X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Croke park under lights....

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="2" width="100%">
    <t><tr><td background="/images/tile3.jpg">
    LET THERE BE LIGHT: Croke Park glows in the dark in preparation for soccer and rugby games</font></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>
    </font>

</td>
    </tr>
    </t>
    </table>

<table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="50">

<t><tr><td>

<table align="center" bgcolor="" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0"> <t><tr bgcolor="#4a5c82">
    <td>
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr bgcolor="#4a5c82">
    <td>
    </font>

</td>
    </tr>
    </t></table>
    </td></tr>
    </t>
    </table>

HERE'S a sneak preview of what rugby and soccer fans can expect for next year's internationals at Croke Park.

Our picture exclusive - taken before dawn broke yesterday - shows
    how impressive the home of the GAA will look under the glare of its
    spectacular new floodlights.

While the opening of Croker to so-called 'foreign games' has upset
    some GAA diehards, there's little doubt that the television pictures of
    next year's matches will win the Association universal praise.

When all 300 lights are ready to be switched on, the power of the
    newly-installed system will be twice that of the floodlights in the old
    Lansdowne Road.

Work on the €5m project is bang on course and with a lux
    measurement of 2,500 per square metre, Croker will boast one of the
    world's best sets of floodlights.

By way of comparison, Sydney's Olympic Stadium has a lux
    measurement of 2,000 per square metre, and the reason why the lights
    are so powerful is to accommodate for hurling games to be played at
    night.

Despite most of the attention falling on the high-profile soccer
    and rugby games being played at the Jones' Road venue, the first
    floodlit game there will be the meeting of Dublin and Tyrone
    footballers in the NFL on Saturday, February 3. Tyrone boss Mickey
    Harte has already called on the GAA's marketing division to promote
    that historic encounter as much as possible. Eight days after two of
    Gaelic's football leading lights grace the hallowed turf, it will be
    the turn of the Irish rugby team to take on France in their second game
    of the Six Nations tournament. England will be the visitors a fortnight
    later in what is sure to be one of the biggest sporting occasions that
    this country has ever witnessed.

Come March, it will be the soccer double-header at Croker against
    Wales and Slovakia as Steve Staunton bids to resurrect his Ireland's
    Euro 2008 qualifying campaign.

Shane Scanlon</font>
    He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

I was there last wednesday at about 7.30 in the morning and they had all the lights on. It looked absolutely class! Also the stanchion posts were taken down from the goals so they looked like rugby posts.

Roll on February [img]smileys/thumb-up.gif[/img]
    Known as \"Expat\" in a previous life

Comment

looks impressive. I'm waiting for the Italy game in '08 before I'll go looking for tickets for a game in croker. It's pretty much tradition for me now, it's always the italian games I seem to get tickets for. i'm staying away from all them band-waggoners going to the games in '07 .. glamour fixtures [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Plato: \"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.\"

Comment

Use of Croke Park for non-GAA games 2008 hasn't been OK'd yet.

Comment

God, I'd love to get tickets for either one of these games. Likewise, the only home 6N games I've been to were against Italy.
          Munster - Incessant Perfervidity
          "Ireland Will Choke" - Jeremy Guscott

Comment

I'm looking forward to it - have my fingers crossed for tickets with my club and have been promised a ticket for the French game (I gave in to a Corporate invite).
            Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music.

Comment

In all honesty I couldn't care less about whether I go to Croker to see the rugby team... I'll be more than happy to see them wherever they end up playing. And I'm sticking to the italy games. Let the prawn sandwichers enjoy the Eng/Fra/wales/Sco matches I'm quite happy to go the Italy match. Usually they are hard fought games, and it's great to see a new team on the rise.

Granted my taxes helped pay for croker, but I am not a fan of the Ghaa at all, so all this hullaballo about people all of a sudden wanting to go see the irish rugby team play there strikes me as utter nonsense. Yes it's a great stadium &amp; well done to the GAA for developing it, but until they strike out that rule in the constitution they can go &amp; sh1.t as far as I'm concerned.

What other sport in this country has articles in their rules/constitution banning other sports from using their facilities ?

I don't see anything in the Irish surf association constitution banning other watersports utilizing ISA facilities, indeed we've provided staff and equipment and facilitiesto other watersports organisations( for a price, but that's acceptable).

