X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HSE Disgrace yet again

Mater hospital patients had tissue shoved down throats
    Ken Foxe
    The Mater Hospital in Dublin has confirmed that it launched three separate investigations after patients were found with medical gauze or tissue lodged down their throats for no apparent reason, the Sunday Tribune can reveal.

The family of Terence Wheelock, who died at the hospital months after falling unconscious while in garda custody in June 2005, has received an official apology after discovering that a staff member had lodged gauze in his mouth causing him to be "blue and gasping for breath".

Another staff member noticed that 20-year-old Wheelock was struggling to breathe and removed the gauze with a forceps. The staff member, a Filipino, subsequently met with the Wheelock family and in­formed them of what happened.

It then emerged that the incident had not been recorded on Wheelock's medical file leading to allegations of a cover-up by the hospital. The staff member accused of deliberately placing the gauze in Wheelock's mouth refused to cooperate with an internal inquiry and was never interviewed or sanctioned.

A spokesman for the Mater has confirmed that this staff member is still employed by the hospital. An independent report into the incident concluded that there would have been no reason for gauze to be used to treat Wheelock.

This incident occurred on 23 July, 2005. Five months earlier an elderly man who was found dead at the hospital also had gauze placed in his mouth for no apparent reason.

This is referred to in the internal report compiled into the Wheelock incident. The Mater spokesman said: "In relation to the 2005 case, an internal investigation was carried out and again nothing untoward was found. It was an independent coincidence and there was no link with that and any other case."

The third case involving unexplained items lodged down patients' throats occ­urred on Good Friday 2007 when 70-year-old Michael Bowler from Tallaght was found dead in his hospital bed.

Bowler had been admitted to the Mater suffering from breathing problems arising out of a serious lung condition. A staff member examined him and noticed that a large amount of tissue was lodged in his windpipe.

Detectives from Mountjoy garda station were called in to investigate the death of Bowler .

"There was a garda investigation into the case," a Mater spokesman said: "It was found that the incident was self-inflicted and nothing untoward had been done by any member of the hospital."

There is no evidence that the three incidents are linked and the hospital says that procedures have been put in place to ensure that an incident similar to the Wheelock one could not happen in the future.
    The hospital has conceded that staff "did not follow all of the established reporting procedures" in relation to Wheelock.

In confirming that the nurse accused of wrongdoing was still working at the Mater, the spokesperson said: "There were no grounds for hospital management not to reinstate him after he had been suspended pending the initial investigation."

The Sunday Tribune understands that 10 other staff members made statements against the nurse accused of placing the gauze in Wheelock's mouth.
    My computer thinks I'm gay
    What's the difference anyway
    When all the people do all day
    Is stare into a phone

I spent a depressing couple of hours yesterday in the company of a relation who is involved in the medical world. There is no hope for the HSE, it is becoming a self protecting club. Before the HSE, there were 11 grade 8s i.e. the head of the health boards roughly earning about €300,000 a year. The HSE created 500 grade 8s and have expanded that to 750 grade 8s.

Most of them have no real function and are happy to keep the lid on things so that the gravy train continues, meanwhile Fianna Fail have no intention of doing anything about it because Harney is taking the flack for them, and the HSE is just another buffer.

I was told of a top class surgeon in Cork who was headhunted to come back from the US. One of his specialities is the removal of gall stones by keyhole surgery. Someone could be in chronic pain up to that and could literally be playing golfetc, the next day. A lot of these people are very poorly and the only other alternative is major surgery which is very dodgy in their condition. The surgeon was doing 300 operations a year but has been told by a HSE bean counter to cut it back to 30 a year because they were costing too much. He wasn't bothered about the effect on patients.

The HSE attitude is that the doctors are doing too good a job as people are living longer. Statistically, the last 8 years years of your life is the most expensive for your health provider (public or private) and the HSE are livid that people are lasting longer than expected. They wouldn't mind the Winter Vomiting bug or MRSA were it not for the negative publicity that it attracts, as it is a good way to weed out the weak.

