Wallabies cut Paul for Wales test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wallabies cut Paul for Wales test

Australia's selectors have trimmed the Wallabies squad from 59 to 37 ahead of the forthcoming Tests with Wales, Fiji, New Zealand and South Africa.

Surprise cuts include hooker Jeremy Paul, plus New South Wales scrum-halves Josh Valentine and Brett Sheehan.

Yet rookie Waratah Josh Holmes, 20, is included along with George Gregan and Sam Cordingley at number nine.

Clyde Rathbone and Morgan Turinui are out injured, while lock Mitch Chapman will undergo shoulder surgery. <!- E SF ->

Young Reds playmaker Berrick Barnes makes the cut along with Stephen Larkham and Sam Norton-Knight at fly-half, but teenagers Quade Cooper and Kurtley Beale missed out.

Adam Freier and Reds' Stephen Moore look to have the hooking role sewn-up after Paul's non-selection, while Julian Huxley looks odds-on to take over at full-back for the injured Chris Latham.

Seven more players will be cut after a three-day training camp in Sydney this week to give the final 30-man squad for the upcoming Test series.

Wallabies head coach John Connolly claimed that many places are still up for grabs, with heavy competition in the positions of prop, lock, number eight, centre and wing.

"The camp will give us a starting point in our preparation for the first Test against Wales in Sydney on 26 May," Connolly said.

"It will give us the opportunity to have a closer look at a few of the players before we decide on the final squad of 30 next Sunday."

Most of the 22 players cut will be part of the 25-man Australia A squad for the five-match Pacific Nations Cup in May and June.

<HR>

Australia 37-man squad for three-day Sydney training camp:

Forwards: Al Baxter, Rodney Blake, Benn Robinson, Matt Dunning, Guy Shepherdson, Adam Freier, Stephen Moore, Mark Chisholm, Nathan Sharpe, Dan Vickerman, Hugh McMeniman, James Horwill, Rocky Elsom, George Smith, Phil Waugh, Stephen Hoiles, David Lyons, Wycliff Palu, Jone Tawake.
    Backs: George Gregan, Sam Cordingley, Josh Holmes, Stephen Larkham, Sam Norton-Knight, Berrick Barnes, Matt Giteau, Stirling Mortlock, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Ryan Cross, Scott Staniforth, Lote Tuqiri, Mark Gerrard, Digby Ioane, Drew Mitchell, Lachlan Turner, Julian Huxley, Cameron Shepherd.

Dropped players: Alister Campbell, Nic Henderson, Jeremy Paul, Clyde Rathbone, Julian Salvi, Adam Wallace-Harrison, Richard Brown, Gareth Hardy, James Hilgendorf, Junior Pelesasa, David Pocock, Troy Takiari, Rudi Vedelago, Rodney Blake, Mitchell Chapman, Quade Cooper, John Roe Kurtley Beale, Will Caldwell Tatafu Polota-Nau, Brett Sheehan, Josh Valentine, Morgan Turinui.
    Seas suas agus troid!

Bound for England - Selection snub leads Paul to quit Australian rugby
    <DIV =LeadPara>DISILLUSIONED Wallaby stalwart Jeremy Paul is set to quit Australian rugby to join an English club rather than cop another slap in the face in the World Cup countdown. </DIV>
    <DIV =LeadPara>The 72-Test hooker is believed to be seeking an immediate release to pursue playing plans in England from July after his shock non-selection in a 37-man squad of Wallaby contenders which is gathering today for a camp in Sydney. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>Paul, 30, had always planned to finish his career in the homeland of his English wife Sophie but had scheduled the move for after the World Cup's conclusion in October. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>Paul has every right to feel he is on the outer of Wallaby plans for the cup. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>Not only have Queensland's Stephen Moore and NSW Waratah Adam Freier been picked ahead of him for the camp, but project hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau, 21, is also likely to attend. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>Paul's form was superb over the final month of Super 14 for the ACT Brumbies when his side was playing in virtual sudden-death games each round. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>* Wallaby winger Lote Tuqiri has apologised to Australian selector Michael O'Connor for his act of stupidity at a NSW Waratahs drinking session. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>Tuqiri set up O'Connor by placing his mobile on loudspeaker during a conversation between the pair last week. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>NSW fullback Peter Hewat and other Waratahs players tuned in to O'Connor's less than complimentary appraisal of Hewat's game. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>The goalkicking ace stormed out of the bar. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>"Lote's very contrite. It was just a terrible thing to happen and I felt personally very disappointed," O'Connor said. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>* Queensland lock James Horwill, 21, will fly to Sydney today for the selection camp, having delivered the battling Reds a huge vote of faith by re-signing yesterday for another two years. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>"Queensland showed faith in me by giving me my opportunities and I wanted to repay that faith," Horwill said. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>"I believe this team is capable of going ahead and I want to be a part of that." </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>Copyright 2007 News Ltd. All Rights Reserved </DIV>
    Seas suas agus troid!

Comment

<DIV>Wallabies hooker Jeremy Paul has agreed to join beaten Guinness Premiership finalists Gloucester in a three-year deal.

Paul, who has amassed 72 caps for Australia, will arrive at Kingsholm after the World Cup in a major coup for Gloucester head coach Dean Ryan.

The 29-year-old was part of the Wallabies side that lifted the Webb Ellis trophy in 1999 and his record also includes two Super 12 titles with the ACT Brumbies.

He will compete with Andy Titterrell, Olivier Azam and Ross McMillan for the hooking duties.

Ryan said: "This is a major signing for Gloucester Rugby and I'm delighted that Jeremy will be running out at Kingsholm next season.
      "He will add tremendously to the talent at our disposal, but more importantly as someone with more than 70 international caps he will bring huge experience and leadership qualities to the side.

"We're building a squad capable of consistently challenging for the major domestic and European honours and Jeremy is a key part of the jigsaw."

Paul, who was born in New Zealand but moved to Brisbane as a teenager, decided to join to Gloucester after being won over during a visit to Kingsholm earlier this season.

He said: "I still have some ambitions to fulfill in the international game before I depart but this is a new chapter in my life.

"I had the opportunity to visit Kingsholm to watch a match and it certainly lived up to its reputation.

"I met with Dean Ryan and the coaching staff and we share a lot of common beliefs about how the game should be played."

Meanwhile Paul has faced bitter disappointment at his exclusion from Wallaby coach John Connolly's squad of 37.

Stephen Moore of the Reds and Adam Freier of the Waratahs are the squad's hookers.

This means that in all probability Paul's international career may have reached an end already.

Paul has already been involved in two World Cups, including Australia's victorius campaign in 1999. </DIV>
      Seas suas agus troid!

Comment

Working...
      X