X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Henry apologises to ’Village Idiots’

@@@@SPAN =storyline>'Embarrassed' Henry offers Wales olive branch@@@@/SPAN>

@@@@SPAN =storydate>24/11/2006@@@@/SPAN>

@@@@SPAN =story>Graham Henry has apologised on behalf of the All Blacks and promised to "sort out" the New Zealand journalist who wrote an article dismissing Wales as the "village idiots" of rugby.

Graham Henry has apologised on behalf of the All Blacks and promised to "sort out" the New Zealand journalist who wrote an article dismissing Wales as the "village idiots" of rugby.

The New Zealand Herald columnist Chris Rattue kicked up a storm this week when he laid into the standard of Welsh rugby and their misguided rugby heritage.

It is 53 years since Wales last beat New Zealand and Rattue wrote: "It's pointless going on about the great history of All Black and Welsh rugby because there isn't one.

"If rugby between New Zealand and Wales was a boxing contest, they would have stopped it many rounds ago and revoked the Welsh licence.

"Let's face it. Wales are rubbish. They are the village idiots of rugby union. They have fans who live for the game, administrators who've killed it and players who lie down for the cause.

"Wales had a brilliant team of never-to-be-forgotten players 30 years ago. Since then, they've totally stuffed it up and they'll stuff it up again this weekend."

The article enraged the local media, who have re-run it in full this week and urged Wales head coach Gareth Jenkins to pin the tirade to the changing room wall tomorrow.

But Henry, who coached Wales between 1998 and 2002, was quick to distance himself and the All Blacks from Rattue's comments.

"I hope the Welsh people realise those comments are not representative of us," said Henry.

"I'm very embarrassed by the article in the paper. I was very annoyed and angry, I still am, and I'm going to sort the fellow out when I get home.

"There's 100 years of history between New Zealand and Wales and the two teams are very close in a rugby sense.

"I think we are closer to the Welsh rugby team than any other team we play against. The teams get together after the game and have a drink, we respect each other and we respect the Welsh people.

<DIV align=center>
    < = =text/>
    <!-
    if (!.phpAds_used) .phpAds_used = ',';
    .write ("<" + " ='' ='text/' src='");
    .write ("http://www3.adireland.com/adjs.php?n=a08cffb7");
    .write ("&amp;what=z&#111;ne:218");
    .write ("&amp;exclude=" + .phpAds_used);
    .write ("'><" + "/>");
    //->

< = src="http://www3.adireland.com/adjs.php?n=a08cffb7&amp;what=z&#111;ne:218&amp;exc lude=," =text/>
    <NO></NO></DIV>

"Steve Hansen (All Blacks assistant coach) and I have both spent time here and thoroughly enjoyed those times.

"We felt very privileged to have had the opportunity to coach Wales.

"So for a guy to write that article makes me very annoyed. I apologise to the Welsh people about that article. It was very uncalled for.

"You get one or two idiots in every village and we've obviously got one over there."

All Blacks captain Richie McCaw was not initially aware of the article, but he does not fear Wales will have drawn any extra motivation from it.

"You can't get any more fired up than for a Wales v All Blacks Test match.

"We always make a point after each Test to go into the changing room and have a beer together. It doesn't happen all that often these days, but these countries make sure we do that.

"We like the Welsh guys and enjoy their company."

But there will be little friendship on the field tomorrow.

New Zealand head into the Wales game following a 41-20 victory over England and back-to-back triumphs over France, a thumping 47-3 rout in Lyon

I don't why anyone's surprised that a Kiwi wrote what they all think! They have no respect for anyone as a rugby playerexcept their own precious All Blacks. Trouble is, can anyone knock them off their pedestal?
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Ireland will in RWC2007
      that'l learn'em

If The Flintstones has taught us anything, it\'s that pelicans can be used to mix cement.

Comment

It's a SH thing. They do not rate NH rugby &amp; in particular Wal, Sco
        &amp; Irl are seen as we'd see the USA &amp; Canada or Japan. They have
        a certain amount of respect although not a lot for Eng &amp; Fra who
        they feel can give them a game every now &amp; again.

It's funny but despite this "arrogance" which to be fair is based at
        least a little bit on reality, I still want the AB's to stuff Wales
        today.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again (like picking Gordon D'Arcy) and expecting different results.
        Albert Einstein

Comment

You never know they might have peaked too early. HeyI can always live in hope, besides I've got enough for everybody!

As for the article,the stats are true but lacks respect for both the AB and in particular Wales. [img]smileys/thumb-down.gif[/img]
          To see the light one must first realise it is dark

Comment

Very factual and to the point. What he said was spot on. Like I said previously, the truth hurts the hardest. Insulting bugger though. Was he on the Late Late last night by any chance?

Comment

If anyone is the Village Idiot of World Rugby, it's New Zealand. Nearly 20 years since they last won the World Cup, they continually flatter to deceive, always promising so much, and when it comes to the crunch in the World Cup, again and again, they fall flat on their collective faces.

They have unlimited resources, a huge player base to select from, best training methods etc etc, against nations like Ireland and Wales who have nothing in comparisson, yet New Zealand hacks continually kick sand in the eyes of the other smaller nations to make them feel better about themselves, the classic Bully who has a superior complex. Christ on a Bike, Australia have picked up 2 World Cups when it's their 4th sport behind Footie, Cricket and League!

I have a ton on another nation to pick up the World Cup at a very nice 10-1. What's the point in putting cash on the Kiwis when there will always be that suspicion that they're going to fall apart when the heat is on?

Comment

Strong words, Hakaman. A bit of frustration creeping in? I thought you'd be the last to have a go at the ABs.
                To see the light one must first realise it is dark

Comment

True enough Hakaman, Imagine what team we'd have without GAA. As much
                  as I love hurling, the mind boggles just to think of the talent base
                  that would open up if neither itself or assault existed. I doubt we'd
                  be as bad as the "village idiots" whose 1st or 2nd sport it is :
                  They're awful when you think about it.

Still one of the NZ strenghts is the "Islands" Genetically those guys
                  are built for rugby, Aus seem to be able to maximise their sporting
                  ressources as well : in fact they're the model for Ireland being
                  practically in the same situation as regards sporting priority but boy
                  are they sucessfull &amp; arrogant about it I might add.
                  Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again (like picking Gordon D'Arcy) and expecting different results.
                  Albert Einstein

Comment

All over between the 2 nations that live for rugby : "Village idiots 10
                    - 45 "Arrogant bstds" A bit of a landslide but at least the VI's
                    can claim they're better than France. So much for giving them a game.
                    And before anybody says it, I realise Ireland would probably be stuffed
                    by them as well.
                    Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Hakaman

If anyone is the Village Idiot of World Rugby, it's New Zealand. Nearly 20 years since they last won the World Cup, they continually flatter to deceive, always promising so much, and when it comes to the crunch in the World Cup, again and again, they fall flat on their collective faces.

They have unlimited resources, a huge player base to select from, best training methods etc etc, against nations like Ireland and Wales who have nothing in comparisson, yet New Zealand hacks continually kick sand in the eyes of the other smaller nations to make them feel better about themselves, the classic Bully who has a superior complex. Christ on a Bike, Australia have picked up 2 World Cups when it's their 4th sport behind Footie, Cricket and League!

I have a ton on another nation to pick up the World Cup at a very nice 10-1. What's the point in putting cash on the Kiwis when there will always be that suspicion that they're going to fall apart when the heat is on?

For your sake, I hope that it's not on either France or England.

Comment

Working...
                      X