New Scrum Law Approved

http://www.irishrugby.ie/newspage/85411.html

<TABLE>
    <T>
    <TR>
    <TD =promoline align=middle>New Scrum Law Approved</TD></TR>
    <TR vAlign=top>
    <TD =Main>
    <DIV style="TEXT-ALIGN: center">@@@@SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif">

@@@@SPAN style="FONT-STYLE: italic">@@@@SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif">...A scrum during Ireland's recent win over the Pacific Islanders at Lansdowne Road...

@@@@/SPAN>@@@@/SPAN>@@@@/SPAN>
    <DIV style="TEXT-ALIGN: left">@@@@SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">@@@@SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif">The International Rugby Board has today approved a change to the law that governs the scrum. The new law, which will exist for all levels of the game, comes into effect on January 1, 2007.

@@@@/SPAN>@@@@/SPAN>@@@@SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif">The law change will see the implementation of a four stage @@@@SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">"crouch, touch, pause, engage" sequence@@@@/SPAN> for the initial scrum engagement.
    @@@@/SPAN>@@@@SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">@@@@SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif">
    @@@@/SPAN>@@@@/SPAN>@@@@SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif">This follows a review of the scrum by the @@@@SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">IRB Rugby Committee@@@@/SPAN> and its Law Project Group, following recommendations made by the IRB's Medical Committee.

Rewrite law 20.1(h) as

@@@@SPAN style="FONT-STYLE: italic">The referee will call "crouch" then "touch". The front rows crouch and using their outside arm each prop touches the point of the opposing prop's outside shoulder. The props then withdraw their arms. The referee will then call "pause". Following a pause the referee will then call "engage". The front rows may then engage. The "engage" is not a command but an indication that the front rows may come together when ready.

@@@@/SPAN>@@@@SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; TEXT-DECORATI&#079;N: underline">Infringements:

@@@@/SPAN>@@@@SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">@@@@SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Law 20.1 (g)

@@@@/SPAN>@@@@/SPAN>Each player's head and shoulders are no lower than the hips. @@@@SPAN style="FONT-STYLE: italic">Penalty: free kick@@@@/SPAN>
    @@@@SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">@@@@SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">
    Law 20.1 (h)

@@@@/SPAN>@@@@/SPAN>The referee will call "crouch". @@@@SPAN style="FONT-STYLE: italic">Penalty: free kick@@@@/SPAN>
    Law 20.1 (h)

@@@@/SPAN>@@@@/SPAN>The front rows crouch and using their outside arm each prop touches the point of the opposing prop's shoulder. @@@@SPAN style="FONT-STYLE: italic">Penalty: free kick@@@@/SPAN>
    Law 20.1 (h)

@@@@/SPAN>@@@@/SPAN>The front rows crouch and using their outside arm each prop touches the point of the opposing prop's shoulder. The props then withdraw their arms. @@@@SPAN style="FONT-STYLE: italic">Penalty: free kick@@@@/SPAN>
    Law 20.1 (h)

@@@@/SPAN>@@@@/SPAN>The referee will then call "pause". Following a pause the referee will then call "engage". @@@@SPAN style="FONT-STYLE: italic">Penalty: free kick@@@@/SPAN>
    Law 20.1 (j)

@@@@/SPAN>@@@@/SPAN>A front row must not form at a distance from its opponents and rush against them. This is dangerous play. @@@@SPAN style="FONT-STYLE: italic">Penalty: free kick@@@@/SPAN>
    Law 20.1 (k)

What difference would this make?[img]smileys/c&#111;nfused.gif[/img]

Is it to prevent charging or reduce the impact?

Comment

Reduce the impact I believe.
      Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Will it actually make a difference though? There's still plenty potential for a big hit.

I know people have said it'll give Ireland/Munster a boost given we supposedly have more technical scrummagers up against larger more physical opponents (bigger than the Bull?), but I'll believe it when I see it.

Munster - Incessant Perfervidity
        "Ireland Will Choke" - Jeremy Guscott

Comment

20.6 (d) remains [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

My computer thinks I'm gay
          What's the difference anyway
          When all the people do all day
          Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by sewa

20.6 (d) remains [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

<DIV>
            </DIV>
            <DIV></DIV>
            <DIV>I've seen scrum halves pinged for this a couple of times throughout the AI's. The subsequent scrum feed was equally as crooked but deemed ok by the refs[img]smileys/c&#111;nfused.gif[/img]</DIV>
            <a href=\"http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/Ruck_You\" target=\"_blank\">
            http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/default/Ruck%20You.jpg
            </a>

If you’re fat stay in the ruck - Liam Toland

Comment

Originally posted by who?
              Will it actually make a difference though? There's still plenty potential for a big hit.

I know people have said it'll give Ireland/Munster a boost given we supposedly have more technical scrummagers up against larger more physical opponents (bigger than the Bull?), but I'll believe it when I see it.

Don't know about that Who - the players touching will have an arm outstretched to their opposite number. It will really take the edge of the initial contact.
              "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

The existing law already says

@@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;">@@@@/SPAN>
                20.1 (g) Front rows coming together. First, the referee marks with a
                foot the place where the scrum is to be formed. Before the two
                front rows come together they must be standing not more than an
                arm’s length apart
                . The ball is in the scrum half’s hands, ready to
                be thrown in. The front rows must crouch so that when they meet,
                each player’s head and shoulders are no lower than the hips. The
                front rows must interlock so that no player’s head is next to the
                head of a team mate.
                ..so they're really only enforcing this strictly. Also they only need to touch before they engage - they don't have to stay touching, it's only there to enforce the maximum separation between front rows and to make sure they're lined up straight

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy

Don't know about that Who - the players touching will have an arm outstretched to their opposite number. It will really take the edge of the initial contact.
                  No my understanding and the way it's reffed down at my level is that you touch and you can then release. The touch is to set the distance
                  Kiva - Loans That Change Lives

Comment

Originally posted by daveirl
                    Originally posted by Balla Boy

No my understanding and the way it's reffed down at my level is that you touch and you can then release. The touch is to set the distance

I suspect that our props may just be availing themselves of the oppotunity to catch a handful of the other guy before binding down.

If the arm is dropped, then there's plenty of opportunity for impact. Though, you could generate a fair amount by giving them a quick tug on the way in.
                    "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

It looks to me like it will bring hooking (striking for the ball)back into the modern game's scrum which might be no bad thing i.e. if you reduce the hit and force the ball to be thrown in straight you give the opposition hooker a fighting chance of striking for it. That's assuming any of them can remember how to of course [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]))

In the short term it will more than likely just lead to a load of free kicks from scrums so on your marks Leamy &amp; Wally!!!

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Working...
                      X