Tony Killeen must go!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tony Killeen must go!

@@@@SPAN id=news_content>@@@@SPAN ="storyline">He is responsible for the actions of his office surely? [img]smileys/mad.gif[/img]

@@@@SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Minister apologises for seeking early release of rapist@@@@/SPAN>@@@@/SPAN><BR style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">@@@@SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold" ="storytime">16/01/2007@@@@/SPAN>

Labour Affairs Minister Tony Killeen has been forced to apologise to victims of a child rapist after writing to the Minister for Justice seeking to get the man released early from prison.

Mr Killeen has confirmed that his constituency office twice wrote two letters to Michael McDowell seeking the early release of 74-year-old Joseph Nugent.

The farmer is serving a six-year sentence in Portlaoise and is not due for release until February 2008.

Mr Killeen is the second politician from Co Clare to seek the early release of the convicted rapist after Fine Gael's Pat Breen placed a Dáil question on the matter last October.

However, the Junior Minister is claiming he never meant to seek Mr Nugent's release and was simply seeking to have his safety protected following an alleged attack in prison.

@@@@/SPAN><!-Java&#083;cript Tag // Tag for network 257: Sales &#079;nline // Website: BreakingNews.ie // Page: ROS // Placement: ROS-Island-300 x 250 106743[img]smileys/cool.gif[/img]

<DIV>Doesn't quite have the same ring as let's say The Philip Sheedy Affair but it was mentioned on the radio this morning about Bobby Molloy walking the plank over something similar. If the Commander in Chief won't accept wrong doing over handers that were not given in front then why would the honourable Tony Killeen step down over something like this?</DIV>
    The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

It took Kileen nearly 15 years to get a Merc so there's no way in the world he'll give it up unless forced.

Just proves that politicians will do nearly anything to get a vote, writing letters, making calls to judges.......

Comment

Originally posted by blackandwhite

It took Kileen nearly 15 years to get a Merc so there's no way in the world he'll give it up unless forced.

Just proves that politicians will do nearly anything to get a vote, writing letters, making calls to judges.......

True, Mr. Kileen certainly will not be getting my vote and the door will be firmly closed in his face when he canvassing in my area next election.
        Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Comment

Originally posted by The Word Is Born
          <DIV>Doesn't quite have the same ring as let's say The Philip Sheedy Affair but it was mentioned on the radio this morning about Bobby Molloy walking the plank over something similar. If the Commander in Chief won't accept wrong doing over handers that were not given in front then why would the honourable Tony Killeen step down over something like this?</DIV>

If I remember rightly what Bobby Molloy did was a bit naive more than anything else as he didn't appear to be in possession of all the facts. As regards the Philip Sheedy affair,Mary Harney said we'll have forgotten about it all in 3 months and Judge O'Flaherty can be given a big job somewhere. Message for Mary: Wrong,Mary we still remember.
          The early bird catches the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

Well no suprises here[img]smileys/mad.gif[/img]

Minister refuses to quit over seeking early release of paedophile

Labour Affairs Minister Tony Killeen today refused to resign after it emerged that his Co Clare constituency office sent two letters to the Minister for Justice urging that a convicted child rapist be freed.

Mr Killeen insisted that he had only instructed his staff to write letters to the Irish Prison Service to draw attention to the poor health of his constituent Joseph Nugent, who was jailed for six years in 2002 for sex offences.

Another Clare TD, Pat Breen of Fine Gael was heavily criticised last October for making representations for an early release for Nugent in a Dáil question on behalf of Nugent's family.

Mr Killeen said today that his constituency office staff misunderstood his instructions and that he has since apologised to Nugent's victim over the issue. Yeah I'm sure that is what happened Tony

He said: "I instructed the office staff to - as they generally would and as I would in cases of humanitarian issues - bring to the authority's attention the fact that his family and his family friends had been saying that he [Nugent] had been assaulted in prison and that he feared for his life and that there were major health issues and that would always have been my policy in relation to issues of a humanitarian nature.

"Unfortunately the office staff either misunderstood, or through whatever means also sought this prisoner's release," he told Newstalk Radio.

Mr Killeen said he didn't come forward at the time his constituency colleague Mr Breen was criticised for making representations because an administrative failure prevented him checking on any correspondence.

"At that stage I didn't know that the letters had sought his release and, when I checked with the constituency office staff, they didn't have the records as all the records had been deleted the previous November in a maintenance error. God bless those maintenance errors[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

He added: "There was no way of checking exactly what had happened but I was somewhat concerned and continued to follow up during Christmas when I had time to follow up and I did feel that there was some risk that they might have sought his release and on that basis I clarified the position".
            Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

A maintenace error that destroys both paper and electronic copies? A maintenance error sounds very like a "wardrobe malfunction". But I suppose in both instances they have exposed a right tit.
              The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

I heard on the radio this morning about the nature of Patrick Nugent's many and repeated offences.

They were sickening tbh.

Comment

If this is how he runs a micky-mouse operation like a constituency office how can he be in charge of a Government Dept?

Answer:He has more staff to blame.

To see a guy blaming his staff really is as low as it gets.
                  The early bird catches the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

fupping idiot !

I see the list of issue for co-clare candidates is lengthening daily now...

1. requests to have child rapists given early release

2. unsafe water supply in the largest town in the county

3. untreated sewage still being pumped into the sea on the clare coast

4. rubbish roads all over the county (even with the ennis bypass)

5. parking charges ALL YEAR ROUND in Lahinch, but zero facilities for the single biggest group using the parking facility - sea users(surfers, kitesurfers, surflifesaversetc) what happened to the proposed facility at the beach front ?

I'm not sure to be glad or not about the fact my doorbell is busted ... glad that I don't have to talk to the idiots, unhappy that I won't have the chance to give them a serious earful.

Oh yeah and all their work to sort out the register for co. clare.. I sent back the form but did they change my address on the register - NO - so I won't get a say on the Ennis council elections, and have to haul ass up to Liscannor (on therubbish roads)to vote [img]smileys/mad.gif[/img]
                    Plato: \"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.\"

Comment

I think Mr Killeen is opening the first Fianna Fail clinic in Shannon on Saturday. I wonder why it's opening now!!!![img]smileys/c&#111;nfused.gif[/img]
                      www.stsenansrugby.com

Comment

It just goes to show how approaching your local TD is a bit of a waste
                        of time. I was speaking with an east cork TD one day and he was
                        telling me about thh number of letters he used to write to the
                        Department of Justice about early release or special treatment.

Legally, the letters would have no impact, but he still had to write as
                        if he didn't, TD X from the other party would write the letter and get
                        the vote.

Those letters are purely a matter of form, they can't have an effect,
                        which is even worse for the family, as it shows that not only did the
                        Minister write in support of a rapist, but he didn't know or care to
                        check who he was making representations for. He knew it wouldn't
                        make a difference, so he didn't bother checking and now the family is
                        being dragged back into the media spotlight again.

Comment

Kileen should resign over this.........

Comment

Precedent is there. Bobby Molloy.

Comment

Kileen wouldn't reconise a precedent if he got hit over the head by it.
                              Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Working...
                              X