Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Coach of England Rugby ?

<H1>Gatland's new deal can entice the RFU</H1>

@@@@SPAN =artByline>By PETER JACKSON@@@@/SPAN> @@@@SPAN =artDate>Last updated at 22:54pm on 24th November 2006@@@@/SPAN>

Warren Gatland, the leading overseas contender to be England's next head coach, has refused to sign a long-term contract with the New Zealand Rugby Union.

The former All Black, who guided Wasps to their English-European Double in 2004, will be a free agent at the end of the World Cup next October when Andy Robinson's contract runs out, assuming he lasts that long.

The revelation that Gatland has committed himself to nothing more than another season in charge of his native Waikato will stimulate RFU interest in bringing him back post-World Cup.

In highlighting the political issues which have handicapped Robinson's regime, the 43-year-old Kiwi accuses Premiership club owners and coaches of conspiring against England - a factor which Sir Clive Woodward cited as the major reason for his resignation in September 2004.

"I've only signed for the coming season," said Gatland during a brief visit to touch former bases in London and Galway.

"They wanted me to sign for longer but I've said no. Rugby is such a volatile sport that you never know what's going to happen from season to season. I'm keeping my options open."

Twickenham has already made one abortive move for Gatland, last summer as a prospective candidate for the overlord role of elite director of rugby before Rob Andrew's appointment in August. Gatland ruled himself out after a number of interviews with the RFU's head-hunters.

"I did that because I want to coach and the job, as I understood it, did not involve any coaching," he said. "There is still a lot of coaching I want to do and I did not want to be involved in a position which didn't have a hands-on role."

Sean Fitzpatrick, whose monopoly of the hooker position explains why Gatland, his patient understudy, played 17 times for the All Blacks without making the Test team, believes England missed a trick by failing to add Gatland to their coaching team before he returned home. "They must have been mad to let him slip out of their orbit," he said.

This time next year he could be back in their orbit, but only if the English game has resolved its hitherto insoluble club-country dispute. "Sort that one out and you'd fix half the issues in English rugby overnight, especially the big one about preparation," said Gatland.

"Longer block-release periods of the players from the clubs would be part of the solution. Unfortunately, you have the owners saying they do the game a service by providing all the players and you have the RFU saying they provide all the money for the game.

"They have to find middle ground somewhere, otherwise they won't get anywhere. For that to happen you have to have people running the clubs who care about English rugby and who want England to succeed. There are some who don't."

He speaks from first-hand knowledge. "I've had conversations with people, seen them operate and seen how obtuse they were towards England," he added. "I didn't have a problem because I had been working on the other side of the fence during my time with the Irish team.

"Supporting England and releasing players for them was not an issue with me. We had a good squad, so I didn't worry about it, but there were other people in the Premiership who made it very difficult. I'm not going to say who they were, but some were very anti when it came to supporting England.

"With the communication between the All Black coaches and the provincial coaches, regular conferences, sharing of ideas both ways, the transfer of information in New Zealand is so quick it makes a huge difference to the success of the teams.

"It brings you round to the question of central contracts. I think it can work, it's just a question of convincing the owners. There are lots of issues to be resolved. Winning the last World Cu

Now all we need to do is get them to take Staunton as their football manager [img]smileys/wink.gif[/img].

Joke : Gatland is actually a great coach, it would be bad news.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again (like picking Gordon D'Arcy) and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

Hopefully, Robbo will stay until after the RWC. One less team to worry about![img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]
      To see the light one must first realise it is dark

Comment

Ashton, Ford, Gatland, O'Shea - I see a pettern but can't quite put my finger on it!

<!-
        var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
        var SymReal;

Sym()
        {
        window.open = SymWinOpen;
        if(SymReal != null)
        SymReal();
        }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
        {
        if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
        SymReal&#079;nLoad();
        window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
        SymReal = window.;
        window. = Sym;
        }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
        window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//->

\'For he that hath no stomach for this fight, let him depart\'.
        Henry V - Battle of Agincourt 1415

Comment

Well spotted, thisyear? I actually missed that...oooeer[img]smileys/redface.gif[/img]
          To see the light one must first realise it is dark

Comment

Would be a good selection for England.Could add a bit of spice to Ireland v England if Ed is still in the job.[img]smileys/razz.gif[/img]He was the man who picked us up and put things going.
            Stay cool .None of us are in the brain trust,right!

Comment

I refuse to rise to such blatant baiting. [img]smileys/mad.gif[/img]
              New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

[QUOTE=Old Dog]

I refuse to rise to such blatant baiting. [img]smileys/mad.gif[/img][ER its me I presume your refering to./QUOTE]

Comment

Dammit I just logged on to predict Gatland and already (well) beaten to it

Comment

Well OD thinking back to the GRIM 90's and THE provincial carveups of the squad.Gatland was the firstcoach in a long time to get the national team moving in the right direction .He set up the core of the current squad.Andwas treated quiet shabbily by the IRFU.Be intrested to hear your views.

Comment

Originally posted by onthe 22
                      Well OD thinking back to the GRIM 90's and THE provincial carveups of the squad.Gatland was the firstcoach in a long time to get the national team moving in the right direction .He set up the core of the current squad.Andwas treated quiet shabbily by the IRFU.Be intrested to hear your views.

I agree 100% with that post.
                      New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

I still dont understand the thinking when people blame a coach.

Look at Australia. Every one saying EDDIE JONES AND GREGAN
                        MUST GO. So they both go and Australia get worse.

Nobody knows what goes on at trainings, inside the dressing room,
                        or basically anything about coaches strategies, and how players react
                        to them. Yet they jump at the chance to blame the coach when things
                        go wrong.

Sure England are getting beaten fairly regularly, but look at their
                        players...

You cant polish a turd.

Comment

Originally posted by NONU

You cant polish a turd.

Are you speaking from experience there?[img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again (like picking Gordon D'Arcy) and expecting different results.
                          Albert Einstein

Comment

your man Gary Richardson who does Five Live Radio programme said this morning that he has it from a solid source that Robinson will be asked to leave and if he refuses then will be sacked. And he has says that the favourites to take the position are Martin Johnson or Nick Mallet<!-
                            var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
                            var SymReal;

Sym()
                            {
                            window.open = SymWinOpen;
                            if(SymReal != null)
                            SymReal();
                            }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
                            {
                            if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
                            SymReal&#079;nLoad();
                            window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
                            SymReal = window.;
                            window. = Sym;
                            }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
                            window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//->

\'For he that hath no stomach for this fight, let him depart\'.
                            Henry V - Battle of Agincourt 1415

Comment

Gats is a bloody good coach end of discussion. He started the bring the boys home, eddie continued it an reaped the benefits. I agree that eddie rejuvenated the squad as backs coach but the whole thing that ended in gats getting sacked stunk to high heaven of good old irfu back slapping and arse licking. O'Donnovan has done a good job with the forwards but i just wonder if we'd be a better team had eddie and gatland stuck together (impossible i know given eddies egotistical tendancies).

Comment

Working...
                              X