No announcement yet.

Crime in Ireland

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A march sounds like people with placards. Not a good idea (just my opinion).A candle lit procession of a few thousand fans, silently walking to TP,is a powerful and dignified message.

Possibly the last thingShane's family need right now are people usinghis death to berate politicians.
    Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by jmccoy

Why not ? I would be supportive of such a move, enough is enough a message has to be sent.
      It's in reaction to a tragic and inflammatory issue, which means a march could quite often mean angry mob shouts at politicians and not dignified group of people express outrage at situation. Angry reactionary mobs are a calling card of the far-right and accomplish nothing.

Like Fitz said, some sort of candlelit vigil as a show of solidarity would carry more of a powerful message.
      "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Originally posted by jmccoy
        Originally posted by Jenta
        Originally posted by JoeyFantastic
        Originally posted by Jenta
        Folks, can we please not have this forum used for reactionary right wing solutions to a tragic situation. A minute's silence before the game is a great idea, I fully support that. But if it's crime in general that people are looking to discuss then this belongs in blabla.
        To be fair, a supporters march is a supporters issue, apologies for taking it off topic.
        Alright ya, should have said the march and the minute's silence.

Not too sure about the march though, might not be the best of ideas.
        Why not ? I would be supportive of such a move, enough is enough a message has to be sent.

how about if 1000s of people turned up at the funeral? wouldn't that send a message?

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73

A march sounds like people with placards. Not a good idea (just my opinion).A candle lit procession of a few thousand fans, silently walking to TP,is a powerful and dignified message.

Possibly the last thingShane's family need right now are people usinghis death to berate politicians.
          I agree with a march but not in association with the match. It would be better to keep them separate IMO. A minutes silence at TP would be fine and if some people wished to organise a march, that should take place in the city centre.

Comment

Originally posted by mtcmolloy

how about if 1000s of people turned up at the funeral? wouldn't that send a message?
            I plan on going anyway, not sure about the idea of using a funeral to send a message but I know what you're getting at.

"It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Originally posted by FORWARD....
              The biggest change we can all make is to encourage everyone you know from buying and/or using illicit drugs OF ANY SORT, hash, coke whatever. That will directly impact on the cashflow of these lowlifes. Each person stopping will make a difference and if a lot of people do, it will have a big impact. If they can't pay off their suppliers, then the flow of drugs stops coming.
              You and everyone you know can do this-from today.

I'd support a minute's silence/ribbon at the match as well. The whole country is shocked at this.

RIP- I hope tro see a minutes silence for the game

Do you actually think that coke addicts are going to stopusing because of this tragic event?

In the unrealistic case of drugs no longer existing or being sold, the former gangs, druglords will find money somewhere else by robbing houses, cars, or killing

Comment

Originally posted by kahalui

In the unrealistic case of drugs no longer existing or being sold, the former gangs, druglords will find money somewhere else by robbing houses, cars, or killing

At a conservative estimate I'd say the first two are at most 1% as profitable as drug dealing, and that's to the few who actually make money. Burglary and stealing cars are usually the reserve of people looking to fund a habit. Taking away the market for importing/selling drugs would solve an immeasurable level of social problems.

On a seperate issue, how is killing profitable?

Comment

Certainly the attendance at the funeral is likely to be massive, but as
                  the victim was an integral member of the rugby community, perhaps a
                  dignified candlelit procession to Thomond on the way to the match could
                  be appropriate, along with the minute's silence before the game. It's hard to know what the best thing to do would be - but whatever is done in the
                  short-term, the motivation should be a desire to show respect, support
                  and solidarity with the family. I honestly don't think a loud/angry
                  protest march will achieve that, and if people feel strongly enough
                  about it perhaps something like that could be saved for another day.
                  Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Wearing ribbons at the game or the candlelit procession are both great ideas, i would be up for both!
                    Stand up and fight

Comment

Originally posted by sparks
                      Wearing ribbons at the game or the candlelit procession are both great ideas, i would be up for both!

The minute's silence in TP,if it happens,willbe televised and should send out a very powerful message,which would be all the more so if people at the game held lit candles during it.
                      The early bird catches the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Guinness

The minute's silence in TP,if it happens,willbe televised and should send out a very powerful message,which would be all the more so if people at the game held lit candles during it</span>.
                        Thats even better
                        Stand up and fight

Comment

The minute's silence in TP,if it happens,willbe televised and should send out a very powerful message,which would be all the more so if people at the game held lit candles during it.

And let's hope that the message is clearly understoodby the mass gathering of politicians at Thomond Park on the day andshow them that the peopleexpect positive and decisive action against these murdering scum.

Comment

A minute silence will of course be held - and proper order. No doubt it will send a message to the country and would be a fitting tribute to a grass roots club player and from all accounts a really great guy as well.

My concern is that this happened when B Fitz (RIP) was killed outside his house 5/6 years ago. It was nearly the exact same scenario, walking home from work and outside his house. As I said in an earlier comment, another innocent man killed by people who obviously do not value human life. We've gone back to square one.

The rugby community have such a huge influence in our city and the clubs can make a difference - absolutely, now's not the time - but if the politicians are all around at the match they should be let known that the people of Limerick are not at all happy about the lack of progress in fighting crime in the city. Not in relation to just this event, but in relation to the regular drive by shootings (at houses), the murdering, the people driving BMWs who are on the dole, the children getting burnt, the drug dealing etc. etc. etc.

Basically, a lot has been done but nothing has been achieved. We need to try something else.

Comment

I agree Hoof. As I said on the other thread, when major crime is being organised from our prisons, it is at least time for the minister for justice to resign and perhaps even the government with him.

These clowns owe us more respect. But when, through thick and thin we continue to re-elect them, then they seem to think otherwise and maybe with justification.

Along with sympathy for the man himself and his family, that should be the message of any show of public feeling in whatever form it takes.

Hello friends in Brussels. Baldy here

Comment

The minute's silence in TP,if it happens,willbe televised and should send out a very powerful message
                                I think that's very important. Limerick alone cannot solve this problem.
                                Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Comment

Working...
                                X