Travel chaos!!!!Good luck

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel chaos!!!!Good luck

<DIV =line>Air travel fog ordeal continues </DIV>Dense fog is continuing to cause misery for Christmas holiday travellers at Heathrow and other UK airports.

Hundreds of domestic flights and some international flights are grounded.

Heathrow has been the worst hit, with 40,000 people affected, and services from Gatwick, Manchester and Cardiff have also been disrupted.

Passengers said they were angry about a lack of information. Fog is forecast on Friday and BA says all domestic flights to and from Heathrow will be cancelled.
    <DIV =bo>

About 350 flights out of Heathrow have been cancelled on Thursday, a 40% reduction.

</DIV>
    <DIV =i>
    <TABLE>
    <T>
    <TR>
    <TD width=5></TD>
    <TD =fact>
    <DIV =sih>BA CANCELLATIONS </DIV><!-Smva->British Airways customers should contact 0800 727 800 or check the www.britishairways.com website to see if their flight is still operating <!-Emva-><!-So->
    <!-Eo-><!-Smiiib-></TD></TR></T></TABLE></DIV>
    <DIV =bo>

Napil Berry, 37, from Nottingham, said he had missed his sister's wedding in Stockholm.

Sitting outside the terminal concourse, he said: "I told my sister I'm not going to make it. She said: 'Try to come in time for Christmas.'

"I'm not angry with BA about it but I am angry and upset I missed my sister's wedding."

The BBC's Lucy Rodgers in Heathrow said that by 1200 GMT the scene in Terminal One seemed to be calming after the morning chaos.

But in the marquee erected outside the terminal, people were still taking offers of blankets, food and warm drinks as they contemplated a long wait ahead.

The disruption will continue on Friday, with British Airways announcing it would be operating no domestic flights in and out of Heathrow and a reduced short-haul schedule because of the fog.

About 100 flights in total have already been cancelled.

Low visibility

All airlines' flights from Coventry and some from Cardiff have been cancelled and some BA flights from Scotland. Norwich has diverted flights.

</DIV>
    <DIV =i>
    <TABLE>
    <T>
    <TR>
    <TD width=5></TD>
    <TD =fact>
    <DIV =sih>UK AIRPORT FLIGHT CANCELLATIONS </DIV><!-Smva->
    <DIV =bull>Heathrow 350 estimated </DIV>
    <DIV =bull>Gatwick 16 </DIV>
    <DIV =bull>Manchester 17 </DIV>
    <DIV =bull>Scottish airports 30 </DIV><!-Emva-><!-So->
    <DIV =bo>

BA said 184 flights, including European short-haul and domestic, had been cancelled at Heathrow, Gatwick, Manchester Airport and Cardiff.

The airline said low visibility had caused air traffic control to place restrictions on flights landing and taking off.

Sean Tipton, from ABTA, told the BBC the airline would make a "value judgement" that it is less inconvenient to fly a day later to Glasgow than totally miss a holiday to Spain.

"The main issue for the airports and the airlines is to ensure that everybody gets away but in a situation like this you just have to make the best of a bad job unfortunately."

</DIV>
    <DIV =i>
    <TABLE>
    <T>
    <TR>
    <TD width=5></TD>
    <TD =fact>
    <DIV =sih>HAVE YOUR SAY </DIV><!-Smva->It's frustrating for passengers, but the airlines are doing this for a reason
    <!-Emva-><!-Smva->Pier Pistocchi, Haywards Heath <!-Emva-><!-So->
    <DIV =bo>

Many passengers on cancelled flights are choosing rail and a spokesman for the train operators said they were coping with the extra passengers.

The fog also caused delays for ferries docking at Pembroke port - with 160 passengers on Irish Ferries' Isle of Inishmore coming in 10 hours late on Wednesday.

BBC weatherman Darren Bett said "right until Christmas and even beyond there's the risk of fog."

</DIV>
    <DIV =i>
    <TABLE>
    <T>
    <TR>
    <TD width=5></TD>
    <TD =fact>
    <DIV =sih>WHY FOG AFFECTS FLIGHTS </DIV><!-Smva->
    <DIV =bull>Spacing in air above Heathrow increased between planes from thre
    \"As she lay there dozing next to me, one voice inside my head kept saying, \'Relax, you\'re not the first doctor to sleep with one of his patients\', but the another kept reminding me, \' you are a veterinarian!\'\"

I was thinking about this earlier.

Reminded me of Home Alone.

I feel sorry for anyone who can't get home in time to be with their families and loved ones.

Comment

What's traffic like in Limerick at the moment. Heading for Cork after work.
      Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Seems OK city centre, was dead quiet this morning,

but reckon Dock road will be the usual tailback

Comment

Sorry for anyone stuck at an airport waiting, they're inhospitable places at the best of times.

Amazingly, Bristol Aiport, which is notorious for shutting up shop at
          the first hint of mistiness, is working normally in this fog.
          Hope Not Hate

Comment

Was in Brussels Tuesday , delayed 5 hours waiting to get to Manchester , then later on got delayed in Manchester missed connection home had to stay overnight thenwas to fly to Shannon from London yesterday @ 10.10am , finally left at 2.00pm, , Heathrow was as bad as i have seen in a long time . the que for Aerlingus at 7am was unreal,,,,,,

Good luck to anyone traveling home in the next few days , keep the moto that itwill be all worth it in the end ..

Comment

Thank Christ flying home From Bristol Saturday morning

Comment

Really feel for those trying to get home

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud
                  What's traffic like in Limerick at the moment. Heading for Cork after work.

Had to spend a few hours rushing around Limerick 2day. V. busy city centre (1 to 2:30), some of the shopping centres were lunatic, dock road not too bad then. Good weather must have helped, but why do we get all the lunatics in town together at this time?

BTW, did you get the jersey sorted?

Comment

Yup sourced one in Dublin[img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]
                    Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

I got a cab home last night. Hic.

It was a Lexus LS400. Cracking car. Very comfortable [img]smileys/thumb-up.gif[/img]

Comment

<DIV>Anyone that want's to travel at this time of the year needs their head read. </DIV>
                        <DIV></DIV>
                        <DIV></DIV>
                        The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Getting Train home tomorrow!!! cant wait!!!

Comment

I'd like to wish all those travelling a safe journey home and for f**ks sake be careful on the roads at this time of year. Have a good Christmas and New Year, eat loads, get fat, drink like mad andfight with your family[img]smileys/thumb-up.gif[/img]

Frank the Tank is not coming back. OK? That part of me is over, water under the bridge.

Comment

Harry Jr. to be born in Dublin![img]smileys/shock.gif[/img]

What is the world coming to?

Comment

Working...
                              X