• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

31 Gardaí prosecuted in 23 months

<DIV>Commissioner confirms garda prosecutions</DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>04 January 2007 12:29
    The Garda Commissioner has confirmed that 31 serving gardaí were prosecuted during the 23 months up to the end of last November.
    Seven of the prosecutions were for drink-driving offences and the others were for a range of offences, including theft, assault, harassment, road traffic offences and cannabis possession.
    In a statement issued via the Garda Press Office, the Commissioner, Noel Conroy, said it was not unexpected that some members would transgress the law from time to time in a force of over 14,000 members, but it was unacceptable.
    He said that the detection of transgressions was always followed by prosecution and internal disciplinary proceedings.</DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <a href=\"http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/Ruck_You\" target=\"_blank\">
    http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/default/Ruck%20You.jpg
    </a>

If you’re fat stay in the ruck - Liam Toland

I heard on the news the other day since Random Breathtesting came in 13 Gardai have been bagged.
    The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Tea bagged?[img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

<DIV>
        Originally posted by The Word Is Born
        I heard on the news the other day since Random Breathtesting came in 13 Gardai have been bagged.
        </DIV>
        <DIV>Limericks "robocop" was bagged and charged.</DIV>
        <a href=\"http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/Ruck_You\" target=\"_blank\">
        http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/default/Ruck%20You.jpg
        </a>

If you’re fat stay in the ruck - Liam Toland

Comment

<!-
          var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
          var SymReal;

Sym()
          {
          window.open = SymWinOpen;
          if(SymReal != null)
          SymReal();
          }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
          {
          if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
          SymReal&#079;nLoad();
          window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
          SymReal = window.;
          window. = Sym;
          }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
          window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//->

This was issued to the media by the Garda Press Office today:

Prosecutions against Gardai.

As part of the preparation for the publication of the Garda Annual Report for 2006, the following statistical information has been assembled.

Drink Driving Offences.

Between 1st January, 2005 and 30th November, 2006, seven (7) members of An Garda Siochana were prosecuted for breaches of the drink driving laws. In five (5) prosecutions a conviction was recorded; one case was ‘Struck Out’ and one (1) case remains pending before the Courts.

In all seven (7) cases, disciplinary proceedings were commenced and the current position of each one is as follows:- one (1) member dismissed; fines imposed in two (2) cases (€300 and €400 respectively); four (4) cases pending.

Other offences.

Between 1st January, 2005 and the 30th November, 2006, twenty four (24) members of An Garda Siochana were prosecuted for criminal offences. These offences include Road Traffic Offences (various); Theft (s. 4 Theft Act); Assault (s.2 &amp; s.3 Non Fatal Offences Against the Persons Act); Harassment; Liquor Licensing Offences (1 case) and Possession of Cannabis (1 case).

The current status of each of these twenty four (24) criminal prosecutions are as follows:- convictions were recorded in nine (9) cases; the provisions of the Probation of Offenders Act applied by the Judge in four (4) cases; prosecution dismissed in five (5) cases; one (1) case withdrawn by the DPP and five (5) cases pending.

In all of these twenty four (24) prosecutions, disciplinary proceedings were commenced and the current status of these investigations are as follows:- Four (4) dismissals; two (2) dismissal pending; one (1) medical discharge; one (1) member deceased prior to final determination of proceedings; three (3) resignations; one (1) retirement; four (4) cases fines imposed; five (5) cases pending and three (3) discontinued.
          "This was the performance Ireland had been threatening all championship but had only managed to produce in fits and starts. Defeats at the hands of France and Wales had put paid to their title aspirations, never mind a Grand Slam, but yesterday’s emphatic 24-8 win shows that this is a team moving in the right direction."

The Irish Times after Ireland beat England at Lansdowne Road on 19/03/11

Comment

Originally posted by Ruck
            <div>
            I heard on the news the
            other day since Random Breathtesting came in 13 Gardai have been
            bagged.
            </div>
            <div>Limericks "robocop" was bagged and charged.</div>

Push bike for Robocop? [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Dermot G
              Tea bagged?[img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

Oh, and I'm the pervert? [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

I say Gardai breaking the law should get their sentence automatically doubled, because of the hubris. I'm sure most of them are wonderful people (etc. - I'm obliged in the interests of fairness to put that in, even if I've never known it to be true) buta lot of them are, frankly, bigoted, narrow-minded, nasty bits of work.

And the process of erosion starts fast once they're in Templemore. Met a previously lovely young chap overChristmas, who is now a trainee copper (third generation) and announced that he was now quite happy to drive home with a few pints on him, because he reckoned he'd get away with it no problem. [img]smileys/mad.gif[/img]
              For you stole Trevelyan\'s watch, So the young might see....oh, never mind....

Comment

Up to 7 to lose their jobs. Soundsa bit rough.

"Member deceased prior to final determination of proceedings" has a sinister ring to it if you choose to read it that way.
                The early bird catches the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

Met a fella over Christmas who is just finished in Templemore. Never the life and soul of the party anyway, but whatever bit of fun he had in him is most definitely gone. He announced to the pub that he had 2 glasses of wine with his dinner, was going to have a bottle of Miller and then sat into his car to head down to the next village to meet his buddies for a session. Then drove home after that. Fine example in fairness.

Also heard of two well knownsportsmen who are guards who are up on physical assault and sexual assault charges. Won't name names for obvious reasons. Big fish in a very small pond.
                  Murty\'s gonna get ya

Comment

By each other[img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I am somewhat ambivalent about this. Why should Gardai be penalised for being Gardai (eg by automatically doubling their sentences)? The "good example" doesn't wash - so should all doctors who transgress also be double-punished - after all, these guys should be shining examples to us all, they hold our lives in their hands. Or teachers - they're supposed to be inculcating good bahviour re adherence to law in our kids etc etc

Gardai need to be dealt with fairly by the forces of law &amp; order - neither favoured nor victimised. Same as every other profession. And internal disciplinary proceeedings should be private. Again, fair, but private

Comment

I think the reason I would feel comfortable asking for additional penalties for police is not necessarily because they're supposed to give a "good example" - everyone's human and fallible - but because (obviously I can only refer to the ones I know here) many of them appear to believe their job guarantees them protection from prosecution. In that, they feel are above the law because in some sense "they are the law".
                        For you stole Trevelyan\'s watch, So the young might see....oh, never mind....

Comment

Originally posted by Ruck
                          <DIV>
                          </DIV>
                          <DIV>Limericks "robocop" was bagged and charged.</DIV>

There goes the chief money maker for Hensy St gone. No new cars for them for a while[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]
                          Is it only a game?
                          And its Thomond Park NOT Thomond

Comment

What really annoys me about the Gardai is while they are expected to uphold the driving laws, many of them quite openly flaunt them. Hand held mobile phone usage being a very big case in point. I have seen at least 20 occurrances around the country of Gardai using hand held mobiles while driving patrol cars since the ban came in.

That and shooting fish in a barrel, like in the 60km zone of theLimerick boundEnnis roaddual carraigeway at Clondrinagh again this morning....

That and having only one headlight or tail light working on patrol cars....

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Guinness

Up to 7 to lose their jobs. Soundsa bit rough.

Why ? They broke the laws of the land that they were charged with upholding as their job.

Comment

Working...
                              X