Advice on Dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on Dogs

The wife and I are thinking of getting a Siberian Huskey - has anyone had any experience of owing one of these?
    The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
    Everybody's out on the run tonight but there\'s no place left to hide.

Do it before 12 tonight, the import tariff on Siberian Huskies just went up 25%.
    "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

If you have young kids get something like a Golden Retriever. Great with kids.
      Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud
        If you have young kids get something like a Golden Retriever. Great with kids.
        Great temperament. Lovely dogs.

Comment

I highly reccomend boxers they are brilliant dogsbut can belittle highly strung. I have 2 one was a total nutter as a pup and the other is a dream to own already at 6 months.
          Rehab is for quitters.

Comment

I know a guy who kept them. Very high maintainance dogs. Used to pack living, so they get lonely very quickly if left on their own and that can lead to problem behaviours. Will also absorb an almost limitless amount of exercise. And they shed hair like there's no tomorrow.

They're nice dogs in terms of personality - they were bred to live amongst people.

Don't forget that they howl a fair bit, and can clear a fairly high fence as well - you'd need something around the seven or eight foot mark to contain a grown dog.
            "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Jenta
              Do it before 12 tonight, the import tariff on Siberian Huskies just went up 25%.

[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]
              Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Ballina at 6:36 pm travelling at 55 mph, the other from Claremorris 4:19pm at a speed of 35 mph.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnm2501
                The wife and I are thinking of getting a Siberian Huskey - has anyone had any experience of owing one of these?
                2 hours at gas mark 6, plus 10 minutes per lb.

Comment

make sure you have decent sized garden for bigger or hyper dogs
                  "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Originally posted by Hugged Rugger
                    make sure you have decent sized garden for bigger or hyper dogs

Oh - they dig up gardens as well.Left over from thetunnelling/digging instinct that's quite handy living in snow.
                    "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Get yourself one of them.

I have two, great dogs with a great mentality. More like people then dogs.
                      http://i360.photobucket.com/albums/o...nnusrose_b.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Johnm2501
                        They are fair nice dogs, but dont dream of having a nice garden [img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]
                        Stand up and fight

Comment

I don't know much about Huskies, but I do know that they bark and howl a lot sometimes for no apprent reason and need more exercise than some other types. E.g. It would be border line cruelty to leave it penned in a garden alone all day - It would drive it demented! I find typical gun dogs / retrievers (Labs or Goldens) easiest to train, keep, etc. Easy to train them not to bark and train them to bark at strangers - then be quiet, etc. They're generally not high strung, good around kids, don't need an abnormally high amount of exercise, but should be let to run often (and swim if possible), but they won't go like the energiser bunny like setters. They're prettty happy when left alone for long periods in general.

I don't hunt - and am a total amateur at dog training, but trained 2 black labs to retrieve from water and bush no problem. They love to please their owners and a strong word is all it takes to put them in their place (They likewise hate to displease). When my daughter was younger and a baby - the male would steer well clear of her. Now she is 5 and can easily control him with sit, stay, lie-down, get down, come, etc. Very friendly andI couldn't imagine a more pleasant type of dog to own...

All dogs are high maintenance - some just more than others...Choose carefully!

Comment

RETHINK
                            Hello friends in Brussels. Baldy here :_surrender__revampe

Comment

Get a smart one and teach him how to ride a bike.
                              Grandpa Simpson: The last time the meteors came, we thought the sky was on fire. Naturally, we blamed the Irish. We hanged more \'n a few.

Comment

Working...
                              X