Star Wars: your final chart

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Wars: your final chart

They are currently reshowing all the episodes in the right order on Canal Plus (in France). Interesting way to have a clear opinion about the different episodes. Here is my definite chart:

<ul>[*]@@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;">1. Empire Strikes Back: @@@@/SPAN>IMO the best of the whole saga even if some of the effects have aged a bit. It is both one of the darkest (Luke V Darth) and funniest (Leia V Solo). It is also the episode where the characters are the most developped.
    [*]@@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;">2. Return of the Jedi: @@@@/SPAN>Excellent episode even if it lacks the subtelty of ESB. The final battle is one of the most amazing non digital special effects scene ever achieved. The Jaba palace first part is also memorable. The main thing that bores me is the Ewoks part...
    [*]@@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;">3. Revenge of the Siths: @@@@/SPAN>Definitely the best of the new trilogy. There is also the best light saber fight of the saga between Anakin Sw and Kenobi (amazing...). A few things I dislike though: despite good efforts Anakin's turn to the dark side is a bit sudden and difficult to explain. The emperor's new face is grotesque, it was far better in ROJ. Vador's "NOOOOOOOO" is also an enormous mistake.
    [*]@@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;">4. War of the clones: @@@@/SPAN>Well not entirely convinced by this one, contrarily to ESB I feel that this one has been squished between two episodes... I also think the first part with the chase in the city is ridiculous. Nice special effects and McGregor's performance are the main high points of this one.
    [*]@@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;">5. A new hope: @@@@/SPAN>I know it is tough putting it so low in my chart but watch it again, it really show its age. The scenario is week and some scenes are a almost grotesque. The revamped version only underlines this further. I can't watch it without seeing Austin Powers quoting "Laser". On the good points: Han's character.
    [*]@@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;">6. Phantom Menace: @@@@/SPAN>Despite some obvious qualities and memorable scenes (pod race), I can't help being bored by this one. Once again, I'd invite you to watch this one again to see that the digital effects already show their age, blurry, over saturated and too empty (have another look at the landscapes, most of them look like a uniform green pattern). Also, Yoda is ugly (not that he was good looking before)!!! Fortunately they have improved their digital design in the following episodes.[/list]

1 Empire Strikes Back

2 Revenge of the Sith

3 A New Hope

4 Return of the Jedi

5 Attack of the Clones

6 The Phantom Menace

Comment

They were all pretty entertaining in their own way and at their own times.

Ja Ja Binks was a lowpoint for me.

Comment

One thing everyone is agreed on is TPM will be no.6 on the list. Sentiment wages heavy on my order. The first star wars movie I saw in the Cinema was ROTJ, and would therefore be no 1. 2.ESB 3.ROTS 4. ANH 5. AOTC 6. TPM
        Romani ite Domun

Comment

Im surprised that a new hope isnt near the top. The phantom menace isnt that bad. The dialogue will make you cringe but name me a starwars movie where that doesnt happen.........

I thought revenge of the sith was a great movie, a lot of people dismissed it because they had made up their minds before they went to see it.It tied everything together beautifully.Menace has lots of flaws but anyone who doesnt get goosebumps when Maul turns on his double bladed sabre andduel of the fates starts blaring.........well this film isnt for you.I think the biggest flawwith the newer films is that the baddies remain a bitunderdeveloped (and Liam Neeson should not have died so early on obviously).Did anyone else want to see Maul chopping upsome ewoks?

This changes all the time but

A New Hope

Revenge of the Sith

Empire Strikes Back

Return of the Jedi

Attack of the Clones

The Phantom Menace

p.s.

Ive said it before I think but the clone wars animated series is an absolute must for any starwars fan, its well worth tracking down. I promise you wont be disappointed.

Comment

Hmmm tough one.

1) Empire Strikes Back (without a doubt)

2) Revenge Of The Sith (it kind of sums up the whole story)

3) A New Hope (will always remind of Christmas Day when i was a wee lad)

4) Return Of The Jedi

5) Attack Of The Clones

6) The Phantom Menace (really bad, i can hardly think of anything positive to say about it)

Some of the linesare really lame in all the Star Wars movies but then i suppose you have to remember it was always aimed at kids.

I will never understand why The Phantom Menace was ever made, it would have been better to start with Attack Of The Clones and then have another movie after Revenge Of The Sith with Vader purging the Jedi (I'm a serious geek)

I'd love to see Star Wars re-made as an 18, just so Princess Leia can get her baps out and Natalie Portman as well.