And before anyone says the GAA are worried about soccer/rugby stealing their players, the same applies to all sports. People will play (and stick with) the sport that suits them best.
              Plato: \"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.\"

Comment

Originally posted by lahinch_lass

What other sport in this country has articles in their rules/constitution banning other sports from using their facilities ?
                Well, golf clubs tend to be rather fussy about what sports take place on their courses. [img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]
                Munster - Incessant Perfervidity
                "Ireland Will Choke" - Jeremy Guscott

Comment

@@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;">Granted my taxes helped pay for croker@@@@/SPAN>, but I am not a fan of the Ghaa at all, so all this hullaballo about people all of a sudden wanting to go see the irish rugby team play there strikes me as utter nonsense. Yes it's a great stadium &amp; well done to the GAA for developing it, but until they strike out that rule in the constitution they can go &amp; sh1.t as far as I'm concerned.

I don't see anything in the Irish surf association constitution banning other watersports utilizing ISA facilities, indeed we've provided staff and equipment and facilitiesto other watersports organisations( for a price, but that's acceptable).

And before anyone says the GAA are worried about soccer/rugby stealing their players, the same applies to all sports. People will play (and stick with) the sport that suits them best.
                  €20 million out of an overall cost of €260 million was from the exchequer for a project that was delivered largely on schedule, on-budget (without an all-ireland final having to be played elsewhere during redevelopment), that generates huge revenue for the city, regularly entertains massive crowds, and is close to being totally paid off. Your taxes have been wasted on much worse. Compare that to €365 million (yeah right!) for the new Lansdowne Road of which almost €200 million is coming from the government, with the IRFU and FAI making up the balance. Don't hear many complaints about that though. Think of all the hospital beds etc. etc.
                  Grandpa Simpson: The last time the meteors came, we thought the sky was on fire. Naturally, we blamed the Irish. We hanged more \'n a few.

Comment

lets not get back into the GAA paid for this, the taxes paid for that, the sports allowed in are this etc...

When Ireland play home matches in this years 6 nations, it will be in a stadium the Irish people can be proud of, and the world can witness grand slam winners and world cup hopefuls, Ireland play some quality rugby........

He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief

@@@@SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Granted my taxes helped pay for croker@@@@/SPAN>, but I am not a fan of the Ghaa at all, so all this hullaballo about people all of a sudden wanting to go see the irish rugby team play there strikes me as utter nonsense. Yes it's a great stadium &amp; well done to the GAA for developing it, but until they strike out that rule in the constitution they can go &amp; sh1.t as far as I'm concerned.

€20 million out of an overall cost of €260 million was from the exchequer for a project that was delivered largely on schedule, on-budget (without an all-ireland final having to be played elsewhere during redevelopment), that generates huge revenue for the city, regularly entertains massive crowds, and is close to being totally paid off. Your taxes have been wasted on much worse. Compare that to €365 million (yeah right!) for the new Lansdowne Road of which almost €200 million is coming from the government, with the IRFU and FAI making up the balance. Don't hear many complaints about that though. Think of all the hospital beds etc. etc.

I know your CP figures are bull (GAA were given £25m (€31m) at the VERY start of the redevelopment and got another €20m for agreeing to host the Special Olympics), but I haven't the interest to get the rest.

Just think of that €200m as partcompensation for the century of sporting apartheid operated by the GAA [img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Point

I know your CP figures are bull (GAA were given £25m (€31m) at the VERY start of the redevelopment and got another €20m for agreeing to host the Special Olympics), but I haven't the interest to get the rest.

Just think of that €200m as partcompensation for the century of sporting apartheid operated by the GAA [img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]
                        OK my numbers might be missing a few shillings here and there (very hard to find an actual breakdown) but the fact remains that the exchequer money (not lottery grants) received has made its way back into government coffers in the form of VAT, taxation etc. It was a very good investment from their point of view and the debt is more or less repaid or soon will be. In relation to sporting apartheid I won't comment, as following the "hurling apartheid" thread I am all apartheided out for today.
                        Grandpa Simpson: The last time the meteors came, we thought the sky was on fire. Naturally, we blamed the Irish. We hanged more \'n a few.

Comment

In all honesty I couldn't care less about whether I go to Croker to see the rugby team... I'll be more than happy to see them wherever they end up playing. And I'm sticking to the italy games. Let the prawn sandwichers enjoy the Eng/Fra/wales/Sco matches I'm quite happy to go the Italy match. Usually they are hard fought games, and it's great to see a new team on the rise.

