Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arthur Guinness
    Originally posted by cookie-girl

I think the Gardi are doing all they can, that is not much good if the Judges are not going to impose the sentance that fits the crime. What happened in Limerick over the weekendis a disgrace! Now pepole can't walk home in case they are mistaken for a scumbag.

There will be a big push on to sort out the gangs they will lay low for a while and as soon as everything get back to normal they will start again. pressure needs to be applied to their everyday life so it impossible for them to operate and keep the pressure on them to insure an other innocent person isn't killed.

Agreed. Itwould only be a matter of time before some of them turn informer giving the Guards the intelligence re movement of drugs etc. Also as has been touched on by a number of posters,the ivory-tower dwelling judiciary would want to get their heads out of their arses and start imposing the sentences they are empowered to. I still think it has to come from the top which is why I still think Cowen should leave here in no doubt what the people want from him and what they think of his action so far.
    What happened over the weekend is very similar to a shooting down the Mill Road a few years back. An innocent man walking home at night shot outside his house. That time it was for doing his job...

A lot has been done since then, but unfortunately it hasn't worked and we're back at square one again. I honestly think the people of Limerick can come together and make a difference if the rugby clubs get involved. When Brian Cowen leaves Limerick, he should know how much we care about our city and leave these criminals in no doubt that we won't accept this any longer. It's gone on too long!

If there was a demonstration it would put pressure on judges to impose stricter sentences, it would show that the city are 100% behind na Gardaí and it would put pressure on The Department of Justice to send these criminals to jails in different counties so they can't orchestrate crimes through daily visitors.

Comment

I live in Dublin but would be very willing to take a day off and come home for the march, and there are a lot like me. There is a huge number of Limerick lads playing rugby in Dublin who I am sure would come home for it too. Besides that, there are Limerick people living all over the country who would make it their business to be there on the day and march.
      Cut it into 6 slices morris, I\'d never finish 8!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dummy Pop
        I completely agree that a march down
        O'Connell street to highlight the lack of action by authorities to
        combat these so called gangs is a must. The ordinary honest decent
        working people of Limerick need to have their voices heard. This
        unfortunate lad was by all accounts a decent chap who loved his
        rugby and his club. We cannot just let him become another statistic
        of this filth who have blighted our city.Time has come for the
        Limerick rugby fraternity to put the foot down and let the authorities
        know that we cannot and will not stand for this.After all, every
        Limerick senior club has teams from other provinces visiting them to
        play AIL week in week out. We want these people to leave our city
        with fond memories of Thomond Park and the fabulous work that has
        gone into regenerating Limerick city, we do not want them to go back
        home with stories of bullet proof vests and scumbags shooting
        people.The time is now!!
        Hope I'm not being insulting but its all grand talking about it but who
        is going to actually do something in terms of organising the march
        everyone is talking about? Talk is easy.
        \"Golf is a game for c**ts\" Ronnie Drew

Comment

When is Cowen's visit?
          Up the Yellow Road

Comment

More than that, what would a march actually achieve?

If you are angry, really properly angry, use the only thing you can do to register your dis-satisfaction. Vote the Government who have overseen the rise of the gangs out of Government, vote them out of local Government, keep them out until they realise it is not enough to promise change, you actually have to deliver it. If you think you could do better, run for election yourself, or join the party who you think can change things and help them into power. As Joe Hill said, "don't mourn, organise".

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Comment

i dont know if any of you have every watched a series on the discovery channel called "americas hardest" about the prisons in the US
              they have huge gang populations and the sentence for gang membership is 15 - 20 years and thats hard time in a proper prison.
              the most famous of them all is Sherrif Joe who has the prison in the Arizona Desert and has the chain gangs back introduced he has very little reoffenders and the sign outside his prison reads "this jail is not for rehabilation this jail is for punishment"
              his main claim to fame is that it costs him $1 a day to feed his 250 german shepard dogs and only .40cent to feed his inmates.
              prisoners have no contact with the outside world no tv ,no newspapers,no visits.
              we on the other hand have budgies in cells with plasma TVs and more drugs then they would have if they were out on the street.
              sentences need to be a lot tougher and that is the only form of deterant for these scumbags