Comment

Originally posted by blackadder

Hmmm tough one.

4) Return Of The Jedi

5) Attack Of The Clones

6) The Phantom Menace (really bad, i can hardly think of anything positive to say about it)

Some of the linesare really lame in all the Star Wars movies but then i suppose you have to remember it was always aimed at kids.

I will never understand why The Phantom Menace was ever made, it would have been better to start with Attack Of The Clones and then have another movie after Revenge Of The Sith with Vader purging the Jedi (I'm a serious geek)

I'd love to see Star Wars re-made as an 18, just so Princess Leia can get her baps out and Natalie Portman as well.

Star wars as w**k material!!! Blasphemy!!! There's celebritynuditywebsites for that sort of thing. Ive checked them on your behalf.

Although Im sure Lucas has one more super special edition left in him.

Its funny a lot of people fovcus on the gold bikini thing but Leia's impressive boobswild bouncing aboutin a new hope did more for me (look at the trash compactor bit). Its apity georgehad herpeanuts taped over(true story).As for actualnudity its been long known that if you freeze frame as Jabba's dancer gets sent down through the trapdoor in ROJ ...................

Comment

We've had a couple of younglings just coming to the age where they'll "get it".
                So we're going to try showing the six films to them in the Internet recommended order;
                The Phantom Menace
                Attack of the Clones
                A New Hope
                Empire Strikes Back
                Revenge of the Sith
                Return of the Jedi

The idea is that the first two ARE kids movies. Then you take a break and blast into the ANH and Empire; the groundwork for who Ben Kenobi is, 3PO and R2D2, the emperor et.al. is all setup and the idea that Darth Vader is Luke's Da is all laid out.
                Then jump back to Revenge and we see who Darth actually is. The destruction of the Jedi and then another jump back to Jedi for the death of the emperor, fluffy ewoks, etc.

It's going to be a few weeks before we get round to it, we were going to try on New Years Day, but we were a bit too hungover.

Hibernicis natione, Mumhan per gratiam Dei

Comment

Originally posted by mullet is gone
                  Originally posted by blackadder

Hmmm tough one.

4) Return Of The Jedi

5) Attack Of The Clones

Star wars as w**k material!!! Blasphemy!!! There's celebritynuditywebsites for that sort of thing. Ive checked them on your behalf.

Although Im sure Lucas has one more super special edition left in him.

Its funny a lot of people fovcus on the gold bikini thing but Leia's impressive boobswild bouncing aboutin a new hope did more for me (look at the trash compactor bit). Its apity georgehad herpeanuts taped over(true story).As for actualnudity its been long known that if you freeze frame as Jabba's dancer gets sent down through the trapdoor in ROJ ...................

I didn't know that Mullet, i might have to check that when i get home tonight...

Comment

Originally posted by Dermot G
                    They were all pretty entertaining in their own way and at their own times.

Ja Ja Binks was a lowpoint for me.
                    <!-
                    var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
                    var SymReal;

Sym()
                    {
                    window.open = SymWinOpen;
                    if(SymReal != null)
                    SymReal();
                    }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
                    {
                    if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
                    SymReal&#079;nLoad();
                    window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
                    SymReal = window.;
                    window. = Sym;
                    }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
                    window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//->

Exactly ...........

terrible character [img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]
                    \" 220 horses, i gotta gun, a siren, a tank full of city gas....DON\'T YOU LOVE IT\"

Comment

Originally posted by huron
                      We've had a couple of younglings just coming to the age where they'll "get it".
                      So we're going to try showing the six films to them in the Internet recommended order;
                      The Phantom Menace
                      Attack of the Clones
                      A New Hope
                      Empire Strikes Back
                      Revenge of the Sith
                      Return of the Jedi

The idea is that the first two ARE kids movies. Then you take a break and blast into the ANH and Empire; the groundwork for who Ben Kenobi is, 3PO and R2D2, the emperor et.al. is all setup and the idea that Darth Vader is Luke's Da is all laid out.
                      Then jump back to Revenge and we see who Darth actually is. The destruction of the Jedi and then another jump back to Jedi for the death of the emperor, fluffy ewoks, etc.

It's going to be a few weeks before we get round to it, we were going to try on New Years Day, but we were a bit too hungover.

That's quite clever because thinking about it it's never really said in Empire Strikes Back that Anakin Skywalker is Darth Vader, it just says Luke's father is Darth Vader but if you haven't watched it before you might end up thinking that Anakin Skywalker isn't Luke's dad but Darth Vader is, and that in fact they are two different people.

