• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a second Hand Car

I'm off to buy a second hand car for the first time. I'm looking at
    buying from a dealer, whats the form, is there serious haggling
    involved or what?
    Seven social sins: politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice

with a cash buy you should be getting at least 1000 off the asking price - card dealer mate swears buy this and i have found it true. also use the line that you have seen another car in such and such a garage - i got a very good discount that way one time.

some dealers are aa lot better than others, get opinions from your buddies - carzone.ie is a great site in seeing what is available( you prob know that already !)

Comment

What part of the country?

I was in a dealership yesterday and things a fairly quiet all round in the carf trade, so you might have room for haggling.

Go in prepared with prices from other dealers.

Check the dealers website before you go in to make sure the price is the same.
      Is it only a game?
      And its Thomond Park NOT Thomond

Comment

Cheers Sean and Davey, looking in Dublin.
        Seven social sins: politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice

Comment

Originally posted by scotscor
          Cheers Sean and Davey, looking in Dublin.
          1. Check they are members with SIMI. They can get involved for you if you have problems.
          2. Check maunfacturers warranty and what warranty the dealer is prepared to give if it's outside Manu. warranty.
          3. sort your own finance. They will take you to cleaners with there own finance company.
          4. ask the right questions. i.e has it ever been crashed?
          5. a good site where you can look out for things to know about models is www.honestjohn.co.uk you can 'go car by car'. They will show what's good and bad and recall issues etc.
          6. for cash: expect 1000-1500 less the asking price. (the last thing the dealers need now is more trade-ins!)

Comment

if you have a specific car in mind you should have a look at www.honestjohn.co.uksite gives a fairly good run down on car also auto express reader reviews are handy

Comment

You won't get €1000 off a €3000 car![img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Go for 10% instead.

Comment

Scotscor take a sconce at www.whatcar.co.uk they do very good reviews on the best used cars etc..

Other than that I would say don't trust the b*****d dealers as far as you can throw them, always get the car checked out by a qualified pro beforehand (get the AA to do it). All dealers are the scum of the earth, no matter how bright their signs are or how respectable they seem to be. Underneath it all they all wear pink panties and they'd turn you over just like that and ride you with a sex toy.

Trust nobody.

In terms of haggling tell them if they don't give you a grand off the price you'll report them to the guards and SIMI for selling a stolen car with a broken axel to your mate last year.

Frank the Tank is not coming back. OK? That part of me is over, water under the bridge.

Comment

The Honest John site also has a comprehensive guide to checking a car out, which will help you to spot any lemons before you shell out for the likes of an AA check. Check under "How To Buy & Sell Cars". I've used it before and it definitely saved me from buying two cars that had been in accidents even though the owners said they hadn't.
                  Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Watch out for ads that are too good to be true, advertised in mags or inet, owner leaving to go abroad etc, then asking for payment via "ebay" or western union, big scam at the moment, you'll see nothing but a hole in your bank account.

Avoid anything that's come in from the north or border counties, especially any derv.

Think about importing from UK yourself, especially with exchange rate, much better for higher end cars also, easier to check back on previous owners, do this before 1st July to avoid new tax rates.

Comment

Originally posted by RobbieG
                      Think about importing from UK yourself, especially with exchange rate, much better for higher end cars also, easier to check back on previous owners, do this before 1st July to avoid new tax rates.

This is a good idea if you know exactly what you are after as you can save a lot of money even after the re-registration costs but very few if any dealers here will give any discount for cash.

http://www.allapprovedcars.com/?utm_...otrader&ut m_medium=redirect&utm_campaign=Homepage%2BAuto matic%2BRe direct

This link is for dealers and private sales - better chance of haggling with a private sale but as mentioned above I would have someone who knows about cars with you before you buy.

If you do end up in England to buy then this site will give you a reasonable idea of what to expect to paywhether private/sh dealer/main dealer etc.

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/used-prices/
                      Failure lies not in falling down, Failure lies in not getting up.

If voting could really change things it would be illegal.

Comment

What kind of car are you after Scotty?

Comment

a blue one???

No, a 2005 Toyota Avensis - 1.6 Litre, just a nice reliable family car (I believe)- it happens to all of us at some stage.

Comment

My next door neighbour is a taxi driver and was looking for an Avensis of that age. Eventually gave up and bought something else as he said sellers both private and dealers were looking for way too much money for one.

Comment

The back compounds in all dealers are stacked up with 2nd hands and they will shift them at any price, especially for cash. Be strong, be patient.
                              Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined. &nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

Working...
                              X