça... No rugby, no more Brexit, Corona virus won't get the Nobel Price of Peace because it is not able to rid the planet of Kim, Xi, Poutine, Trump, Bolsonaro, Assad, Horvath and other scourges for the Humanity, we only take the emergencies and pathologies in charge... So I will have enough time to bug you with my questions concerning Gaeilge...
    Let's begin with: Is there a difference of use between mo/do/a/ár/bhur/a and An... s'agam/s'agat/s'aige/s'aige/s'againn/s'agaibh/s'acu?Is my wife "mo bean chéile" or is she "an bean chéile s'agam"?
    They're effectively two ways of saying the same thing. With the latter, you don't use the definite article "an". So if e.g. you were introducing her, you could say either -

Seo mo bhean chéile.
    or
    Seo bean chéile s'agam.

Both mean "this is my wife". Note that in the first example, the use of the possessive pronoun "mo" results in lenition of the subsequent word, i.e. "bean chéile" becomes "mo bhean chéile" as Arthur Guinness has pointed out.

In relation to your commendable efforts at learning our language and in particular the redoubling of your efforts during this time of confinement, I would love to encourage you in your own language with the words "en marche!", but I fear this phrase's more recent usage would detract from the sentiment. That being the case, I'll just say beir bua agus bonne chance!

Leave a comment:

• Arthur Guinness
    replied
    She’s “mo bHean chéile”

Leave a comment:

• JN.Allezdax.com
    replied
    Bon, ce n'est pas tout ça... No rugby, no more Brexit, Corona virus won't get the Nobel Price of Peace because it is not able to rid the planet of Kim, Xi, Poutine, Trump, Bolsonaro, Assad, Horvath and other scourges for the Humanity, we only take the emergencies and pathologies in charge... So I will have enough time to bug you with my questions concerning Gaeilge...
    Let's begin with: Is there a difference of use between mo/do/a/ár/bhur/a and An... s'agam/s'agat/s'aige/s'aige/s'againn/s'agaibh/s'acu?Is my wife "mo bean chéile" or is she "an bean chéile s'agam"?

Leave a comment:

• ustix
    replied
    And mìreanna mearaí would make a jigsaw dax.
    Árd fhear!

Leave a comment:

• mr chips
    replied
    Re "spider's web" - one of the terms for the internet is "idirghréasán", which literally means "interweb".
    Beir bua a chara, tá tú ag dul ó neart go neart!

Leave a comment:

• JN.Allezdax.com
    replied
    Words of the week... (And I am not even sure, that they will match in english...And to be honest, I am quite sure they won't...)

Labyrinth: Meascán mearaí
    Quicksand: Gaineamh súraic
    Spider's web: Gréasán (m1; gs & npl -áin; gpl gréasán)
    Nightmare: Tromluí (m4; gs tromluí; pl. tromluithe)
    Cerebral and cognitive degeneration (What I feel and measure at the moment): Ar meathlú na cognaíochta agus na hinchinne
    Je vais me pendre!: Crochfaidh mé mé féin!

It's said that the Devil hides in details... Are you sure that Paddy and his mates really did the cleaning up in Gaeilge? That's a really diabolic language. I'll need at least two lives before I'll begin to be able to use it a bit!

Leave a comment:

• ustix
    replied
    Originally posted by RED 49 View Post
    Watching a programme on sky the other night about Munster and Thomond Park , a local historian by the name of prionsias de prendergast was saying that the actual name of the ground should be pronounced Thumund Park from the Irish Tuadhmhumhain meaning north Munster.
    (Hence The Earl of Thomond, for whom Ireland should continue to be grateful).

Leave a comment:

• JN.Allezdax.com
    replied
    Originally posted by mr chips View Post

Nurturing an innocent's interest in such a fiendishly difficult language would be the behaviour of a complete sociopath. I hope you never encounter such a sadistic individual.
    Deirim leat: Tiocfaidh an aimsir!.. At least, if my poor old slow neurons allow it to me...

Leave a comment:

• tippete7trees
    replied
    Originally posted by mr chips View Post

Nurturing an innocent's interest in such a fiendishly difficult language would be the behaviour of a complete sociopath. I hope you never encounter such a sadistic individual.
    True. But you won't get very far if you never learn to speak English.........

Leave a comment:

• mr chips
    replied

Leave a comment:

• JN.Allezdax.com
    replied
    Thinking you improve in Irish is like climbing on a chair and believing you are closer to the moon... And then you always find an exception that saws a leg and you find yourself with your nose on the ground of the (hard) reality!

Leave a comment:

• Arthur Guinness
    replied
    Originally posted by RED 49 View Post
    Watching a programme on sky the other night about Munster and Thomond Park , a local historian by the name of prionsias de prendergast was saying that the actual name of the ground should be pronounced Thumund Park from the Irish Tuadhmhumhain meaning north Munster.
    That’s how some Limerick people always pronounce it. Not many but some.

Leave a comment:

• RED 49
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ustix
    replied
    Árd fhear dax!
    Lean ort 's go néirí go gheal leat...

Leave a comment:

• JN.Allezdax.com
    replied
    I was sure you would be a great help to me! And for what concerns senility or drunkeness, that's what I suspected... Even if senility was coming a bit soon.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X