X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LR redevelopment hearing begin

Lansdowne Road redevelopment hearing begins

11 December 2006 11:04
    The Chief Executive of the IRFU, Philip Brown has said he hopes the plans for the redevelopment of lands at Lansdowne Road will be passed by An Bord Pleanála.

Mr Brown was speaking at the opening of a hearing on the €365m project in Dublin this morning.

33 residents groups and individuals have objected to the proposal for a 50,000 all-seater stadium.

The meeting, which is expected to last a week, is being chaired by senior inspector Brendan Wyse.

FAI chief executive John Delaney also attended the oral hearing at the Gresham Hotel this morning.

Paul Walsh, chair of the Pembroke Residents' Association, said he wanted the proposal deferred until a local area plan had been completed in April of next year.

He said residents had major concerns over the proposed height of the stadium and traffic implications.

Other concerns are the demolition of a house on Shelbourne Road, flooding consequences and loss of part of the Dodder walkway.

While both the FAI and IRFU will contribute to the financing, nearly €200m is to come from the Government.

The plan has already been passed by Dublin City Council but the decision has now been appealed to An Bord Pleanála.
    Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

At theGresham Hotel this morning, the IRFU attended a publichearing into the planning application for Lansdowne Road redevelopment. One local resident apparently suggested that Irish rugby would be better served by having a National Rugby stadium built in ............. Limerick !

Comment

I still don't get it.

€365m gets a nice shiny new stadium, with no increase in capacity.

That site must be worth €1billion or close to it.

With the money the could have built a 100,000 capacity place somewhere outside central Dublin, with transport links too.

Comment

Planning row over stadium's future

A PLANNING row over the future of Lansdowne Road kicked off yesterday.

Two teams - for and against the development - lined out against each other in a heated contest over the redevelopment of the grounds.

Corporate boxes at the new stadium will only benefit bankers entertaining their clients and "dollybirds in their finest" who are clueless about rugby. [img]smileys/thumb-up.gif[/img][img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Chairman of the Pembroke Road Association, Paul Walsh, claimed yesterday there was "no rush" to provide a new facility for soccer and rugby.

It was also claimed that residents' human rights would be breached during the redevelopment

Outlining its objection, Mr Walsh said the application to redevelop was premature, as the city council was drafting a plan for the Ballsbridge area and the stadium was not included.

Yesterday, An Bord Pleanala opened a week-long oral hearing into the €365m proposed redevelopment of the country's oldest sporting venue.

Paul Melia

Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud

Planning row over stadium's future

A PLANNING row over the future of Lansdowne Road kicked off yesterday.

Two teams - for and against the development - lined out against each other in a heated contest over the redevelopment of the grounds.

Corporate boxes at the new stadium will only benefit bankers entertaining their clients and "dollybirds in their finest" who are clueless about rugby. [img]smileys/thumb-up.gif[/img][img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Chairman of the Pembroke Road Association, Paul Walsh, claimed yesterday there was "no rush" to provide a new facility for soccer and rugby.

It was also @@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;">claimed that residents' human rights would be breached during the redevelopment@@@@/SPAN>

Outlining its objection, Mr Walsh said the application to redevelop was premature, as the city council was drafting a plan for the Ballsbridge area and the stadium was not included.

Yesterday, An Bord Pleanala opened a week-long oral hearing into the €365m proposed redevelopment of the country's oldest sporting venue.

Paul Melia

Now that's just classic stuff in fairness...

Comment

Originally posted by Dermot G
            I still don't get it.

€365m gets a nice shiny new stadium, with no increase in capacity.

That site must be worth €1billion or close to it.

With the money the could have built a 100,000 capacity place somewhere outside central Dublin, with transport links too.
            There is an increase DG - of 2000 ! But its fully seated.

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud

The meeting, which is expected to last a week, is being chaired by senior inspector Brendan Wyse.

Hope they have a good supply of prawn sangers so.

Comment

Corporate boxes 'for dollybirds and prawn sandwich brigade'

CORPORATE boxes at the redeveloped Lansdowne Road stadium will only benefit bankers entertaining their clients and "dollybirds in their finest" who are clueless about rugby.

Chairman of the Pembroke Road Association, Paul Walsh, told a planning hearing yesterday that the new stadium would benefit the "prawn sandwich brigade" and that there was "no rush" to provide a new facility for soccer and rugby.

It was also claimed that residents' human rights would be breached during the redevelopment

Outlining its objection, Mr Walsh said the application to redevelop was premature, as the city council was in the middle of drafting a masterplan for the Ballsbridge area and the stadium was not included.

He said that in the current facility, there were 1,800 premium seats from a capacity of 40,000, and that in the revamped stadium there would be 8,000.

