DEATH TO CALL CENTERS!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That does it now, I have way too much of this crap over the last years. Some people have made fortunes thanks to them but this era must come to an end.

Call centres are the true plague of modern societies. They consist in the scientifical engeneering of incompetence and consumer disrespect; as long as they exist or keep functionning the way they do, the consumer will remain a complete loser.

I can't count the hours (0,34€ a minute) dealing with the blatant organised incompetence. The recipe is quite simple:
    <ul>[*]The person you are dealing with will always be a poor victim with a headset who cannot do anything for you as he/she has no power and no phone line to join the people who could supposedly do anything for you
    [*]"Someone else" will call you back in 24/48 hours with an "answer" to your query even if by that time it will be way to late to do anything about it.
    In fact you will never receive this call... and will have to call again yourself to find out that nobody knows what you are talking about.
    [*]Each time you call, you will start from scratch as you will never get the same person (they have no names anyway...).
    Part of the psycholgical warfare is to get you to confirm all your personal information before anything begins anyway by the time this is finished your are already rinced out and have lost any will to resist.
    [*]After telling you there was no way they were going to solve your problem and that you could litterally go to hell, they always use their sillliest mecanical voice to thank you a lot about your call and wish you a very pleasant day. That's when you realise that your have a big mushroom cloud over your head.[/list]THERE IS NOT a single time over the last year when I have ordered someting from a company linked with a call centre and I got what I wanted ON TIME. NOT A SINGLE TIME!!! Having a call centre has become a convienient way to escape one's obligations.

here a non exhaustive list: Internet access, mobile phone, cable TV, another cable TV company, a digital camera, another digital camera, bamboos for my garden and now a whole kitchen!!! Every time I spent a fortune on phone calls without getting an ounce of satifaction.

So until serious laws are voted those guys will keep s**tting in our boots as the more problems they create, the more money will be made on calls.

This is psychological warfare and this has been designed and engeneered by clever people who have no interest in helping you but rather exploiting you.
    They have edcated us to be losers; I have noticed that when I call a call center I know that I have already lost and that struggling will only make me feel more miserable (and cost me more)...

It's only a matter of time before one of the options on the automated phone menu is "press 6 to hear a recorded message telling you to f**k off and die".

Didn't I also read lately that some call centre staff have been implicated in selling bank customers' details?
    Hope Not Hate

Comment

I started out working on a call centre (AST in Limerick) and let me tell you its no barrel of laughs taking calls either. Most of the time the person taking the calls is just as frustrated as the caller. The problem is usuallythe business not employing enough people to cover the calls. In AST we were supposed to take a minimum of 35 calls a day - I was averaging 25 BUT all those calls where getting resolved that day. Some of my colleagues were taking upwards of 50 (and getting all the plaudits) but their return rate of calls was about 70%.

A lot of big companies are now rethinking their strategy viz Indian call centres as well. While the costs are low, they are receiving very bad press about the poor customer service. When it comes to product renewal, would you buy from X company when you'd had a sh*t customer experience? No. And finally that is dawning on big business.

Finally, for all the bad press call centres get, there are actually some good ones out there. Amazon springs to mind - outstanding customer service, no waiting, no "dial 1 for this" just a very helpful person on the other end of the line after two rings of the phone.
      Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

I have a rule that I don't do business with companies with Indian call centres. I'm not being racist, I just like to be able to understand and have a conversation with someone whose first language is english.

Comment

Never had any experience with Indian Call centers, in France it is usually Marrocco.

There are some good ones, Nespresso's for example is outstanding, but the vast majority is utter crap.

I am not blaming 100% the person on the phone, it is a twisted sick system which some companies use to make lots of money.

However, as you underlined Fitzy, they have the choice of actually trying to solve your problem or hang up and take the next call. Remember that the system is designed to make you feel that the person answering is a powerless innocent victim, which is only partly true.

The call center's interest is to NOT solve your problem as they prefer you will call back a number of times. For my current business (the kitchen) today was my 14th call!!!!!!!

France is starting to adopt laws about this and I hope they will go further and further. If it means death to the call centres, then I don't give a damn, I am ready to emphatise with those who work there but I have an absolute lack of respect (to be very very polite) for the dirty vultures that run them.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Cat~
            Didn't I also read lately that some call centre staff have been implicated in selling bank customers' details?

Cat, there was a documentary on Channel 4 a week or two ago regarding this. The reporter was able to buy personal details from people working within the Indian call centres.
            Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Comment

I called IKEA this morning at 10, they shut me up and told me to stay on the edge of my seat and wait for their call which could come from then to 8PM.

