X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shannon airport says no

Unions reject plans for Shannon Airport

09 January 2007 22:18
    Unions at Shannon Airport have overwhelmingly rejected restructuring plan for the airport which would have ensured cost savings of €10 million a year.

The company was seeking over 200 voluntary redundancies, increased flexibility in work practices and rosters, and plans to outsource its catering division.

It is understood that margin of rejection was over 80% against the proposal, which also included redundancy terms of up to 10 weeks' pay per year of service, extra incentives for over 60s, and a €10,000 payment to staff remaining with the company.[img]smileys/shock.gif[/img]

SIPTU's National Industrial Secretary Michael Halpenny said the vote reflected the concerns of workers about the future of jobs at Shannon and the role played by Shannon in the western region.

A spokesperson for Shannon Airport said its initial response was extreme disappointment at the outcome. It will comment more fully when appropriate.

The Labour Relations Commission is expected to contact both management and unions to review the situation.

Approval of the restructuring programme is seen as an essential step in the Government's plan to break up the three airports at Dublin, Cork and Shannon into separate, competing companies.

Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

10 Weeks per year is not a bad deal.I believe part of the offer was the Pension would click in at 55.80% is a huge rejection rate.[img]smileys/shock.gif[/img]
    I distrust Camels and anybody else that go for 7 days without a drink

Comment

I spoke to someone recently about this and the sticking point is that the 10 weeks per year is capped. Their gripe is that someone with 25 years service for example get the same money as someone with 30 years. Seems a load of cobblers but that's what happens with unions in the semi state sector.

Comment

Originally posted by blackandwhite
        I spoke to someone recently about this and the sticking point is that the 10 weeks per year is capped. Their gripe is that someone with 25 years service for example get the same money as someone with 30 years. Seems a load of cobblers but that's what happens with unions in the semi state sector.

Of redundancies over the last few years I've not heard of a company that HASN'T capped, which is ridiculous anyway as surely you would want to get rid of the oldest/longest serving to bring the wage bill down ?

I think the deal they were offered was excellent.

Comment

A very generous deal, those of us in the private sector can only look on in amazement. I guess it was tax payers money on offer?

Comment

Originally posted by blackandwhite
            I spoke to someone recently about this and the
            sticking point is that the 10 weeks per year is capped. Their
            gripe is that someone with 25 years service for example get the same
            money as someone with 30 years. Seems a load of cobblers but
            that's what happens with unions in the semi state sector.

So somebody who has 25 years service gets 25 x 10 weeks pay = 250 weeks or just shy of 5 years salary.

Someone who has 30 years gets 30 x 10 weeks = 300 weeks or just shy of 6 years salary.

If I'm correct here that sounds very generous.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus

No Dermot . cap in place. would mean that someone being here for 30years, would only get the same terms as that on 25 yrs ..

So the other 5 years of service would not be counted

You're still talking about €200-€300,000 euro, Laz. Plus a pension. That isn't bad.

Comment

The Cap is a maximum of 145 weeks.Some of the Craft Union Members are on75,000+ per year.
                I distrust Camels and anybody else that go for 7 days without a drink

Comment

If I was doing it all again I would just have applied to be an airport policeman or firefighter or ESB linesman etc. when I left school at 17.

Why bother going to college and fighting for survival in the private sector when you are up against this?

Comment

Originally posted by wildRover

If I was doing it all again I would just have applied to be an airport policeman or firefighter or ESB linesman etc. when I left school at 17.

Why bother going to college and fighting for survival in the private sector when you are up against this?

Yup. 20:20 etc.

Comment

That is just unbelivable. To re-iterate Wild Rovers point, why bother going to college and getting a private sector job when you could get a package like that...I can't believe it was rejected by 80%...if they had accepted, I'd be on here complaining about them getting too much taxpayers money..typical public sector, no idea of what life is like in the real world of underfunded pension plans, no job security, performance based pay...

Comment

exactly [img]smileys/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

That's the thing that bugged me about the whole benchmarking process.
                          As far as I know, there is no consideration given to the security of
                          tenure in a public or civil service job in the event of an economic
                          downturn, guareenteed promotion through the grades regardless of
                          performance, no room for dismissal for poor performance.

Those are three major factors that are unavailable in the private sector,
                          so the like-for-like pay argument doesn't, in my mind, stand up. It was
                          just a way of not pissing off a fairly major voting block.

Comment

<!-
                            var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
                            var SymReal;

Sym()
                            {
                            window.open = SymWinOpen;
                            if(SymReal != null)
                            SymReal();
                            }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
                            {
                            if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
                            SymReal&#079;nLoad();
                            window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
                            SymReal = window.;
                            window. = Sym;
                            }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
                            window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//->FYI. The SIPTU members alone voted as follows.

Total votes: 438

Spoilt votes: 2 (Don't ask)

Against: 349

For: 87.

Overwhelming to say the least.

Even middle management members of IMPACT voted against. That says a lot.

<!-
                            var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
                            var SymReal;

Sym()
                            {
                            window.open = SymWinOpen;
                            if(SymReal != null)
                            SymReal();
                            }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
                            {
                            if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
                            SymReal&#079;nLoad();
                            window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
                            SymReal = window.;
                            window. = Sym;
                            }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
                            window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//->
                            "This was the performance Ireland had been threatening all championship but had only managed to produce in fits and starts. Defeats at the hands of France and Wales had put paid to their title aspirations, never mind a Grand Slam, but yesterday’s emphatic 24-8 win shows that this is a team moving in the right direction."

The Irish Times after Ireland beat England at Lansdowne Road on 19/03/11

Comment

It says they expect to be able to squeeze even more tax payers money out of Shannon.

Comment

Working...
                              X