Luckless Internationals/Provincial player

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luckless Internationals/Provincial player

Shaun Payne, never capped, was he even capped at A level?
    It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

yes
    Seven social sins: politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice

Comment

Pat Murray I thought deserved a cap or two.
      The early bird catches the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

I meantthat Mick Fitz was luckless in that he got injured so often - the result of his massive hard tackling style, I suppose. He only won 4 Irish caps - probably all awarded when Pat O'Hara (another hard hitter) was himself injured.

New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Guinness
          Pat Murray I thought deserved a cap or two.

he deserved a lot more than one or two

Comment

Tony Horgan from Cork Con in the '70s. I saw him at his peak. Never capped. It was during the era when "the Big 5" selected the Irish team. (2 from Leinster, 2 from Ulster and 1 other).

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus
              Originally posted by Old Dog

I meantthat Mick Fitz was luckless in that he got injured so often - the result of his massive hard tackling style, I suppose. He only won 4 Irish caps - probably all awarded when Pat O'Hara (another hard hitter) was himself injured.

I know that you meant that OD, I just tokk it another step when thinking about how UNLUCKY he was not to get more caps. I reckon Mick was a far better player than O'Hara.
              I always felt O'Hara was desperately unlucky with injuries. I'd also imagine that Simon Geoghegan would be up there in terms of injuries and the quality centres inside him.

Comment

Willie Burns the Lansdowne and Leinster Hooker. Schools International in the early 80s, scored four tries in the one match for the Ba Bas. From Birr, he also played U21 for Offaly.

Comment

My memory may have failed me (it often does)but I seem to recall Mick Fitz coming into the team with a huge reputation as a destructive tackler and then watching as he ran around attempting to catch up with something to tackle . . shades of a man holding a fork as it rained soup. Too harsh?

Anyone know of a decent site that stocks retro Irish jerseys btw?

Comment

Good to see Pat O' Hara mentioned as I rate him as one of the toughest and most honest wingforwards Ireland ever had , prolonged his career by controversially moving from the Well to Con, but it proved a wise move.

He has at least one very promising son playing for Pres, but he never played schools rugby himself, great player!

Comment

I remember Mick Fitz absolutely hammering a Welsh prop. Laurence Delaney, I think his name might have been?

Anyone think Liam Toland maybe deserved more recognition?

Comment

Working...
                      X