• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ireland 61-17 Pacific Islands

Saw 1st half & start of 2nd but pub I was watching it in switched
    to Man Utd v Chelsea after a fairly comprehensive democratic vote in
    which I was outvoted by about 30 to 1. My ridiculous attempts to argue
    that the game was still in the balance were ignored.

Anyway just read report on BBC & I see BOD went off injured : Is it
    serious? Stade Francais, Sale & Leinster have paid a heavy price
    for these AI's. We've lost Horan but I think we've got off lightly
    compared to others.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again (like picking Gordon D'Arcy) and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=629><T>
    <T>
    <TR>
    <TD colSpan=3>
    <DIV ="mxb">
    <DIV ="sh">Ireland 61-17 Pacific Islands </DIV></DIV></TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD vAlign=top width=416><!- S BO -><!- S IIMA ->
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 align=right><T>
    <T>
    <TR>
    <TD>
    <DIV>
    <DIV ="cap">Paddy Wallace scores a try in the victory at Lansdowne Road</DIV></DIV></TD></TR></T></T></TABLE><!- E IIMA ->

Ireland (37) 61
    Tries: Hickie, Wallace, O'Kelly, Easterby (2), Horgan, R Best, O'Connell
    Con: Wallace (6)
    Pens: Wallace (3)

Pacific Islands (12) 17
    Tries: Rabeni, Fa'atau, Pisi
    Con: Pisi
    Pens:

<!- S SF ->Ireland completed a hat-trick of autumn Test wins with a thumping victory in the last international before Lansdowne Road is demolished and rebuilt.

Ulster fly-half Paddy Wallace starred in his first Irish start with 26 points from an excellent kicking display.

Tries from Denis Hickie, Wallace, Malcolm O'Kelly, Simon Esterby (2), Shane Horgan, Rory Best and Paul O'Connell secured a convincing win.

Seru Rabeni, Lome Fa'atau and Tusi Pisi touched down for the visitors. <!- E SF ->

The Irish started and finished the first half in style but in between they displayed all the signs of a team showing nine changes, including three debutants.

A clever reverse pass from Wallace sent Hickie through for the opening try after five minutes.

<!- S I ->
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=208 align=right><T>
    <T>
    <TR>
    <TD width=5></TD>
    <TD ="sib606">
    <DIV ="sihf"></DIV><!- E ILIN -></TD></TR></T></T></TABLE><!- E I ->

Wallace added the conversion and a penalty to give the home side early confidence.

But the visitors hit back after 12 minutes with Seru Rabeni going over for a converted try after good work from Ratuvou.

Wallace gave Ireland a nine-point cushion with two more penalties but the new-look side were now making mistakes and the game was lacking any rythm.

Justin Va'a was sinbinned after pulling down a maul on 30 minutes but the Pacific Islands claimed their second try four minutes later when Fa'atau touched down after a turnover.

There was a late flourish from the Irish with Wallace cutting inside and darting over before O'Kelly put a further five points on the board after stealing the ball from a line-out.

Girvan Dempsey, injured in a first-half tackle from Rabeni, is replaced at the interval by Gordon D'Arcy.

Eddie O'Sullivan's side made an excellent start to the second half with tries from Easterby and Horgan.

Brian O'Driscoll's off-load put Easterby through while Horgan bounced off a tackle before racing to the line.

The impressive Wallace converted both tries to take his tally to 24 points.

Ireland skipper O'Driscoll went off injured after 58 minutes with Ulster scrum-half Issac Boss his replacement.

Easterby forced his way over for his second try and another superb kick from Wallace makes it 51-12.

Rory Best added another try courtesy of a Boss lay-off and O'Connell surged over for the final try at the old Dublin stadium.

Sadly for Wallace he spoiled his perfect record by missing his final two conversion attempts.

<HR>

Ireland: G Dempsey, L Fitzgerald, B O'Driscoll, S Horgan, D Hickie, P Wallace, P Stringer; B Young, F Sheahan, J Hayes, M O'Kelly, P O'Connell, S Easterby, SD Ferris, J Heaslip.
    Replacements: R Best, S Best, D O'Callaghan, D Leamy, I Boss, R O'Gara, G D'Arcy.

Pacific Islands: N Ligairi, L Fa'atau, S Rabeni, E Seveali'i, K Ratuvou; T Pisi, M Rauluni; J Va'aHale A Lutui, T Taumoepeau, D

Comment

Originally posted by Mcork
      Saw 1st half &amp; start of 2nd but pub I was watching it in switched to Man Utd v Chelsea after a fairly comprehensive democratic vote in which I was outvoted by about 30 to 1. My ridiculous attempts to argue that the game was still in the balance were ignored.

Anyway just read report on BBC &amp; I see BOD went off injured : Is it serious? Stade Francais, Sale &amp; Leinster have paid a heavy price for these AI's. We've lost Horan but I think we've got off lightly compared to others.