Granted my taxes helped pay for croker, but I am not a fan of the Ghaa at all, so all this hullaballo about people all of a sudden wanting to go see the irish rugby team play there strikes me as utter nonsense. Yes it's a great stadium &amp; well done to the GAA for developing it, but until they strike out that rule in the constitution they can go &amp; sh1.t as far as I'm concerned.

why the hell should they care about the other sports.the gaa are there to cater for the gaa,if the other sports dont like it they can shag off and finally build there own stadium,

its not the gaa's fault that the soccer and rugby assocoations cant run their own organisations,and get decent facilities.do you ever see the gaa and amateur organisation having to go to rugby and soccer teams begging to use their facilities? no. because all over the country the gaa has built decent infrastructure,with great stadia,croke park,semple stadium,pairc ui choimh,clones and a host of others. pretty much every county in ireland has a stadium thats better than thomond park,whos faults that?

what has the soccer lot got to show for their decades of ineptitude? dalymount park! the irfu? a run down landsdowne road! its not the gaas fault they've been successful,and had a bit of foresight.

the irfu and the fai get plenty of money off the government too,maybe they should have got up of their arses years ago and actually done something,for themselves,rather than hving to go whinging to an amateur organisation that owes them nothing.

rugby and soccer fans that the gaa are allowing others to play in croke park.you'd swear that rugby and soccer had a God given right to play there

t
                          g\'wan bruff!!

``The answer is not heavy- handed regulations that crush the entrepreneurial spirit and risk- taking of American capitalism. That\'s what\'s made our economy great.\"
                          -Barack Obama

\"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics\"
                          -thomas sowell

Comment

While I accept that the GAA should have a right to do what they want with their assets, the problem that I have in Ireland is that in most major cities and towns two of everything is being built, and they are all trying to make their developments world class, it would make more economic sense to build one major new stadia in each city.

So if the State made an offer of over 100m to the GAA to open up Croke Park fully this would be cheaper for the State than rebuilding LR, the IRFU could sell LR and generate several 100 million for the domestic game. the GAA could put the extra State money towards grass roots hurling etc.

In Munster we have seen the GG being done up and now TP being done up, if both bodies could have come together then a genuinely large world class stadium could have been built in Limerick. In Cork the GAA are getting the Showgrounds land cheaply from the council, again if the State had become involved then PUC could be complatetely knocked down and a world class stadium could be put in, and maybe MP games moved there, after land sales etc. it may not have cost a fortune.

This is all theory of course, that will never happen, but it makes perfect sense to me.

Comment

ohh I could really drag this one into the muck all the way ..

The GAA have operated(past tense)policies of excluding people from their clubs if they played other sports, that in turn meant smaller participation figures for other sports. Thankfully they've somewhat gotten over that aspect of their bigotry, but again ask the dual code players in certain counties how they feel about having to choose football over hurling or vice-versa ? Amature sport ????

Or ask their players who put in hundreds of hours of training and then get told they can't sign any sort of sponsorship agreements of their own.. ahh this is where the oh so important amature status kicks in.

Or ask people who've seen the disdain GAA clubs for any other clubs in their area .... e.g. the 3 yrs I spent on the UL S&amp;S council not once betweenthe 5 GAA clubs on campus did they actually manage to have anyone show up toS&amp;S meetings on a regular basis.... They were theONLY clubs I remember having such trouble finding people to attend a meeting that they actually got penalised for it ! They only had to show up once every 3 weeks to avoid the fine .. but no, that was too much trouble.

They don't give a toss about anyone else, so why on earth should anyone else give a toss about them ?

In case you've forgotten about the whole bertie bowl fiasco &amp; the planned soccer stadium that's at least part of the reason why FAI/IRFU don't have an alternate venue now that lansdowne is going through re-dev.

The FAI are a shower of jokers, and unfortunately for the IRFU they're also their primary tenants for lansdowne. Had the FAI gone ahead with their ownstadium plans then it might have been possible for the IRFU to have taken a different approach to the lansdowne work, but we'll never know.

There's every possiblilty an alternate approach could have involved re-locating irish international rugby games to ravenhill/thomond/bertiebowl(had it happened)/RDS, or else a lansdowne re-dev operated in similar manner to that planned for Thomond where the stadium would still be usable through the work.

Anyone that's ever been to Melbourne/going to melbourne should seriously take the guided tour of the MCG and pay attention the the cricket v. AFL portion of the history ... The cricket club members had one of their stands designed so it could flip over and allow them to watch the footie happening in the park outside the MCG during the winter .. the stand got burned down .. the MCG members decided they wanted to watch the footie in proper comfort and eventually allowed the games to move into the MCG itself. bTW current waitlist for membership there is 100k..

Comment

Working...
                              X