X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waste of Money

Foreign players are holding back the development of young Irish
    players, are detrimental to the national game in the long term and
    ultimately a waste of money. Discuss.(60 marks)

i think you would be better posting that in leinsterfans.................
    He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

I think itsa question of balance. Bringing in a guy who is only interested in making a tidy pay packet and is blocking young prospects coming through is a disaster. Its very easy for a coach who is being judged on current results to take the short term view and slot in foreign guys who he thinks can do a job rather than giving any of the academy players a chance.

On the other hand bringing in a guy like Jim Williams who has the talent but also the desire and knowledge to impart to other players is very helpful.We have been very lucky in that the likes of Langford, Holland,Mullinsetc have been good for us both on and off the pitch.I think they have definitely helped in the transition frombeing part time to full time professionalism.

None of us want to see a team with 15 foreigners starting every week. Its great that youngpeople growing up in the province can aspire to playing on the team they support growing up.
      My computer thinks I'm gay
      What's the difference anyway
      When all the people do all day
      Is stare into a phone

Comment

Exactly. What did Langford, Williams, Mullins, Payne, Halstead etc..etc.. ever do for us.
        Munster - Incessant Perfervidity
        "Ireland Will Choke" - Jeremy Guscott

Comment

The vast majority of the team we won last May with was Irish. Only Halstead wasn't qualified to play.
          Kiva - Loans That Change Lives

Comment

Munster and Ulster are by far the best at developing players through the system. the foreigners have by and large helped the younger players and added something to team performance.

Comment

Not much to discuss. A few quality operatorsto fill gaps in the squadand bring young localtalent through: good. A team full of foreigners only in it for the money: bad.

Sometimes we make a bad signing and they don't work out but the ones that do more than make up for them. We would not have won the HEC without Payne, Halstead and Williams.

I notice the Agen pack facing Leinster this weekend only has one Frenchie in it.[img]smileys/shock.gif[/img] No wonder they're struggling to match the ABs these days.

Comment

Sounds like a journo doing a tagline "general opinion of Irish rugby supporters on foreign players is...."
                To see the light one must first realise it is dark

Comment

If the foreigner is quality (i.e. Harrison, Steinmetz, Williams, Halstead, Contemponi) then i think they benefit the local game. Clearly there are issues currently about Leinster having an Argentinian out half when there are few Irish out halfs around but the talent just isn't there.

Speaking from an Ulster perspective, i know from reading another thread some of you guys have it in for Harrison but he has been a huge signing for Ulster and has helped bring on the liks of Neil and Rory Best as well as Ferris and we're now seeing Wilson get back to the level he should be at. Looking from the outside i bet Williams was instrumental in the development of Leamy with you guys. With any luck Contemponi will help develop an out half down in Dublin.

Comment

Originally posted by blackadder

With any luck Contemponi will help develop an out half down in Dublin.

[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img][img]smileys/lol.gif[/img][img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

My computer thinks I'm gay
                    What's the difference anyway
                    When all the people do all day
                    Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by blackadder

If the foreigner is quality (i.e. Harrison, Steinmetz, Williams, Halstead, Contemponi) then i think they benefit the local game. Clearly there are issues currently about Leinster having an Argentinian out half when there are few Irish out halfs around but the talent just isn't there.

Speaking from an Ulster perspective, i know from reading another thread some of you guys have it in for Harrison but he has been a huge signing for Ulster and has helped bring on the liks of Neil and Rory Best as well as Ferris and we're now seeing Wilson get back to the level he should be at. Looking from the outside i bet Williams was instrumental in the development of Leamy with you guys. With any luck Contemponi will help develop an out half down in Dublin.

I hear he's been a big influence on Warner. [img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I can understand Ulster and Munsterbringing in 1 or 2 foreigners with the exception of 1 or 2 bad signings (Chris Wyatt and Gaffney made about 10 bad signings!).

Leinster andConnacht are a different story. Leinsterare flooded with Aussies (why did they get Micheal Beirne ??)but Connacht are by far the worst. They are signing players when there are betterplayers playing in theAIB league.

Comment

Originally posted by joeglum
                          Foreign players are holding back the development of young Irish

players, are detrimental to the national game in the long term and

ultimately a waste of money. Discuss.(60 marks)
                          It depends, Irish Rugby isn't suffering because the IRFU has huge influence in player signings and medicore foriegn players haven't really been signed, you can argue about Wyatt but her is an experienced stopgap.

I see only positives in the likes of CC. When he's played its been well and think of the impact having an alltime legend next to them has on Barry Murphy and younger players.

Personally I think signing the great man was vital as it laid down a marker that Munster were serious about developing at the very highest level of European Rugby

Comment

Nobody has a problem with marquee foreign players who add to the respective teams. Most of these examples have already been illustrated. However something must be done to halt the flow of journeymen who are only interested in a pay check. The PAG should turn their attention away from vetoing marquee signings and instead look to halt the signing of these journeymen. I totally disagree that there aren't alternatives in place. For example, instead of the plodding Owen Finegan, Leinster could promote Devin Toner. Rather than all the top three tightheads at Leinster being foreigners, they should be giving Rob Sweeney a go (in the Magners League) from time to time. Chris Wyatt is taking Donnacha Ryan's place needlessly. In the case of 50:50 calls (like Leinster have with Jowitt/Keogh, Ulster have with Cunningham/Bartholomeusz and Munster have with Pucciariello/Hurley) it should always be the Irish player who gets the nod.

Comment

I'd agree with you just although I think Munster need a scrummager from anywhere. There was something about Freddie coaching that but it doesn't seem to have had that much impact.

Comment

Working...
                              X