Dollybirds

The 64 corporate boxes would benefit bankers and "dollybirds in their finest who haven't a clue what a rugby ball is".

Yesterday An Bord Pleanala opened a week-long oral hearing into the €365m proposed redevelopment of the country's oldest sporting venue.

The home of the Irish rugby team since 1878, soccer internationals have been played there since the 1980s and the Lansdowne Road Stadium Development Company Ltd (LRSDCL) wants to redevelop the site by 2010. Planning permission has already been received from Dublin City Council. Some 33 groups and individuals are objecting to the proposal. Yesterday, a brief outline of the proposed development was given by LRSDCL which said an all-seater 50,000 capacity venue was planned, of which the Government would pay €191m.

There will be four tiers of seating - apart from at the north end which will have just one - and the ground will include better player and media facilities as well as a 200-space underground car park.

The stadium will be clad in a polycarbonate and glass cover which will reflect and allow light into the stadium, with the sale of corporate boxes used to part-finance construction.

But many local groups say the stadium will be transformed from a 30-metre high building to one of 50m - just short of the height of Liberty Hall.

Conall Hamill, from the Shelbourne Road Residents Association, told the hearing yesterday that Ballsbridge would be transformed over the coming years, and that it was vital the stadium was included in the local area plan.

"There's a very real possibility the planning authorities could be left with a balls-up in Ballsbridge," he said. It was "quite unbelieveable" that the height of the stadium would increase by 50pc, when the capacity would only increase by 11,000.

Croke Park holds 80,000 people, he said, but is just 35m tall. Consideration should be given to sinking the building so that it was less obtrusive.

Among the concerns of residents are:

* Demolition of the existing stadium and building works will have a negative impact on homes, and could cause structural damage.

* Residents will have to cope with more noise, while many homes will lose light and be overshadowed.

* The zoning of the area does not allow for commercial activities, but it is proposed to host corporate events at the redeveloped stadium.

* There are no "clear limits" on the number of sporting events to be held every year.

* The "overburdened road system" would result in traffic chaos, and there would be an increased amount of litter.

* A Victorian building - 70 Shelbourne Road - will be demolished as part of the plans, although permission had been refused in the past to make alterations as it would injure the "visual amenity" of the area.

Cepta Hopkins from the O'Connell Gardens Boundary group said residents' human rights were being breached addin

Comment

I'd love corporate boxes to take away those type of people from being near me!
                  Kiva - Loans That Change Lives

Comment

I genuinely hope this application gets thrown out. Build a proper stadium elsewhere, whats wrong with the pheonix park or the docklands.

Comment

I've been down at this for the past couple of days, it's pretty interesting to dip in and out of. The latest is that the residents groups and other appellants will finish making their submissions today, and tomorrow morning the applicant (the Lansdowne Road Stadium Development Company) will start making its case. Then the City Council will have their say, followed by cross-questioning of all the parties.

Comment

Is there going to be massive conferencing facilities in it? I'm just trying to get my head around why it is to be so big and yet only have a few thousand increase in capacity. I know Croker is doing quite well from conferences alone at the moment.
                        Grandpa Simpson: The last time the meteors came, we thought the sky was on fire. Naturally, we blamed the Irish. We hanged more \'n a few.

Comment

It says above that it'll be a four tier stadium. Now I presume one of those tiers willbe the 8,000 corporate tier but a four tier 50,000 stadium seems a bit odd to me. It sounds as if they'll be making it a steep as fu*k. Maybe that's why it'll be so tall, so it doen't lean back to far over the surrounding houses and affect the dart so much?? I don't know really
                          http://www.rebelwaves.com

Comment

Originally posted by Chief
                            Is there going to be massive conferencing facilities in it? I'm just trying to get my head around why it is to be so big and yet only have a few thousand increase in capacity. I know Croker is doing quite well from conferences alone at the moment.
                            Yes, as well as the boxes there are meeting rooms and banqueting facilities and what have you. I think there's a 600-seater restaurant and a 400-seater restaurant.

Comment

Originally posted by DonL
                              It says above that it'll be a four tier stadium. Now I presume one of those tiers willbe the 8,000 corporate tier but a four tier 50,000 stadium seems a bit odd to me. It sounds as if they'll be making it a steep as fu*k. Maybe that's why it'll be so tall, so it doen't lean back to far over the surrounding houses and affect the dart so much?? I don't know really
                              Yes, one of the tiers is the "premium" tier with corporate boxes. The other three tiers are "general admission", although one of them (the middle one) is pretty small. It will certainly be steep - if you're on the top tier it will be like watching table football.

Comment

Working...
                              X