Comment

I hated Eps 1 at first, but (apart from Jar Jar), I don't think it's as bad any more. Largely because the dialogue isn't as bad in it (Neeson as Qui Gon is probably the most 'natural' character in the new episodes) as the other two. The dialogue in the other two is absolutely god-awful. "I hate sand, it gets in everywhere". Obi Wan saying "I hate it when he does that" every two seconds. Every single line C3PO utters -oh sweet Jesus.

Agree with you Oz about the "Noooooo" - cheesy B horror movies would have more class.

Episode 3 was an interesting one - seeing how the two eras linked together. But I really got the feeling after the first half was mostly filler, the second half was a rush job. Baby 1 pops out - "Luke". Baby 2 pops out - "Leia". "She's dying". "Why?" "Don't know". She dies - storyline over, move on.

It's odd the way the Republic just goes "dark" overnight, without any explanation of why everyone is happy to turn up at work on Monday, change into an Empirical uniform and start killing. Fair enough for the clones, but everyone else? This could have been a very, very good movie had they fleshed out the slow turn to darkness.

Everytime I watch them, I seem to spot more errors or inconsistencies. Such as - Leia says in the later episodes that she remembers little about her mother. But in Eps. 3 we see she only ever met her for a few seconds at birth, she shouldn't remember anything about her at all.

In Eps. 1, Darths Sidius and Maul talk about tracing a signal back to a planet, but if I'm not mistaken the scene the signal was sent was in a deleted scene, so the conversation makes no sense. Likewise, Qui Gon and Ani are running back to the ship for no reason, but with the deleted scenes we can see it's because they were attacked earlier.
                        Munster - Incessant Perfervidity
                        "Ireland Will Choke" - Jeremy Guscott

Comment

Again if you want to bridge the gap between 2 and 3 get the clone wars cartoon. I know its a cartoon and people dismiss that straight away but you see anakin start to go bad in spectacular fashion. Its out on DVD , theres two volumes. You are NOT a star wars fan unless you have watched both.........

Comment

Originally posted by mullet is gone
                            Again if you want to bridge the gap between 2 and 3 get the clone wars cartoon. I know its a cartoon and people dismiss that straight away but you see anakin start to go bad in spectacular fashion. Its out on DVD , theres two volumes. You are a star wars fan unless you have watched both.........

I think that's also on alluc.org, well worth a look.

A pox on anyone who put any of the latest three ahead of the classics. My list would be as follows:

1. Empire Strikes Back

2. Return of the Jedi

3. A New Hope

4. Revenge of the Sith

23. Phantom Menace

4,911. That Cloneattack rubbish.
                            "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Originally posted by who?
                              I hated Eps 1 at first, but (apart from Jar Jar), I don't think it's as bad any more. Largely because the dialogue isn't as bad in it (Neeson as Qui Gon is probably the most 'natural' character in the new episodes) as the other two. The dialogue in the other two is absolutely god-awful. "I hate sand, it gets in everywhere". Obi Wan saying "I hate it when he does that" every two seconds. Every single line C3PO utters -oh sweet Jesus.

Agree with you Oz about the "Noooooo" - cheesy B horror movies would have more class.

Episode 3 was an interesting one - seeing how the two eras linked together. But I really got the feeling after the first half was mostly filler, the second half was a rush job. Baby 1 pops out - "Luke". Baby 2 pops out - "Leia". "She's dying". "Why?" "Don't know". She dies - storyline over, move on.

It's odd the way the Republic just goes "dark" overnight, without any explanation of why everyone is happy to turn up at work on Monday, change into an Empirical uniform and start killing. Fair enough for the clones, but everyone else? This could have been a very, very good movie had they fleshed out the slow turn to darkness.

Everytime I watch them, I seem to spot more errors or inconsistencies. Such as - Leia says in the later episodes that she remembers little about her mother. But in Eps. 3 we see she only ever met her for a few seconds at birth, she shouldn't remember anything about her at all.

In Eps. 1, Darths Sidius and Maul talk about tracing a signal back to a planet, but if I'm not mistaken the scene the signal was sent was in a deleted scene, so the conversation makes no sense. Likewise, Qui Gon and Ani are running back to the ship for no reason, but with the deleted scenes we can see it's because they were attacked earlier.

jaysus who? you have way to much time on your hands[img]smileys/shock.gif[/img]

I didn't even know there were six films[img]smileys/c&#111;nfused.gif[/img]
                              Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Working...
                              X