Didn't look serious - he walked fairly comfortably. I'll be the first to say that i was pleasantly surprised by the performance of P Wallace. I know the PIs are not a good benchmark but his place-kicking, passing and running lines were impressive - fair play to the guy. the pressure was on and he did as much as could have been asked...

Comment

Originally posted by Sin a bhfuil

Originally posted by Mcork
        Saw 1st half & start of 2nd
        but pub I was watching it in switched to Man Utd v Chelsea after a
        fairly comprehensive democratic vote in which I was outvoted by
        about 30 to 1. My ridiculous attempts to argue that the game was still
        in the balance were ignored.Anyway just read report on BBC & I see
        BOD went off injured : Is it serious? Stade Francais, Sale & Leinster
        have paid a heavy price for these AI's. We've lost Horan but I think
        we've got off lightly compared to others.

Didn't look serious - he walked fairly comfortably. I'll be the first
        to say that i was pleasantly surprised by the performance of P
        Wallace. I know the PIs are not a good benchmark but his place-
        kicking, passing and running lines were impressive - fair play to the
        guy. the pressure was on and he did as much as could have been
        asked...
        Yeah agree same here thought boss was also good when he came on

Comment

WCCheers, impressed with Wallace as well, I'd have no qualms about playing him
          against the likes of Georgia &amp; Nambia in the WC. We'll need to see
          him against better opposition B4 going further than that. Took his
          chance though &amp; will def make WC squad IMO. Wonder will
          Staunton get a chance as well or has EOS made up his mind..
          Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again (like picking Gordon D'Arcy) and expecting different results.
          Albert Einstein

Comment

Now that Wallace has passed the PI test we know we can play him against Namibia and Georgia without any concern. ROG will obviously start the 6N so the next test for Wallace should be against Argentina in June when ROG will be sitting on the beach with his feet up...at least if EOS has any sense that's what will be happening.

Also with my Ulster hat it was encouraging to see Wallace's excellent goal kicking, the last two came when he was struggling with cramp, plus it would have been poor form for him to equal ROG's points record[img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Blackadder is there any chance of him getting a few games of Ulster at 10?

Comment

Good good good. I hadn't seen the PI before - does it mean anything that we won going away from them, whereas Scotland and Wales were pegged back in their second halfs?

Comment

Fairly robust performance from a team that had what 9 changes to it. The forwards did well, lineout functioned well and all made their marks in the loose. The backs played well against a big hitting defence andeveryone came out with reputations intacted andenhanced in some occasions.

Young carried well and showed a neat dummy and nearly got in at the corner thouigh probably should have offloaded earlier. Scrummed well, though the PI's are renkowned for the scrummaging might. 7

Frankie-darts were good, though the PI's lineout wasn't the best. Carried well and didn't let himself down, still think fla and rory are ahead of him still. 7

Hayes-another solid performance form the bull. did nothing wrong and did well in the scrums. 6

Mal-big performance from MOK. Carried it up a few times and was a real thorn in the lineouts. Again like frankie not enough to dislodge incumbant but didn't his cause any harm. 7

POC-another fantastic outing for the big man, carried like a trooper and put in the work about the pitch. Best lock in the world i'd say at the moment.8

Easterby-pulled out a big performance. Tackled worked and carried ferociously, two good tries were just rewards for a fine day at the office. Don't think he will start ahead of Best but he offers a different approach should it be needed. 8

Ferris-not as barnstorming as he has been for Ulster but a very solid performance. Got througha lot of work, was 1st or second to just about every ruck beasting anyone who shouldn't be there out of the way. Made a solid 5+ metres of the restarts he caught and i don't think missed a tackle.7

Heaslip-took his debut in his stride, carried well and impressed with the ball in hand. Took a big hit well from Rambeni8

Stringer-got caught in possession a couple of times, though probably down to poor protection from his forwards and concentrated effort to disrupt possession. An excellent little dink into the 22' but also some wayward kicks. 6.5

Wallace-great effort when the pressure was on. Kicked superbly until cramp set in and took his try well. Not going to dislodge ROG but he's there if we need to chase a game with 10 to go. 9

Hickie-another good showing from Hickie, good strength for his try and some useful kicks.8

Horgan-played very well, good footwork and sheer brute force when required deserved his try for the bounce alone. Silly kick would have annoyed him. 8

BOD-quality personfied in the little left footed kick which turned the PI's and gave ireland a little boost. Defence was as usual top notch, though got outpaced for the PI's second try (possibly first not sure). 8

fitzgerald-shaky start and wasn't helped by a BOD hospital pass but got into the game more and showed good pace and feet, though his awareness could imporve. 7

Girv-solid again, heavy and high tackle from rambeni put him out but countered solidly again. Not the paciest but he's a big guy and hard to put down.

S.Best-good scrummaging, got his hands on the ball a few times did nothing wrong.6

R.Best-good support play for his try, not unlike his one against bizzritz last year for ulster. 6

DOC-6

Leamy-not enough time to make much of an impact. Usual determination and aggression.6

Boss-came on the wing, elusive running and an excellent break from first reciever to set up rory's try. 7

ROg-not enough time for rating

D'Arcy-solid effort. Defended well and danced well, passing looked sharp too. 7

Comment

Couldn't agree about Mal at all, RHH. Missed two sitters of tackles and did a fair amount of ruck-inspecting. Also, was swinging out of one lad's jersey for about 10 mins (ok, ok... slight exaggeration..) before he brought him down. Think DOC is way ahead of him now.