This co-location crap is going to have a further knock on effect. You would think that the likes of the Bons would be catering for those of us who have private health insurance but there was a recent change which now allows private Irish hospitals to do work for the National Treatment Purchase Fund. What is happening now is those public patients who are stuck on a waiting list and eventually qualify for NTPF and being taken ahead of Private patients in the likes of the Bons because an operation that costs €2,000 in the CUH or to a private patient in the Bons, is being charged at €10,000 under the NTPF. So naturally the Bons are going for the bigger earning op.

Comment

The other thing is that you don't hear the media exposing what is going on. The likes of the national papers like the Irish Times, Indo and the Examiner all earn major moola from the HSE in adverts and job ads. The HSE have threatened to remove this from papers who go after them.

Comment

Originally posted by Point

The other thing is that you don't hear the media exposing what is going on. The likes of the national papers like the Irish Times, Indo and the Examiner all earn major moola from the HSE in adverts and job ads. The HSE have threatened to remove this from papers who go after them.

If they all go after them where will they advertise then?

Comment

Working for the HSE must be akin to winning the lottery, especially if you manage to find one of the many seemingly no responsibility management jobs.
          It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Comment

What I cant understand how the situation above is allowed to happen. The guy refuses to co-operate so its all just dropped. The unionshave made it all but impossible to sack people even when its clear they should be.

As forthe 750 grade 8's certain people will tell you thats what you need to be paying to attract the best talent. In fact we should be paying way more apparently. If its not performance related then whats the point in increasing the spending?
            Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by sewa

As forthe 750 grade 8's certain people will tell you thats what you need to be paying to attract the best talent. In fact we should be paying way more apparently. </span>
              Absolutely, these guys pay huge private health insurance contributions.
              Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

What I cant understand how the situation above is allowed to happen.

Surely you are awareof the identity of the "qualified accountant" who still runs the Mater Hospital in Dublin's Inner City? (ever wonder why the Mater was selected as the site for the new National Childrens' Hospital?)

New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Sickening OD. [img]smileys/mad.gif[/img]
                  Is stare into a phone

Comment

But what can be done? The HSE are now a law unto themselves due to Harney and Fianna Fail's complicity and incompetence.
                    It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Comment

Rebuild from scratch. Bring in procedures where people can be disciplined and ultimately fired when they are incompetent. Not co-operating with investigations shouldn't be an option.Going back to the health boards with their political interference would be no improvementalthoughI suspect a lot of people working in the Health servicewant exactly that
                      Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyFantastic
                        But what can be done? The HSE are now a law unto themselves due to Harney and Fianna Fail's complicity and incompetence.

What about setting up a Tribunal of Inquiry into the HSE? [img]smileys/idea.gif[/img]
                        New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

I'm surprise there is no criminal investigation into the above. Surely its a matter for the guards on the grounds of criminal negligence in theplacing the gauze in Wheelock's mouth

Comment

Rebuild from scratch. Bring in procedures where people can be disciplined and ultimately fired when they are incompetent. Not co-operating with investigations shouldn't be an option.Going back to the health boards with their political interference would be no improvementalthoughI suspect a lot of people working in the Health servicewant exactly that

That is what my relation (who is a consultant) says should happen, but it won't, because everybody involved in the Health Service will lose, so they allow the many disgraces to go on.

Comment

Originally posted by Point

Rebuild from scratch.</font> Bring in procedures where people can be disciplined and ultimately fired when they are incompetent. Not co-operating with investigations shouldn't be an option.Going back to the health boards with their political interference would be no improvementalthoughI suspect a lot of people working in the Health servicewant exactly that

That is what my relation (who is a consultant) says should happen, but it won't, because everybody involved in the Health Service will lose, so they allow the many disgraces to go on.
                              I work in the HSE and I'm a consultant and most medical people, particularly the more progressive senior docs who have been trying to get things changed , would agree with this-rebuild with proper accountability and responsibility structures. I'm happy to put my hand up and be assessed first day for value for money and quality of service. Who wouldn't want this? The mandarins who are embarking, yet again, on a further bout of McKinsey restructuring , to align the 'pillars' in the HSE!!! This will keep a few more Grade 8s and beyond in musical chairs for the forseeable future.
                              "Fineen Wycherley was everywhere. When I watched this video back late on Saturday night I half expected to look up from my laptop to find him in my kitchen ' TRK Nov 3rd 2019 following Cardiff v Munster

Comment

Working...
                              X