PPP Roads programme

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PPP Roads programme

Seems that the PPP Roads programme is working well. Not. Mind as Cullen is involved it's no suprise.

Thousands avoiding Fermoy by-pass

04 January 2007 11:55
    Thousands of motorists are refusing to pay toll charges on a new motorway that has been built in north Cork at a cost of €300 million.

Martin Cullen, Minister for Transport, promised that 17,000 vehicles per day would be taken off the streets of Fermoy, Rathcormac and Watergrasshill when he opened the motorway last October.

However, RTÉ News has learned that only 11,000 motorists per day are using the 33-kilometre motorway, while thousands of others are dodging the toll.

Mr Cullen had proclaimed that one of the country's worst traffic bottle-necks had been removed.

Watergrasshill was bypassed three years previously and that by-pass was incorporated into the new M8. But usage of the 33-kilometre motorway has been disappointing since then.

Direct Route, which operates the toll road, has admitted that only 11,000 vehicles per day are using it.

An action committee in Watergrasshill estimates that traffic through the village has actually increased since the by-pass opened by more than 6,000 vehicles per day, including around 1,100 trucks.

The Irish Road Haulage Association has said it has advised its members not to use the toll road because it is too expensive.

The association is seeking a 50c discount for high volume use, on top of a 50c discount, which truckers already get for using electronic tolling.

But the operator says it cannot concede this and so the traffic congestion continues.

Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

No need for toll roads.

Anyone any idea how much the motorist pays in car and care related taxes annually?

Comment

Way to much. Agree that there should not be toll roads. Have been on the Fermoy bypass twice now makes a big difference as Fermoy had really turned into a bottle neck. Also with Mitchelstown also by passed things are looking up.
      Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Same happens in Spain, I've often been on the A37 from Alicante to Cartegena with maybe 2 other cars for company. Meanwhile the N332 (single lane) is a complete bottleneck past Torreveija because that is where the only 2 tolls are (to catch the tourist predominantly), so no one will use it.

More Cullen ineptitude.

Comment

The figure is over €5,000,000,000 - That's €5+ Billion p.a.[img]smileys/evil.gif[/img]

It's simply staggering and the deal we get with the roads as a result represents piss poor value.

Comment

How is it"more Cullen ineptitude"?
            The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

It seems to happen in France as well. I travel one particular route weekly and while the autoroute to the destination is close to deserted the route national is always heaving with artics.

Comment

Sometimes it's well worth the trouble to pay a toll charge.

I've used the M6 toll road in the UK several times and it's great.

Comment

Originally posted by The Word Is Born
                  How is it"more Cullen ineptitude"?

Because he got plenty of warnings that this could happen but having a neck like Jockey's wotsits, he did nothing to try and resolvle it. We have a Pension Reserve that would be ideally suited to this kind of investment but the likes of Cullen and the FF/PD gov wouldn't want that as they wouldn't be able to give lucrative contracts to their cronies and backers.

Comment

<DIV>So if the pension fund was used to construct the Fermoy Bypass then people would gladly pay for the toll?</DIV>
                    <DIV></DIV>
                    <DIV>Cullen has only been in Transport since 2004 I would imgaine that the contract signed with Direct Route would have been before his time. What could he have done? Cancel the contract with Dick Cheney's buddies? If it wasn't for the private sector the Fermoy Bypass would be yet another "that job is expected to start in yada yada ya..."</DIV>

Comment

Fair point but just because the current jobsworth didn't do the deal in question doesn't exxonerate him from the fallout.

Comment

theres enough money in this country to build proper roads throughout the country without the need for margaret thatcher style funding-ive paid my road tax my nct and en all and i am getting bad value for money.

good luck to the people not using the bypass-thats the only way things will change

If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.

Comment

You didn't (legally) pay VRT. 30% on top of the VAT inclusive price!! [img]smileys/evil.gif[/img]

Comment

<DIV>
                            Originally posted by Dermot G
                            Fair point but just because the current jobsworth didn't do the deal in question doesn't exxonerate him from the fallout.
                            </DIV>
                            <DIV></DIV>
                            <DIV>Fallout? Just because some people don't want to pay for a toll doesn't make it a national scandal. The fact of the matter is the road was built in record time at no cost to the state. My original question still stands would people be any more likely to pay for a toll than if the National Treasury Management Board had financed the deal?</DIV>
                            <DIV></DIV>
                            <DIV>Toll roads do have a part to play in the national infrastructure. My objectionsare to roads like the M50 toll bridge (where people have no option), toll roads like the M50 reverting back to the State after they have been "paid" for and charging Joe Schmo for the priviledge, and or considering tolling roads that have been built with piblic money.</DIV>
                            <DIV></DIV>
                            <DIV>BTW I'm no fan of Cullen at all, he should have gone when he pissed €50m into the wind.</DIV>
                            <DIV></DIV>
                            <DIV>EDIT: The State also make money on these toll operations through VAT and "per diem".</DIV>

Comment

If we genuinely want a system of fair road pricing then VRT (which has to be abolished by 2010 under EU rules) and road tax should be scrapped in favour of a 2c hike on the price of petrol. That way you only "pay" for the road you use.

Comment

Working...
                              X