HSE Disgrace yet again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pythagoras View Post
    I can imagine, but that's a different problem.
    Keeping government spending secret is not the solution to an overly intrusive press.
    Anyway if there was business to be performed in court to finalise this, I'm sure it did not require the
    attendance of the Mr Halappanavar.
    I think that he no longer lives here.
    Many if not most settlements involving the State are confidential (because the State is too big a mark), but there is a paper trail. And, since it seems liability was admitted, there was never going to be cross-examination as to liability.
    Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomond78 View Post
      Many if not most settlements involving the State are confidential (because the State is too big a mark), but there is a paper trail. And, since it seems liability was admitted, there was never going to be cross-examination as to liability.
      What do you mean by the phrase that the state is 'too big a mark'?
      Is it that people will suddenly realise as a result of a settlement being made public that the state has money?

Comment

What do you mean by the phrase that the state is 'too big a mark'?
        Is it that people will suddenly realise as a result of a settlement being made public that the state has money?
        The State has money, but, unique amongst all defendants, can't take steps to avoid paying. It also, uniquely, has duties on it in relation to performance of its functions that other defendants don't have, such as a requirement to carry out its functions in a manner consistent with the ECHR (and that includes effective remedy for the right to bodily integrity as part of the right to life). No matter what it does, it'll get slated: too high for some, too low for others, massive invasion of privacy for all (which right to privacy it also has to respect) and some try-ons (and there are try-ons - and this is NOT one). Hence why it'll often try to keep things confidential; it's the least of all evils.

Settlement also has no effect on clinical matters, or responsibility, as it's largely economic in many cases: once liable, you're there to do the best deal possible. Egregious errors may be settled for smaller money, relatively small ones for very large, because of the individual circumstances, so amount doesn't map across to levels of negligence in any manner that would be useful or indicative. Basically, it's prurience driven by the papers.

I would note, on the wider scheme, that Dorothea Dowling and PIAB have both pointed out the insurers are making claims to justify massively increased premia about increased costs and payments that just don't match the data on those held by PIAB, but that the insurers are, quite deliberately, not releasing data on settlements before PIAB that would allow those claims to be tested. Don't think the State is the worst offender here; it's not, by a long way.
        Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

Anyone else see what we've been up to on the other side of Black Pig's Dyke. We've gone full Donald Trump.

Woman who bought drugs online to terminate pregnancy given suspended sentence - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-35962134

According to some of the nut jobs up here, that sentence wasn't strong enough!

Abortion: Precious Life calls for appeal in case of woman who took drugs to end pregnancy - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-35969816

This woman has been convicted of the crime of not having enough money to travel to England to have an abortion. On average 3 women a DAY travel across the water to terminate a pregnancy.
          Commemorate Nevin Spence here -
          http://www.mycharity.ie/event/munste..._nevin_spence/

Comment

Yeah, I heard some of the discussion about this on radio yesterday. When the point was made about how she wouldn't have been prosecuted in England, Scotland or Wales, the whack-a-mole nutjob brought in to support/defend the prosecution started blathering on about how the law must not be broken and then how it wasn't a strict enough sentence. I switched off after that as I didn't want to punch my own radio out of the dash (I find I've been having to do that a lot lately).

NB that Bernadette Smith one from "Precious Life" is the same looper who was convicted of harassing the then head of the Marie Stopes clinic in Belfast, but later managed to get her own sentence overturned. That was despite her having said "You ain't seen harassment yet darling" to the woman, and following another woman down the street, as well as stopping and challenging women on their way into the clinic demanding to know why they were going in there. An all-round lovely character.
            Tis but a scratch.

Comment

If only those defending the rights of the unborn put as much emphasis on the rights of the born.
              A lion online, a lamb at home.

Comment

Why was my post removed?
                "Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpasimpson View Post
                  Why was my post removed?

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpasimpson View Post
                    Why was my post removed?
                    There wasn't an issue with yours, rather the post you had quoted - that one has been removed, along with your own one containing the quote (so that it would no longer be visible).
                    Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
                      There wasn't an issue with yours, rather the post you had quoted - that one has been removed, along with your own one containing the quote (so that it would no longer be visible).
                      ##mod edit##
                      Last edited by ick; 7-April-2016, 08:44. Reason: Rules

Comment

Dear Drick
                        What I said to Mr Chips was very mild compared to what's said daily on here without sanction.

Just sayin', like.

(I hope this post isn't stepping over the mark, please accept my sincere and grovellingest apologies if it is.
                        I remain your most humble and obedient servant, P.)

Even if if I has, Please don't ban me, please!

Comment

Dear Drick
                          What I said to Mr Chips was very mild compared to what's said daily on here without sanction.

Just sayin', like.

(I hope this post isn't stepping over the mark, please accept my sincere and grovellingest apologies if it is.

Get a grip man
                          My computer thinks I'm gay
                          What's the difference anyway
                          When all the people do all day
                          Is stare into a phone

Comment

Dear Drick

Just sayin', like.

what you said was way over the top, & nowhere near what is posted here on a daily basis.

if you do see stuff posted like that, feel free to use the report button & it will be reviewed.

Comment

Dear Drick

Just sayin', like.

Your post, on a sensitive topic that matters a lot to many posters, was crassly worded and offensive on a number of levels. That's why the man who venerates the killers of 1916 objected to it, as is his right. I found it mildly offensive, but from a previous exchange with you, I knew your form, so wasn't particularly surprised.
                              New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Originally posted by Drick View Post
                                what you said was way over the top, & nowhere near what is posted here on a daily basis.

if you do see stuff posted like that, feel free to use the report button & it will be reviewed.
                                Well old dog just said that grandpasimpson venerates killers, if what I said was an infraction, isn't that one too?

Comment

Working...
                                X