Comment

Originally posted by cookie-girl
                When is Cowen's visit?
                He'll be at the match to officially open the stadium. They could have made a better choice for that but thats for another thread. [img]smileys/confused.gif[/img]
                "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too ?" - Douglas Adams

Comment

I condemn without reservation this most appalling crime. However, the posts in here are the usual knee jerk reaction to an outrage, and with respect, are not the solution, in the long term in any event. In respect of sentencing the laws and penalties are sufficient at present. The Judges are imposing sentences in most cases commensurate with the crimes. You cannot impose mandatory sentencinmg across the board as mitigating circumstances do not get taken into account, such as early guilty pleas, assisting the Gardai, previous convictions, victim impacts. On top of thisthe lack of room in our prisons means most prisoners will receive remission of some sort. In any event, all the research shows that incarceration is not a deterrent. Im sure the Algerian example suggested above is less as a result of the length of the penalty and more to do with the horror which I can only assume would be the experience of an Algerian prison.

Its boring, its unpopular, its expensive, but unless we do something about the eduication system particularly at national school level, after school support and resource teachers allied to improving the facilities and opportunities for kids in the 5-18 year old bracket in these areas we may as well be picking up soup with a fork. The kids (and undoubtably the perpetrators of this murder will transpire, if theyre ever brought before the courts to bein the 15-25 yr old bracket) who are being recruited by the drug scum are doing so because it is their perceived escape route from the drudge whcih is their lives. The NOrth had a similar problem with regard to the INLA, IRA, PLA etc. A fortune has been invested, employemnt increased, young people given opportunitiesand this has had as muchto do with these organisations being stood down as the peace process.

Its Limerick today. Could be Cork tomorrow. As a society we have no prob so long as theyre killing each other. The young plumber in Dublin who was killed when Marlo Hyland was gunned down and now young Geoghan hit a nerve becasue they could be any of us or our kids. I think its going tio take the murder of a judge or politicians son in crossfire before measures are taken.
                  Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

PS .... Im certain there will be a minutes silence next Tuesday week ..... it would be appropriate and fitting
                    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Don't expect too much change from our heads-in-the-clouds Judiciary.[img]smileys/mad.gif[/img]

Remember only recently a ten year sentence imposed on the infamousWayne Dundon - who was attempting to import rocket launchers in order to blow up a Garda van carryinga State witness in a case against him - had his sentence reduced by three years. Apparently a 10 year sentence for the potential mass-murder ofGod knows how many people (knowing that crowdthey'd miss the van and hit a school)is seen as "excessive" and Mr. Dundon will be released to impose even further misery sooner rather than later.

Comment

Bobby, I completly agree with you I have watched America's Hardest, being a law abiding citizen I would have thought that is what prisionswouldbe like, but they are not comfortable enough for Irish criminals apparently. They think it is inhumane to slop out yet it is ok to take anothers life.
                        Up the Yellow Road

Comment

Folks, can we please not have this forum used for reactionary right wing solutions to a tragic situation. A minute's silence before the game is a great idea, I fully support that. But if it's crime in general that people are looking to discuss then this belongs in blabla.
                          "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Originally posted by Jenta
                            Folks, can we please not have this forum used for reactionary right wing solutions to a tragic situation. A minute's silence before the game is a great idea, I fully support that. But if it's crime in general that people are looking to discuss then this belongs in blabla.
                            To be fair, a supporters march is a supporters issue, apologies for taking it off topic.
                            It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyFantastic
                              To be fair, a supporters march is a supporters issue, apologies for taking it off topic.
                              Alright ya, should have said the march and the minute's silence.

Not too sure about the march though, might not be the best of ideas.
                              "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyFantastic
                                Alright ya, should have said the march and the minute's silence.

Not too sure about the march though, might not be the best of ideas.
                                Why not ? I would be supportive of such a move, enough is enough a message has to be sent.
                                "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too ?" - Douglas Adams

Comment

Working...
                                X