Motorcycle driving test query

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motorcycle driving test query

I have applied for, and received notification of, my driving test for a class A1 (less than 125cc) motorcycle. I have been trying to find out whether I can just turn up on a larger (250cc) motorcycle and do the class A test (as the test is the same regardless of the size of the bike) but I have been told by people in Mayo that I have the wrong number, I have received automatic, useless email responses and I have been cut off when I have pressed the only option on the helpline that will get you talking to a real person.

Anyway, I am wondering whether anyone knows (or knows someone who may know) about this- can I just turn up on the larger bike?- and would appreciate some advice.

Ta.

I doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes

I have applied for, and received notification of, my driving test for a class A1 (less than 125cc) motorcycle. I have been trying to find out whether I can just turn up on a larger (250cc) motorcycle and do the class A test (as the test is the same regardless of the size of the bike) but I have been told by people in Mayo that I have the wrong number, I have received automatic, useless email responses and I have been cut off when I have pressed the only option on the helpline that will get you talking to a real person.

Anyway, I am wondering whether anyone knows (or knows someone who may know) about this- can I just turn up on the larger bike?- and would appreciate some advice.

Ta.

Give your TD something to while away a few hours. If you're getting no joy from the relevant Civil Servants,nothing new here,you're entitled to get him/her on the case. Get a written answer.
      The early bird catches the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

This link mentions day of the test. Says that the tester checks that your prov licence is relevant to vehicle. Click on the link in the left hand nav bar for Preparing For Your Driving Test. I assume it's the same for bikes.

Comment

I have a licence for both categories so that isn't a problem.

Thanks for the advice lads.

I may get on to Dan Boyle and make him earn that vote come May!

Comment

Careful now! He might advise you to get a bicycle instead....
            Bagáiste ar phriacal an úinéara.

Comment

make sure you get a few pre tests in if you can, preferably the morning of the test. They have some new sneaky tests now like asking you to take the next right and its a one way street, if you over the white line in the middle of the road to take the turn they'll fail you. I also did my test on a 250CC, I didn't even own it I rented so it will be fine but I was going for the full unrestricted test. Try the http://www.irishbikerforum.comor www.biker.ie for advicethey are good forums
              Frank the Tank is not coming back. OK? That part of me is over, water under the bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Guinness

Give your TD something to while away a few hours. If you're getting no joy from the relevant Civil Servants,nothing new here,you're entitled to get him/her on the case. Get a written answer.

Yep -the Driver Testing Unit is a decentralised part of a Government Department - it's full of Mayo muckers who don't give a flying fuck for their "customers" - and if you think that's bad, then just wait until we're all decentralised under Bertie's master plan and watch the quality of service descend even further.

New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dog
                  Originally posted by Arthur Guinness

Yep -the Driver Testing Unit is a decentralised part of a Government Department - it's full of Mayo muckers who don't give a flying fuck for their "customers" - and if you think that's bad, then just wait until we're all decentralised under Bertie's master plan and watch the quality of service descend even further.

Yep, answering inane questions is exactly what I want my legislators to be doing.[img]smileys/rolleyes.gif[/img]

OD, could the quality of service descend further???[img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]Or was keeping people waiting a year for a test something we should have been grateful for?
                  \"This year is different because this year they won\'t beat snow off a rope. They\'ll revert back to type and get 6 shades of s**t bate out of them in the group stages of the HEC ...\" Tobyglen 21 Sept 2010

Comment

Working...
                  X