If the Bull did no wrong, then how come he only gets a 6 frm your good self?? I thought the lineout suffered when he went off myself.

Dunno when the TV coverage finished but the Bull took off his jersey and threw it into the crowd at the end of the lap of honour. Started a bit of a strip-fest then! He was hanging off POC trying to get him to take his off but POC was having none of it at first but did succumb to peer pressure at the end!! BOD came off the pitch minus jersey, boots and socks! Was starting to get worried there!

ROG and DOC went to the other end of the pitch throw in their jerseys and think one of the PIs did also.

Excelent finish and nice souvenirs for some lucky folk...
                    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Good performance from Wallace, it's good to see that we might potentially have cover at 10. We need to see how he handles tighter games though. He should definitely be playing vs. Argentina in the summer (gives ROG a rest), but it's time for McCall to give him some HEC starts at 10. The upcoming games against London Irish would be an ideal place to start. Ireland and Ulster will suffer in the long term if we continue to rely on the Humph.

Comment

Originally posted by SecondRowGal

ROG and DOC went to the other end of the pitch throw in their jerseys and think one of the PIs did also.
                        I think they went to the wheelchair end, though it could have been because ROG wanted to jump those hoardings one last time

Seven social sins: politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice

Comment

they showed the strip off alright .. hamilton's comment was that we might be about to witness the first streak by an irish player !
                          Plato: \"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.\"

Comment

The 6 wasn't meant as a harsh rating i just felt that he wasn't as involvedtoday as he was last week when he was phenonenal. When it comes to the lineout Bull's use cannot be underestimated, but its the scrummaging that worries me. If he could constantly hold his own even (not looking for destructive ability) he would be in Haymans league as i said on a thread here or the uafc site.

Ps good luck to whoever caught Bulls jersey, alls i can say hope it wasn't too windy leaving lansdowne!

Comment

<div ="mxb">
                              <div ="sh">@@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;">
                              Ireland v Pacific Islands statistics from BBC

@@@@/SPAN>
                              </div>
                              </div>

<!- S BO ->
                              <!- S IANC ->
                              <a name=""></a>
                              <!- E IANC ->
                              <!- S ITAB ->

<table align="center" border="0" width="416">

<t><tr bgcolor="#dddddd"><td ="statsTableRowLightGrey" align="left" valign="top" width="8793">
                              Ireland </font></td><td ="statsTableRowLightGrey" align="left" valign="top" width="8793"> 61-17 </font></td><td ="statsTableRowLightGrey" align="left" valign="top" width="8793"> Pacific Islands</font></td></tr>

<tr bgcolor="#ffffff"><td ="statsTableRow" align="left" valign="top" width="8793">
                              8 </font></td><td ="statsTableRow" align="left" valign="top" width="8793"> Tries </font></td><td ="statsTableRow" align="left" valign="top" width="8793"> 3</font></td></tr>

<tr bgcolor="#ffffff"><td ="statsTableRow" align="left" valign="top" width="8793">
                              0 </font></td><td ="statsTableRow" align="left" valign="top" width="8793"> Pen tries </font></td><td ="statsTableRow" align="left" valign="top" width="8793"> 0</font></td></tr>

6/8 </font></td><td ="statsTableRow" align="left" valign="top" width="8793"> Conversions </font></td><td ="statsTableRow" align="left" valign="top" width="8793"> 1/3</font></td></tr>

3/3 </font></td><td ="statsTableRow" align="left" valign="top" width="8793"> Penalty goals </font></td><td ="statsTableRow" align="left" valign="top" width="8793"> 0/1</font></td></tr>

0/0 </font></td><td ="statsTableRow" align="left" valign="top" width="8793"> Drop goals </font></td><td ="statsTableRow" align="left" valign="top" width="8793"> 0/0</font></td></tr>

</t></table>

<!- E ITAB ->
                              </font>

<!- S ITAB ->

<table align="center" border="0" width="416">

<t><tr bgcolor="#dddddd"><td ="statsTableRowLightGrey" align="left" valign="top" width="8793"> </font>
                              </td><td ="statsTableRowLightGrey" align="left" valign="top" width="8793">
                              Phases of Play</font></td><td ="statsTableRowLightGrey" align="left" valign="top" width="8793"> </font>
                              </td></tr>

14 </font></td><td ="statsTableRow" align="left" valign="top" width="8793"> Scrums Won </font></td><td ="statsTableRow" align="left" valign="top" width="8793"> 8</font></td></tr>

0 </font></td><td ="statsTableRow" align="left" valign="top" width="8793"> Lost </font></td><td ="statsTableRow" align="left" valign="top" width="8793"> 0</font></td></tr>

Comment

Working...
                              X