Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boss

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Boss

    I remember someone somewhere saying that a scrum half that
    takes a step is like a full back who lets the ball bounce.

    I know it's a couple of weeks out of date and I apologise but I felt
    RTE's shameless whoreing for Boss after the Australia game was an
    insult to anyone who's every played the great game.

    Boss took a month to get the ball away from the base, his descision
    making was s**te and he didnt put up one meaningful kick.

    Yet after the game you'd swear that we had just witnessed Van Der
    WestHuizen or Howley in their pomp.

    One of the most annoying comments had to be" he made the
    Australian back row think". They were probably thinking thank f*ck
    this guy cant pass cos I'll be 10 yards closer to O Driscoll by the time
    he gets it away.

    I disagree with this media campaign for certain players some
    journeyman kiwi who couldnt buy a game at home comes over here
    and after a few decent performances in the ML gets the gig ahead of
    the best passer in the world?

    It pisses me right off.

    As someone who knows a lot about these things once said a scrum
    half who takes a step is like a.............



    #2
    Get over it, he's a good player. You lot who choose the "Boss is s**te" route give me a pain in the feckin arse. Change the record. And who in the name of jaysus is the best passer in the world???

    Ps - Shameless whoring??? I'd rather listen to seasoned rugby journalists then some hurler on the ditch like yourself.

    Oh hold on..I've been wummed. Are you Rio Ferdinand?

    Comment


      #3


      Well said, and you could throw in the "winding up to pass" also. You just can't beat a fast pass. Perhaps the media should be focusing on why so many of our scrumhalves can't pass a ball quickly ? Stringer, Frank Murphy and even Gerry Hurley are fine passers but more seems to be made of those who break all the time.

      Comment


        #4


        Originally posted by SkibRed
        Get over it, he's a good player. You lot who choose the "Boss is s**te" route give me a pain in the feckin arse. Change the record. And who in the name of jaysus is the best passer in the world???


        Err....Peter Stringer perhaps? [img]smileys/shock.gif[/img]

        Comment


          #5
          That does not make Boss a journeyman or any worse then Stringer though. I dont get it.

          Dont fall for a poor wum though Point.. First post and he comes out with that.

          He's just walked away whistling

          Comment


            #6

            Originally posted by Point

            Originally posted by SkibRed
            Get over it, he's a good player. You lot who choose the "Boss is s**te" route give me a pain in the feckin arse. Change the record. And who in the name of jaysus is the best passer in the world???</font>


            Err....Peter Stringer perhaps? [img]smileys/shock.gif[/img]
            Perhaps not?[img]smileys/shock.gif[/img]


            Comment


              #7
              Coming soon to Munsterfans...why Ronan O'Gara is better then Dan Carter.

              [img]smileys/shock.gif[/img]

              Comment


                #8


                I have to say i was pretty surprised by some folks reaction to Boss, i think it came across a bit one eyed in some quarters. Yes his pass was a bit slower but was it really so obviously slower and did really effect are back line that much?


                I was very much undecided about Boss pre thaOz game, and am as of yet still not decided, but my over riding feeling after gamewas it seemed like we had an extra man in the backline. Another option, another threat and just something completley different from what we've become accustomed to with stringer.


                Yes boss took some wrong options and made some silly kicks but it was his first full cap and he was playing with most of that team for the very first time.


                So im very much for horses for courses and all that but i by know means see Boss as journey man, and can see him doing great things for ireland

                Comment


                  #9


                  I'm despair sometimes.


                  Obviously we put in our best 40 minutes of rugby in the modern era because our scrum half was crap...I mean come everyone knows that. Wise up Joe and just accept that Boss is a good player, every scrum half in the SH takes a step before they pass and they aren't bad players. Stringer is still number 1 but anyone who thinks Boss is out of his depth or not good enough is either just p****d off because he wasn't born in Ireland and represents the country or else they haven't a clue about rugby.

                  Comment


                    #10


                    Like O'Leary, it doesn't matter how good the rest of his game is if he doesn't have a fast pass, it's his primary function, not that I'm ready to dismiss Boss just yet.
                    It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

                    Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by blackadder


                      I'm despair sometimes.


                      Obviously we put in our best 40 minutes of rugby in the modern era because our scrum half was crap...I mean come everyone knows that. Wise up Joe and just accept that Boss is a good player, every scrum half in the SH takes a step before they pass and they aren't bad players. Stringer is still number 1 but anyone who thinks Boss is out of his depth or not good enough is either just p****d off because he wasn't born in Ireland and represents the country or else they haven't a clue about rugby.

                      I agree. His passing / decision making could improve slightly but a good player. Still secodn to Strings but England would absolutely love to have him.


                      My computer thinks I'm gay
                      What's the difference anyway
                      When all the people do all day
                      Is stare into a phone

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Boss is a good player, Stringer's passing is clearly faster . He is still very raw at Test level. What surprised me in the Aus. Test was that the Irish backrow didn't read Boss's breaks, that is with Ulster Boss will often run sideways to check the defense and this also creates a running lines for his team mates, the only time the rest of the team read what he was doing was when POC took the ball on once. He is a different tactical option, given that EOS has us moving to a running game someone like Boss is important for this kind of game. While Boss took the wrong option with the ball a few times he was able to recycle the ball each time, and never knocked on going into contact.

                        He still has work to do, but the potential is there.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Agree if we judged every player on their first testthere wouldn't be an Irish team. Pass is slower then Stringers but give him a chance. Different option Eddie can now mix and match as required.
                          Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

                          Comment


                            #14


                            Stringer has a faster pass than him, true, but he can also take ages to get the ball away from the base.


                            I'd also rather have an attacker running at Boss than at Stringer (not primary function I know, but everyone has to defend). He also butchered and overlap at one stage so his desicion making needs to improve. All this comes with experience though. Ireland played one of the best halves of rugby we'd played in a long time, with him on the field.

                            Comment


                              #15

                              Originally posted by Clon
                              Boss is a good player, Stringer's passing is clearly faster . He is still very raw at Test level. What surprised me in the Aus. Test was that the Irish backrow didn't read Boss's breaks, that is with Ulster Boss will often run sideways to check the defense and this also creates a running lines for his team mates, the only time the rest of the team read what he was doing was when POC took the ball on once. He is a different tactical option, given that EOS has us moving to a running game someone like Boss is important for this kind of game. While Boss took the wrong option with the ball a few times he was able to recycle the ball each time, and never knocked on going into contact.
                              For a first international start (and especially given the quality of the opposition) Boss had a fine game, make no bones about it.

                              BUT I don't agree with the above analysis. Boss running sideways won't check the defence, it'll drag it out wide; and considering Australia employ a drift defence anyway it's doubly pointless. If he wanted to check the defence he should be making (straight!) breaks in around the fringes.

                              I think the option of the scrum half going laterally with the ball offloading to a player off either shoulder is a valid option; but best suited to a backline of crash-ball merchants. With the backline that we now have, I think we can (and do) a lot better just getting quick feed from the rucks.
                              Munster - Incessant Perfervidity
                              "Ireland Will Choke" - Jeremy Guscott

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X