Oh [img]smileys/shock.gif[/img], they did not call, surprise!

Comment

Have you ever dealt with the Irish Revenue call centres in the Tax districts/Collector General???

They are just bad mannered but then if they know your tax details they can make life even worse for you.

Avoid !!!!!!!!!!!

Use the old Post Office instead when dealing with them[img]smileys/thumb-up.gif[/img]
                Munster to Win the HCUP in 2012!

Comment

Sick of dealing with call centres myself.

I shall never deal with BT again, what a joke!! Took nearly two months ringining their call centre in India trying to recitfy my broadband problem and still they never gort it fixed.

Complete an utter crap!! Never want to call one of those places again.
                  \"The difference between \'involvement\' and \'commitment\' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was \'involved\' - the pig was \'committed\'.\"
                  - unknown

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73

I started out working on a call centre (AST in Limerick) and let me tell you its no barrel of laughs taking calls either. Most of the time the person taking the calls is just as frustrated as the caller. The problem is usuallythe business not employing enough people to cover the calls. In AST we were supposed to take a minimum of 35 calls a day - I was averaging 25 BUT all those calls where getting resolved that day. Some of my colleagues were taking upwards of 50 (and getting all the plaudits) but their return rate of calls was about 70%.

A lot of big companies are now rethinking their strategy viz Indian call centres as well. While the costs are low, they are receiving very bad press about the poor customer service. When it comes to product renewal, would you buy from X company when you'd had a sh*t customer experience? No. And finally that is dawning on big business.

Finally, for all the bad press call centres get, there are actually some good ones out there. Amazon springs to mind - outstanding customer service, no waiting, no "dial 1 for this" just a very helpful person on the other end of the line after two rings of the phone.

I agree 100% with all you say.

Firstly in relation to your previouswork I understand what you're saying. We interviewed someone the other day who had previous experience in a call centre. After the interview the Boss told me that she had "survived the call centre".We were both quite impressed.

With regard to the future of these and the increased demand for quality customer serviceIreland is in an ideal position to secure these jobs. When manufacturing declinesit could present a viable alternative to maintain growth. Whether its Students or part time or full time workers, we have the necessary skills to lure them over: language, education, infrastructure, Corporate tax

Oz, I hear that most French CC's are now moving to Senegal as the accent is closer than Morrocco.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMonty
                      Originally posted by fitzy73

I agree 100% with all you say.

Firstly in relation to your previouswork I understand what you're saying. We interviewed someone the other day who had previous experience in a call centre. After the interview the Boss told me that she had "survived the call centre".We were both quite impressed.

With regard to the future of these and the increased demand for quality customer serviceIreland is in an ideal position to secure these jobs. When manufacturing declinesit could present a viable alternative to maintain growth. Whether its Students or part time or full time workers, we have the necessary skills to lure them over: language, education, infrastructure, Corporate tax

Oz, I hear that most French CC's are now moving to Senegal as the accent is closer than Morrocco.
                      I am not aware of that. They could move to hell for all I know [img]smileys/badgrin.gif[/img].

I have nothing against being charged for a 0,34 for a service like plane/train tickets or for anything related to sales. I have called Dell to order a number of things and it has always been fine.

On the other hand it should be strictly forbidden to have a paying "customer service". When something goes wrong with what you bought you should not be charged for it. We need laws against that!

As someone said in an article I have read, when you buy anything you also buy a subscription to a phone service but you don't know it yet...

Comment

shouldn't it be

DEATH TO CALL CENTRES!!!!!!!! ? [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Point

shouldn't it be

DEATH TO CALL CENTRES!!!!!!!! ? [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]
                          Nope, deliberate, the american spelling is good enough for them!

Comment

Can only concur with everyone - especially Scarface, BT are a particularly infuriating bunch of w*nkers (sorry) had endless problems with them bouncing me back and forward between the sub-continent and the UK about any Broadband problem, that and the fact that I appear to be speaking not only a foreign language but apparently in an indecipherable accent ("S for Suger" - "That's F" - "No S" - "F" etc etc etc )

Customer Service appears to be a concept beyond most companies which is bizarre considering most have Customer Service Depts............

Comment

Originally posted by plastic

customer service appears to be a concept beyond most companies which is bizarre considering most have Customer Service Depts............

Most companies have to have Customer Service Depts precisely because customer service is beyond most companies. And that's from someone who's been at both ends of it. It's no fun at all working in one, you have to toe the party line and still try to satisfy the customer, and the party line always wins
                              For you stole Trevelyan\'s watch, So the young might see....oh, never mind....

Comment

Working...
                              X